• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

November Trip

Leona Mackie

TS Member
Good Morning all :)

Looking for a wee bit of advice. We are heading to Alton Towers on the 5th and 6th of this month. Due to working commitments we miss both the Scarefest and Fireworks :-(

Can anyone tell me if there is anywhere local that I can take the kids for fireworks on Wednesday 5th? Since the park closes at 4, we will have plenty of time to explore :)

I have looked online but because I'm Scottish I'm getting kinds lost with all the different locations and trying to figure out where they are!

Another wee point, this is the kids' only holiday this year (it's been a tough one!) Do you guys know of any extra treats/experiences that won't cost the earth to make the short break a little more special for them?

Any help would be soooooooooooooo appreciated!

Thanks

Leona

Hi Leona, and welcome to the forum :). With Bonfire Night falling the way it has this year, many places have either has their displays this weekend, or in the case of Alton and Trentham Gardens are going for next weekend. Having a quick look online, there doesn't seem to be a great deal going on in terms of organised displays I'm afraid, so you may be out of luck on that one :(.

One thing worth considering is maybe heading into the hills around Staffordshire where you should get an awesome view of the towns/villages below and watch some fireworks from there? I don't know any stopping points specifically, but I know you can get some brilliant views from up in the moorlands when I've driven back from Towers at night.

Hi Craig and thanks for the reply!

The best I could find is 1 in Stoke on Trent, but I'm not sure if the kiddies (or the husband!) will be up for that drive after a day at the park, especially since we are staying overnight in Stafford. I'm sure we'll have a ball without fireworks, I just thought I'd ask!

Hi Leona,

Where are you stopping over? Is it in the Alton Towers hotels or elsewhere?

We are staying at the Stafford Holiday Inn Express on Wed night, We've got a 2 day pass for the park :)
Ok, cool! You may want to consider playing Extraordinary Golf after your day on park on one of the 2 days, if your kids are into mini golf like that. :) I believe it's £6pp for a 9 hole course.

Alternatively if you want something to do on the day after your second park visit, you could also visit the Alton Towers Water Park, which is always good fun, and £12pp I believe. Something like that anyway. :)

I will have a look at that :) Any hints or tips for the kids apart from Cbeeies land, which I'm sick of hearing about!, anything I can ask for a guest services etc to make them feel a bit special?

From guest services? No, unless you have a complaint about something in particular, where you may be able to blag some fast track or a return ticket. The only thing you can buy that would make them feel special would be fast track which can be bought from the resort box office next to guest services, however I expect the park will be absolutely dead next week, and will not be worth buying this. If your kids are excited for CBeebies Land, I can only assume that they're very young, and won't need the fast track as they won't be going on any of the big rides.

There's lots of things for the kids to do! All the attractions in CBeebies Land, Mutiny Bay and Cloud Cuckoo Land to name but a few. A parent and toddler map can be collected for free when you pass through the turnstiles on Towers Street. If you want a bit of quirky fun which Towers don't supply, you can always have a go at the scavenger hunt that I devised which should keep you amused all day as you venture around the park. This will get you to explore all the park, and maybe areas you had never visited before or didn't even know exist!

Alton Towers Treasure Hunt

Towers Street (Total = 5 points)

The TARDIS - 5 points

Adventure Land(Total = 10 points)

The Beastie - 10 points

X Sector (Total = 22 points)

A piece of Smiler merchandise that isn’t worthless tat. - 5 points

A sign with SW4 on it. - 10 points

The Smiler’s sub-station. - 2 points

All 5 marmaliser effect working. - 5 points

Dark Forest (Total = 30 points)

The back of the Thirteen van, facing the queue line. - 20 points

A mannequin in the forest. - 10 points

Mutiny Bay(Total = 22 points)

Railway buffers. - 5 points

A photo of a group member with their head sticking through the MB sign. - 2 points

The group doing a conga through the ocean tunnel in Sharkbait Reef. - 5 points

A giant duck. - 10 points

Katanga Canyon (Total = 10 points)

The Aqualand sign. - 10 points

Gloomy Wood(Total = 10 points)

A plaque in a phone box. - 5 points

A photo of a group member in Duel’s extended queue line. - 5 points

Forbidden Valley (Total = 20 points)

Ripsaw the cat. - 10 points

A sign giving directions for Dynamo. - 10 points

Anywhere (Total = 156)

An empty fastrack queue. - 5 points

An empty single rider queue. - 5 points

A spelling/punctuation/grammar mistake on a sign. - 2 points

A photo of a member of your team with a member of staff. - 5 points

A group member in a ride’s test seat. - 2 points per test seat

A pointless post. - 5 points

A duck family photo. - 5 points

An animal head mount. - 10 points

Steps labeled “Steps” on the park map. - 2 points per set of steps

Some remnant of Ug Land. - 10 points

WiFi routers.(Sponsored by Where’s WiFi Wednesday.) - 1 point per WiFi. Extra 20 for all 70 WiFis.

A member of the public in a ride queue, with merchandise of that ride. (I.e. in The Smiler queue, wearing a Smiler hoodie.) - 5 points

A photo of 130 (Not this one, cheeky!). - 10 points

Overall total = 285

Have fun! :D