• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Oblivion: General Discussion

It can't be this as acceleration due to gravity is independent of mass. In the absence of air resistance, all objects regardless of how heavy they are will accelerate at the same rate if they are in free fall.

I'd agree that the lack of spring loaded wheels could give a more wild ride though.
The OP said weight, not mass. . .

Mass is intrinsic to matter, but weight is the force of gravity on that mass.

And we don't live in a vacuum. . So that's a bit of a moot point.

The OP said weight, not mass. . .

Mass is intrinsic to matter, but weight is the force of gravity on that mass.

And we don't live in a vacuum. . So that's a bit of a moot point.
Not going to get into a physics argument, but weight is just mass multiplied by gravitational acceleration. Higher mass means higher gravitational force on an object, but it doesn't accelerate faster because it has more inertia- due to its higher mass. They cancel each other out. The mathematical version of this is online if you want to look for it.

Regarding wind resistance, no we don't live in a vacuum but I suspect that a 2x8 car and a 3x6 car(s) are not going to experience much difference in wind resistance, particularly at the speeds they typically travel at.

As we are on the topic of Oblivion's restraints; if Oblivion were to receive new trains as part of a future retracking, I would want them to have standard OTSR's because the vest restraints apparently (never been on a B&M Dive Coasrer with vest restraints) minimise the force that you experience on the attraction.

Last edited:
Forgive me for a bit of naivety, but if they were to re-track, how much would really need to be done? On Nemisis, they haven't done the hill climb, and I cant see the drop having that much ware and tear on it (I could be wrong) so would it potentially just be the other side of sed drop?

It’s interesting that BGT recently retracked a section of Sheikra that gets soaked by the splashdown. I wonder if Oblivions mist has had a detrimental effect on the track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Having done the dive coaster at Liseberg with the new restraints I actually think they make the ride so much better! Especially if you are on the front row, as you start to go over the drop you really go forwards in to your restraint, unlike the traditional restraints. Especially as the new ones don’t lock like the Swarms.

Having done the dive coaster at Liseberg with the new restraints I actually think they make the ride so much better! Especially if you are on the front row, as you start to go over the drop you really go forwards in to your restraint, unlike the traditional restraints. Especially as the new ones don’t lock like the Swarms.
Interesting. Perhaps the newer-gen vest restraints that Valkyria uses could improve the ride experience then?

It’s interesting that BGT recently retracked a section of Sheikra that gets soaked by the splashdown. I wonder if Oblivions mist has had a detrimental effect on the track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It almost certainly would. Steel is only protected by the paint. Paint that wares off over time.

This is what I love about Valkyria as well, the vest restraints really add to the experience of the drop at the top. When you are held at the top over the drop you feel as though you fall forward in to the vest and it almost gives the sensation of it being the only thing holding you in. When you combine that with the floorless cars it’s a superb moment, especially sitting in an end row seat at the front.

Going to sound controversial but after seeing the pictures of the ride in its opening year, I'm surprised looking back on it of how bare it looked theming wise. Yes, some might like the 1960's brutalist concrete style but compared to even Nemesis just from a years back, it is something of downgrade. Only made worse that years later that this was the time Tussauds was about to buy Thorpe and the takeover was happening at the time and cut back on much of the theming which depending on who you ask either worsened or helped with the final theming job.

Now of course under Merlin, X-Sector now looks, um...interesting to put it kindly. An X-Sector 2.0 I'd be all up for if done right but then again with Merlin, you can't trust them for most of the time.

Prime X sector there with Energizer and Blackhole.

Still love this machine. I just wish they would sort the offload of the ride. The end seats are back in operation also.

Probably my favourite coaster at the park now Nemesis is closed.