• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Oakwood Discussion

Those gerst spinners look really good but i doubt we'd be gettin them unless my question i posted before is the latter statement.

I found this on oakwood's website:
Oakwood Theme Park is making use of discarded pallets and other waste material to create a series of useful new features including bike sheds and flower planters.

The recycling scheme is the brainchild of the Pembrokeshire attraction’s maintenance managers, Matt Abel.

Matt’s woodworking skills have helped him create a giant set of wooden planters in the shape of a train and a bike shed to encourage more cyclists to visit the theme park.

“With such a large attraction we are always looking at ways to reduce our waste and increase the amount we are able to recycle,” said Matt.

“We have a number of old wooden pallets on site which weren’t being used for anything and it seemed a shame to just throw them away so I came up with the idea of creating something useful out of them.

“The train was made up of old plant boxes that were removed from the park last season, we pressure washed to clean them up and made them in to a little train that has been planted with daffodils and other seasonal flowers to greet guests when entering the park

“It was a lot of work but I’m really pleased with the results and I can’t wait to see what the train flower planters look like when the daffodils start to bloom.

“Hopefully the fact that we are able to provide a covered shelter for people’s bicycles will also encourage more cyclists to come and visit the theme park,” he added.

As well as providing visitors with a floral welcome to the park, the wooden train will also act as a barrier to direct guests towards Oakwood’s own miniature railway which travels around the park.

Oakwood Theme Park has announced ambitious plans for a massive new investment programme for 2013.

The Pembrokeshire attraction is to spend more than £4m creating a major new family park area. The new development will feature seven new rides and attractions, including a spectacular water ride alongside a series of children’s play areas and other themed attractions.

Pretty much confirms there will be seven rides including a spectacular water ride .... Hopefully It will be.

You'll have a hard time making one "spectacular" ride for £4m, never mind that plus six other attractions. in a whole new area.

If it wasn't in the bum end of nowhere I'd make the effort to go and have a look. But it really is hard to get to!

Oakwood2013.jpg
This is an image of the area they are diging out. obviously the area wil probably be larger then that but its where they are starting.

Details revealed:

THEME PARK REVEALS DETAILS OF NEW RIDES!!!

Oakwood Theme Park has revealed the first detailed plans of its new £4-million family-themed attraction which opens later this year.

The Pembrokeshire park is creating a major magical-themed area with seven new rides and attractions; including a spectacular water ride alongside a series of children's play areas and other themed attractions.

The pirate-themed water ride features a giant 12metre (40ft) tall sculpted skull with a waterfall flume cascading from one of the eye sockets.

Visitors will journey through the inside of the massive rocky skull through a series of themed tableaux before their boat emerges back into the outside world via the eye.

Other rides and attractions will include a junior coaster, a mini galleon, a London taxi ride and an interactive walkthrough experience.

Work is already well under way on the new site with key ride features due to arrive over the next few weeks.

Oakwood Park Director Dominic Jones said: “It’s incredible to see how quickly the build process is going. We have got an excellent and highly-experienced team on site who are working really well together.

“When I come in every morning something new has been completed and it’s so exciting to see our plans coming to life before our eyes.

“The pirate-themed skull flume ride will look absolutely amazing and will provide visitors with an awesome new experience which is totally unique,” he added.

Set in close to 90 acres of spectacular countryside Oakwood is Wales’ biggest family adventure with more than 30 exhilarating rides and amazing experiences to discover.

A unique combination of attractions includes world-class roller, tower and sky coasters, spectacular family rides, children’s themed play areas and so much more.

Issued by Oakwood Theme Park. For more information and to arrange interview and picture/filming opportunities please contact Dominic Jones on 01834 815170.

This is soo exciting a large log flume and loads of other stuff
225280_10151327142081395_811504026_n.jpg

The Artists Impression of the log flume :)

log_flume_b1.jpg
i think the log flume is the camelot one im not sure although local residents did say they saw it leave the park whether this is true im not sure but comparing the two photos oakwood's version is alot nicer :)

That's not going to cost a lot is it.

If they are scouring the second hand market, putting in a load of rides cheap, and spending that money on big themes - well, hard to argue with that isn't it. That impression looks rather stunning. If they theme all their rides with that level of attention, especially as an independent, it is important for us these parks do well.

Can do nothing but praise, great use of investment, pending the other rides of course! This creates a nice balance of rides for them with Megafobia and Speed. I don't know a huge amount about this place, will be following this more closely though now.

Seems clever work though.

Bloody hell, some decent looking theming being posted on Oakwood's Facebook!

522686_349472815168477_1665120383_n.jpg

182457_350308511751574_1213005209_n.jpg

"Looking good boy's, I always wanted a tree house!!"

(arggggggh that apostrophe...)

374491_350308611751564_1708821399_n.jpg

"So much work going on even the old buildings are have a complete overhaul exciting times here at the park!!"

382248_350308661751559_626200788_n.jpg

"The ground works for the Exciting New Pirate Theme Log Flume Ride"

559758_352318708217221_1208081573_n.jpg

"The boy's hard at work creating the magical new entrance to our spectacular development."

(argh again)

62122_352318664883892_1470026147_n.jpg

"Looking good can't wait to see the end result!!"

581733_355760114539747_339424954_n.jpg

"First look at our exciting new column in the new development, it's all starting to take shape and come together now!!"

374563_355760127873079_122440883_n.jpg

"That's better we got you looking at the camera this time :)"

Bloody hell, that Nelson's Column bit of theming is pretty high quality... :eek:

This is why a small, cheap ride is sometimes a better option over spending all the budget on just rides. This theming looks awesome! If they're purchasing a few other rides like some others suggested which will also get the same standard of theming then Oakwood have done very well indeed!

;D

I assume they've got the rides dirt cheap then? That theming looks superb, I never believed Oakwood would be capable of such good theming, especially given how small of a park it is.

This could turn out to be a very good year for the park as long as they get their marketing right!

Some updates from Oakwood's FB page.

The log flume still has some way to go:
24436_362202020562223_1300031912_n.jpg

There's also a new themed area, "Circus land", on the site of Plane Crazy - no word on what's happening to that though...
526935_10151538198434776_220460165_n.jpg

484025_10151538198249776_628126398_n.jpg

553286_10151538198554776_840544997_n.jpg

65272_10151538198224776_139512002_n.jpg

521471_10151538198139776_1128747590_n.jpg

579523_10151538198544776_1711516263_n.jpg

That clown area looks scary lol, especially this one!

65272_10151538198224776_139512002_n.jpg

Am I the only one that can imagine that character behind the red chair coming to life, ala "chucky" or other 90's comedy/horror films style?

Makes Carnival of Screams look welcoming ;D

Pirate theming looks cliched, but to a good high standard. The circus themed stuff doesn't make sense, it doesn't look nice and looks as temporary as a cake at a weight watchers meeting.

Hope the log flume turns out better!

I've been following the ongoing updates from Oakwood since I heard about the £4million investment with a mixture of firstly genuine interest, quickly followed by amusement and national shame. Oakwood is, after all, "Wales' biggest day out".

Oakwood is clearly trying to do too much with too little which is going to end up leaving the park with nothing very worthwhile to show for it. I feel the money could be better spent on a decent coaster. Speed and Megafobia are both great rides but are completely at odds with the cruddiness of the rest of the park.

As it is they are 'investing' in a crap third-hand water ride, some crap theming and very little else. I don't see that drawing in much extra revenue.

Another genuine good ride would perhaps shift the bias from being a kitsch run-down hole in the middle of nowhere to a wothwhile destination with some exciting rides.

I'm not convinced by this circus stuff - it's an interesting use of space but the Plane Crazy queue building was actually quite well themed and interesting. You don't often see a faux airport terminal / air traffic control tower in a theme park xD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

What they need is a 13 style family thrill ride, nothing too intense as to only interest geeks, but something that's easy to market and has wide appeal. You only need look at the Ben 10 ride at Drayton Manor to see what a simple ride with good theming can do for your reputation.

Scott said:
You don't often see a faux airport terminal / air traffic control tower in a theme park xD
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

If you still want to see some airport theming, "Zooom!" at Flamingo Land has some. :)