• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Oakwood Discussion

I've not visited Drayton since 2008 although out of all the UK parks I found (at the time at least) the food there to be the best!

I never expect much food wise in theme parks. It's always overpriced and usually unhealthy food - as long as the area it's in looks clean and it keeps me going for the day I'm happy!

AstroDan said:
There was no whoring in the dark really as they shut the big stuff a fair bit prior to 10pm.

:(
When did you visit? Both times I've done after dark event I've managed to get at least 2 rides in after sunset! But I spose.. whoring nah.

Oakwoods food is utterly disgusting, absolutely hate the stuff. Bought stuff from tesco last time and ate it in the car. Worse than lightwaters. Drayton is positively lovely, the chicken is alright and humble pies is fantastic.

As for throughputs, they're okay. The coasters go quick enough. Dunno why you're moaning about Speed, even on one car they dispatch within 10 seconds (they dont check restraints, there's no need to). Guests can batch themselves into 8, always do and always will.

Jared said:
DiogoJ42 said:
Oakwood has by far the worst food of any park I have ever visited.

Honestly? I think Drayton Manor is worse *Well, that and a few of the small regional parks in Germany that I've done).

Drayton's food is extremely bad! Granted, I've not visited since 2011, but then it was not even worthy of my money. I actually left the park to get a McDonalds before returning afterwards.

What meal did you have? I've always found Drayton's food to be alright compared to most other parks.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Several pics were uploaded to the Oakwood "Developer's Diary" facebook page recently, including this one:

1003068_510696365712787_818423775_n.jpg

Sat in the background is part of Cup and Sorcerer from Camelot, one of the most (unintentionally) intense kids ride currently in the UK. Presumably they bought this at the same time as all the other rides they got from Camelot last year but wanted to spread the installations across two seasons. Hopefully they'll be opening slightly more substantial too.

Joseph said:
I'm sorry what?
Mark-Cal said:
Oakwood is top of my "UK must do " list for 2014, but I have to say if it wasn't for Megaphobia I don't think I'd be making the journey across six time zones from the east midlands.
Errm if i'm not mistaken every country in the United Kingdom uses GMT.
That's the joke.

While I suspect there is not actually much difference, for me the journey to Oakwood feels shorter than the trek to Lightwater.

If Oakwood are indeed getting a coaster as rumoured, then I will definitely be visiting again this year. Particularly as we know, based on how well they did Neverland, that the theming will probably be superb and it will be much more than just a second hand coasster plonked on a flat bit of land :)

I do think if anything really substantial was being built, something would have leaked out by now.

Oakwood has appointed a new head of marketing (press release below). Interesting points for 2014 (for those who don't want to read the full thing below):

- New attractions: Kids soft play area and a "children's ride".
- "Something very exciting planned for the summer" - it could be a new attraction although may be something else.
- There will be a new themed restaurant.

Exciting times for Oakwood. The success of Neverland last year I think has really pushed them to expand the parks offerings. While they do not quite have the same funds as the big boy parks in the UK it's quite an exciting time for this small park. I think Oakwood will be a place to keep an eye on over the coming years. I'd hope in 5 years time we either see or hear of a new big roller coaster coming to the place.

THEME PARK APPOINTS HEAD OF MARKETING

Oakwood Theme Park has appointed a new head of marketing as part of its ongoing investment programme.

Graduate Clare Stansfield has more than a decade’s experience as a marketer across a wide range of businesses.

She moved to Tenby in 2012 and has a two-year-old son, who is delighted with his mummy’s new role.

“I am delighted to have been given the opportunity to head up Oakwood’s marketing team,” said Clare.

“Oakwood experienced a significant increase in visitor numbers last year and I am really looking forward to building upon that success.

“The park invested £4.5 million in its new Neverland area and this year we have more major investment that will see the creation of a new soft play area, a children’s ride, a whole new themed restaurant and something very exciting planned for the summer!” she added.

The Pembrokeshire park enjoyed its busiest season in more than a decade last year following the opening of the Peter Pan-themed Neverland.

As a result visitor numbers were 40 per cent up on the previous year and bosses are keen to continue growing the business.

Park Director Dominic Jones said: “Clare’s appointment and the ongoing development of our marketing department alongside the investment in the visitor experience is a clear indication of our growing ambitions.

“Our aim is to continue to grow, expand and improve the theme park and welcome more visitors.

“Pembrokeshire is an amazing place to visit and our job is to work alongside other attractions, accommodation providers and tourism bodies to ensure we are showcasing what this region has to offer.

“With Clare’s help we plan to further raise our profile and establish ourselves as a must-visit attraction,” he added.

The park, which re-opens to the public on April 11th, is also planning to continue developing its close links to the local community.

Set in 80 acres of spectacular countryside Oakwood is Wales’ biggest family adventure with more than 30 exhilarating rides and amazing experiences to discover.

A unique combination of attractions includes world-class roller, tower and sky coasters, spectacular family rides, children’s themed play areas and so much more.

970131_10152341897224776_1971758708_n.jpg

Oakwood have stated they plan to open a series of major attractions this summer, while no details have yet been announced, according to the article in the link below the park are planning a Sleepy Hollow themed area with a series of attractions based on this theme. The following names have been registered as trade marks- ‘The Headless Horseman’ and ‘The Tree of the Dead’

http://riderater.co.uk/2014/oakwood-set-to-launch-sleepy-hollow-attractions/

If true sounds like following up last years Neverland with an area aimed at an older audience. Great to see after years of No investment, the new owners are Investing money into the place.

How does it stand in terms of copyright or whatever when it comes to using 200-year-old books as a theme? It does sound great though.

I would have thought one of the mega corporations would own the rights to it. They own everything, after all, even if they didn't create it. ::)

Oakwood has been owned by the same company since 2008. 2009-2012 they concentrated a lot on refining the brand image, a new logo, improvements behind the scenes, restructure of staff levels... only until 2012 did they reach the point of having fully fledged plans to set in motion for the theme park. The great reception to Neverland last year has no doubt pushed them even further to continue improving the park.

The Oak Tree Restaurant Bar & Grill opened yesterday at Oakwood, new for this year. Oakwood posted a few pictures on Facebook yesterday:

10172630_10152363021959776_2451270822200353003_n.jpg

1508146_10152363024709776_5729897254802432921_n.jpg

10246821_10152363025694776_6365434053422403752_n.jpg

Not 'themed' in the way I think most will expect but still it's nicely done!

Is that a referb of the canteen near Hydro? Looks much better if it is, hardly recognisable!

Wow, that looks really smart (too bland for my liking though).

Glad they have got around to refurbishing that café, I remember how shabby it was last time I went - there were huge holes in the seats!

Only thing is from those pictures it looks like it is now a waiter service restaurant and will probably be quite expensive for lunchtime meals compared to before.

:)

CoasterCrazyChris said:
Only thing is from those pictures it looks like it is now a waiter service restaurant and will probably be quite expensive for lunchtime meals compared to before.

:)

It's the only way to do it if you're going to have a wider choice of food.

They've really pulled up their socks have Oakwood good luck to them! I hope they succeed Lord knows the UK needs the competition

I hope the food has improved with the interior!!!

Oakwood always used to be my local and with sadness I used to see it go down hill every year I visited. I hope they do turn things around, but agree that the next "big thing" needs to be a decent coaster.

Speed also needs to be finished. The area around it is embarrising - for a ride called Speed, there is so much you could do with the themeing of the area.

Voodoo mansion needs to go as well!!