• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Oakwood Discussion

They have recently updated their Park Map on the website, and you can see that there is an image of a tree by the Major Investment sign. Possibly to do with this Sleepy Hollow theme??
u9yha7ub.jpg

If Neverland is anything to go by, this new development could have some really great theming! Can't wait to see what they do! :)

Anyone up for this?

DREAM JOB’ ON OFFER AT THEME PARK
A newly-created ‘dream job’ is up for grabs at Oakwood Theme Park.
The Canaston Bridge park, which enjoyed its busiest season for more than a decade in 2013, is now recruiting for a new Head of Park Operations role.
The new appointment is part of the park’s ongoing investment programme which saw the opening of the £4.5m Neverland family-themed attraction last year as well as a series of new rides and features this season.
Oakwood Theme Park Director Dominic Jones said the new role would be a ‘dream job’ for the right candidate and reflected the park’s ongoing commitment to growth and investment.
“Following on from the success of last season it became clear that we needed to create a new post that would oversee the day-to-day running of the park.
“Oakwood is growing and developing at its fastest level since it opened and we need to put together a team of highly motivated and enthusiastic staff to keep pace with our ambitious expansion plans.
“The new Head of Park Operations job will have an overview of all of Oakwood’s activities and ensure we are able to continually improve and expand our visitor experience.
“This really is the dream job for someone who is interested in developing a long-term career in the theme park industry and it’s something that I wish had been around when I was starting off,” he added.
Investments at the park for the 2014 season include a new themed restaurant and Hook’s House of Havoc, a £150,000 indoor soft play adventure area.
Bosses are also due to announce details of a major new ride which is due to open in time for the summer.
Set in 90 acres of spectacular Pembrokeshire countryside, Oakwood is one of the UK’s leading theme parks with more than 30 exhilarating attractions; including four world class rides to enjoy.
• To find out more about the Head of Park Operations role visit www.oakwoodthemepark.co.uk/jobs or call 01834 815170. Oakwood Theme Park, Canaston Bridge, Narberth, Pembrokeshire SA67 8DE.
Issued by Oakwood Theme Park. For more information please call Clare Stansfield or Dominic Jones on 01834 815170.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/oakwoodthemepk/posts/10152432171524776

To be fair it's not really a new position, it's just a re-branding of the job of someone who's recently left Oakwood, pretty much the same job. But meh, be interesting to see who they get for that, someone with a wide knowledge of theme parks would be really beneficial to Oakwood as, due to its remote location, it could be easy for them to fall behind what other parks in the UK are doing.

They been working on the summer development for some time now. It'll be a retheme of the Wild West area, the new theme will be based on 'The Legend of Sleepy Hollow'. Oakwood have been very good at keeping quiet with details of the area plans!

It looks set to mainly be a retheme more than anything else. But even that's 'major' for a park that before 2013 had done nothing to improve the place. The fact they seem to be working on decently themed areas is a good sign that park bosses are serious about making the place more appealing - and of course the next few years will hopefully lead up to a long awaited new roller coaster to be on the cards!

Spooky 3D has been open this season so doesn't seem like anything will be happening to it! Not for this year at least.

Alton Towers have recently been recruiting for a new Head of Park Operations. I've just read the description for the post at Oakwood and I'm sure that parts of it are copied word for word from the Towers post!

:)

Sam said:
So is this going to involve a retheme and/or upgrade of Spooky 3D? :D

Trust me, it will be way, way more than that.

Don't forget that Oakwood closed Brer early at the end of last season to make way for something new. Spooky is the only part of Wild West which has remained open since the start of this season which suggests this is what will get the least attention.

It's also worth noting that the arcade which has always been in Wild West has now moved to the top of the hill suggesting that this buildin will also be used as something new, possibly a similar experience to the Journey to Neverland walk through.

Bosses are also due to announce details of a major new ride which is due to open in time for the summer

I'm guessing that things must still be 'up in the air' over this new ride, otherwise they would have announced it by now, surely? It's very nearly 'summer', and they need to start drumming up the hype.

If it met any conventional definition of 'major new ride' and will actually open this summer, we'd know what it is by now. Set those phasers to 'disappointment'.

One thing that Oakwood have in their favour, is that its in the middle of nowhere and therefore not many enthusiasts actually go there every week to see the progress.

I expect to be disappointed, but secretly I hope that Oakwood pull something out the bag. I really like what they have done the last couple of seasons.

#FingersCrossed :)

I'm not sure I agree that we'd know about it by now. Oakwood last year did an extremely good job of keeping quiet about the theme of Neverland. That wasn't officially announced until literally a couple of weeks before opening date, despite the fact that the massive stone archway was in place since the start of the season with a banner covering the woords "Neverland".

Oakwood are very good at keeping quiet about things and "summer" could be anything up to start of August. They have plenty of time to install an off-the-shelf coaster and give it some nice theming and I'm sure all this is planned.

I'm hoping for a little family thrill off the shelf coaster at most now otherwise it'll just be a re theme if not announced before middle of June I think

I have just come back from Wales and went to Oakwood last Thursday. The new restaurant is a lot fresher but the way it works isn't very good at all, the staff didn't know what they were doing and you didn't know what to do yourself! No menus on the table, cutlery wasn't given so we had to ask and we had to get the salt and peppers from the other tables. The staff on ticket booths and ride ops however were really friendly and made a great day out! In terms of the new development the area had no sign of life and hasn't changed at all from the image above, I can now only assume the new development will open next year instead. The park seemed good in general, and was still a good day out!

Sounds about right for Oakwood tbh.; A mixed bag of a few great rides and dire everything else.

Will this park ever do anything ambitious again?

In the decade from 1996-2006 the McNamara family put in Megafobia, Vertigo, The Bounce, Hydro and Speed at Oakwood....yet what of the decade or so since under new owners? Nothing much but a mediocre second hand log flume and a park rebrand (garish bright green). Admittedly, overall Neverland was a pretty decent quality themed kids area but it simply isn't enough from a large company like Aspro.

And this so called "major investment" seems to be a non-starter. There must be some information around it?

:)

Its so gutting as Oakwood could have been an outstanding park. It still could be, but I htink the owners have no clear direction on where they are heading. Dare I say it but if Merlin bought this park they could really put in some pretty large world class rides due to its location (i.e. its in a dip and they could built HIGH above tree height).

They have rested on their laurels for too long now with "Coaster County" just because they have Megafobia. Yeah its a great woodie but it doesnt make me want to visit the park seeing as I have been on it so much in the past. Speed could have been something special but the area around it still looks unfinished and there is absolutle yno themeing whatsoever.

Bounce must be on its last legs, as must be the pirate ship by now. Hydro has horrendous queues and Vertigo costs £30 a go. Spooky 3D is dire (was good when it opened).

I loved Oakwood, it had potential and it was a nice place to visit. The past years have seen tatty areas of the park, and low staffing levels, resulting in miserable, overworked staff.

Come on Oakwood, do something special, get people visiting again!!!!!!