• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Oblivion: General Discussion

Some good photos there, I think what those photos highlight more than anything, is that it appears the track was lowered into the tunnel after the tunnel was built. Even though it is not totally clear, it appears that way, I am sure I have seen photos somewhere before backing that up also.

This means, that should Oblivion have a re track in the future of which I hope it would if it ever needed it, being one of the most iconic and photo genic coasters on this planet (specifically the drop). Then, it is possible to replace track in the tunnel, if it was needed.

Some good photos there, I think what those photos highlight more than anything, is that it appears the track was lowered into the tunnel after the tunnel was built. Even though it is not totally clear, it appears that way, I am sure I have seen photos somewhere before backing that up also.

This means, that should Oblivion have a re track in the future of which I hope it would if it ever needed it, being one of the most iconic and photo genic coasters on this planet (specifically the drop). Then, it is possible to replace track in the tunnel, if it was needed.
Definitely! Would be great to see Oblivion last a long time in the upcoming decades, I'm just hoping if they do want to retrack it, I won't be a Nemesis Reborn like way, but just close it down for a year and that area of X-Sector, then reopen it the following year with a TLC program but relatively the same. I wouldn't mind a new flat ride or 2 that are actually themed to X-Sector (Not Smiler Themed) though when Oblivion is down the season, would help massively in terms of keeping the crowd levels under control.

I do wonder how they even manage to get the track down there though. How did they even lift in in place at the bottom? Could a vehicle even fit in there, heck even be able to get in there?

You could fit ten double decker buses down that hole apparently.
Looked bigger at the time, you couldn't see the bottom of the hole from the edge fence.
They put the track in with a big crane...no surprise there.

I'm just hoping if they do want to retrack it, I won't be a Nemesis Reborn like way, but just close it down for a year and that area of X-Sector, then reopen it the following year with a TLC program but relatively the same.
Why? Unlike Nemesis, Oblivion's theme is very weak, dated and boring. Its theme is really just a logo, some pipes and selling the idea that it's a world first (nobody cares anymore). It's ripe for change!

Why? Unlike Nemesis, Oblivion's theme is very weak, dated and boring. Its theme is really just a logo, some pipes and selling the idea that it's a world first (nobody cares anymore). It's ripe for change!
I guess it's subjective, but I really like Oblivions 90s look and feel as there really isn't anything else like it in the Theme Park industry. Whenever I queue for The Smiler, most people seem really bored or frustrated from the soundtrack, but when I queue for Oblivion, people seem to really like the queues aesthetic and sound effects, and boy do they love dancing to the music XD. Kids still seem to be quite creeped out by the Lord Of Darkness himself.

Controversial opinion, but I think Oblivion has aged quite well from what it is as a theme, which I think the exact opposite for the Smiler which has aged not too well I think. The concept for the Smiler is actually great and could've blended so well into X-Sector, but I think it could've been executed better thanks to the bland concrete building, horrendous queue layout, and annoying Soundtrack. Anyway, this isn't the Smilers thread.

Maybe most Enthusiasts don't like Oblivions theme, but from what I've seen anyway when I'm on site, the GP still seem to really like it.

Despite your opinion the whole ethos of Oblivion lives on. Despite the terrible job Towers do of selling the ride if you look online there is a lot more kudos there than we give it. To be fair there isn't another dive coaster in the world with a hole like Blivvy.

I think we take it for granted. And yes it is a brief experience, but having ridden longer dive coasters......they are quite boring after the drop .

I think that some people forget that the general public love this ride, despite the short queues. If I ever ask a 'GP' what their favourite ride at Towers is, it is usually either The Smiler, Nemesis or Oblivion.
A retracking wouldn't surprise me.

Last edited:
I think its easy to forget how big this coaster is with most of the drop being hidden. If im right doesnt it have the 3rd highest drop currently in the UK behind the big one and stealth.

It always gets my heart racing with how slow it goes up the lifthill and around the top

I do like the 1984 theming idea of it though I agree the ride could do with a refresh of the theme. Nothing too major but something akin to Alton Manor in which the refresh keeps the feeling of the ride in place.

It's funny that given how Merlin always love to do sinister or dark themes with their rides like we're seeing with the Nemesis retrack that we would have seem them do something with Oblivion yet they've done hee haw with it.

Oblivion definitely still captures the imagination, yes the theming looks a bit grotty and dated now. And potentially people might not care about the world's first aspect any more, but to lose such an iconic ride would be a major hit for the park. It may be brief, but in the context of the towers ride line up, it is still a heavy hitter.

Sent from my 2201116SG using Tapatalk