• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

NYE Fireworks

He's been down for the past couple of years, made his first television appearance last year, and made his first speech this year. ;)

And I thought this topic was actually going to be about fireworks! How silly of me!

On the subject of the fireworks themselves, I thought they were fairly average in comparison to previous years. There wasn't as much as a wow factor, the runs around the Eye were pretty weak and not as refined or as well used as they were even last year. The only redeeming feature was the "sky puke" finale, which was appropriately over the top - must have been great to experience it in person.

Once more the BBC's dire coverage blighted the TV viewing though. I don't understand why they feel obliged to cut between different angles every 10 seconds, especially to the pointless crowd shots! Just leave a wide angle camera on for the entire display so you can see it properly!

Alastair said:
Once more the BBC's dire coverage blighted the TV viewing though. I don't understand why they feel obliged to cut between different angles every 10 seconds,

In general across TV this infuriates me. The true skill of camera work artistically is appropriately relaying the action occurring to your audience, not how many different views/angles etc you can squeeze into as short a time as humanly possible.

If we are at a concert watching a show, we don't as an audience run all around the place to get as many different views as possible - you get the best one and STAY THERE. Imagine if we had conversations that way?

Preach it! I hate it when they point the camera at the audience. Do I want to see 100s of people pointing their phones up high? No I do not!

The changing camera angle every 10 seconds is annoying too. You miss out so much when the camera changes angles. They should just have one shot of the whole area so you can enjoy the display in all its glory. Then the BBC can do their multi-angle camera shots for use in the press and other media.

The fireworks were ok - nothing spectacular. The finale was a bit OTT. Although that seems to be the 'in thing' with displays of the past few years.