• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Oakwood Discussion

Does anyone know when Bounce was last fully operational (I mean completely open, not just randomly for a few hours)?

I went on it last in spring of 2016, but on all my return visits to Oakwood since then, I’ve not seen it running.

Last I went on it was May 2009 and it was having issues then doing emergency stops at the top. Not sure if it closed the year after that

Don’t know if I’d feel comfortable going on that again now after being sat there idle for so long!
They've pretty much rebuilt it, a real labour of love. Every credit to them.

Oakwood has always been fairly light on attractions, but the lack of Bounce has always felt like a real gap, not least because it's been sat there.

Last edited:
Good to hear about Bounce! That ride's reopening was still on the agenda when I last visited Oakwood nearly 3 years ago, and I think it may even have been shut on my first visit, a school trip all the way back in 2016, so its reopening finally happening is certainly welcome!

I must say, I do have a soft spot for Oakwood as a park! Yes, it isn't the biggest, and it might not have anything too earth-shattering rides-wise by modern standards, but it's certainly a hidden gem, in my view, and a fun little place to spend a few hours!

I am looking for new theme parks to visit - we have done the following a few times - Alton Towers, Thorpe Park, Drayton Manor, Chessington, Legoland, Paultons Park, Blackpool Pleasurebeach and Pleasurewood Hills.

I am looking at Oakwood - is it worth a visit in the summer holidays? We have 2 children under 6 who like rides. Or any other recommendations of places to visit?

We are hoping for Europa Park and Disneyland Paris next year but budget won’t allow this year!

I am looking for new theme parks to visit - we have done the following a few times - Alton Towers, Thorpe Park, Drayton Manor, Chessington, Legoland, Paultons Park, Blackpool Pleasurebeach and Pleasurewood Hills.

I am looking at Oakwood - is it worth a visit in the summer holidays? We have 2 children under 6 who like rides. Or any other recommendations of places to visit?

We are hoping for Europa Park and Disneyland Paris next year but budget won’t allow this year!
Are you going to be holidaying in the South Wales area anyway? If so then definitely visit Oakwood.
Otherwise it depends on how far you are to drive there.

I'd always recommend a visit to Oakwood, it's charming and does have some nice rides for all ages - but it's small.

If you go with an understanding of what the park is and what it's not, you'll have a great time. Folly Farm is not far up the road if you fancied making a few days out of the area.

I'd always recommend a visit to Oakwood, it's charming and does have some nice rides for all ages - but it's small.

If you go with an understanding of what the park is and what it's not, you'll have a great time. Folly Farm is not far up the road if you fancied making a few days out of the area.

Good advice - thank you. Is it similar to Pleasurewood Hills? We had a good day there recently but that has the nostalgia factor for me.

You can also chain it with Coney Beach which is halfway back to England on the south coast of Wales. From memory they have a Big Apple, Go Gator, Nessi and a few small flat rides, plus it's next to the beach as the name implies.

I’d say take your own food if you go to Oakwood. It’s very expensive and poor quality there. Oakwood is with a visit for megafobia and speed but not much else attracts me there anymore. Queues in the water rides in the summer particularly when they run them on one staff can be horrendous. Try and go out of summer holidays off at all possible.

Barry island isn’t worth a a visit and porthcawl (coney island) used to be great but I’ve not been there for many years now so not sure what it’s like anymore. Was very run down last time I went.

I’m afraid wales don’ doesn’t offer much in tens of quality theme parks!!!

Oakwood’s a nice little hidden gem of a park, and definitely worth a visit, but I wouldn’t go there anticipating a full day’s worth of things to do. Unless you’re very keen on reriding things over and over.

In the summer holidays, though, it might be busier; I don’t really know. Although with that being said, my last visit was in May half term, and it was deserted… we weren’t even sure if Speed was open upon initially approaching it, and the operator looked very surprised to see us!

For some idea, we spent no more than 3 hours (my photo library suggests somewhere in the ballpark of 2.5-3 hours was spent there) at Oakwood that day and got on 8 rides, as well as the Peter Pan walkthrough. And it must be said that we weren’t exactly rushing around by any means.

It is a nice little park, though! The place has a charm about it that I can’t quite place my finger on, and I do think that Oakwood has a respectable selection of hardware for a park of its calibre!

Last edited: