• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Oblivion: General Discussion

I think it’ll be fine in 5 years and not needing a retrack. This past closed season everyone has suddenly gone retrack mad with Nemesis’ currently having its work done, debating whether a certain coaster will need it. Oblivion takes nowhere near as much stress as Nemesis did, although some believe it took a lot more than it actually did.

I am sure that there would be some logistical headaches if they had to retrack Oblivion at some point in the future, but there's not all that much of it ... If they were able to retain the station, brakes and lift as they have done with Nemesis, it's really not all that much track at all.

Screenshot_20230429_110857_Instagram.jpg
Why do Towers always say Oblivion is 60m tall. That's from the bottom of the pit the height from ground level is only 20m isn't it

Screenshot_20230429_110857_Instagram.jpg
Why do Towers always say Oblivion is 60m tall. That's from the bottom of the pit the height from ground level is only 20m isn't it
That is true, but the drop height is 55m, so technically, Alton Towers aren’t entirely incorrect to claim that Oblivion’s drop height is 60m (as 55m to 1 significant figure is 60m).

That is true, but the drop height is 55m, so technically, Alton Towers aren’t entirely incorrect to claim that Oblivion’s drop height is 60m (as 55m to 1 significant figure is 60m).
Are they just basing height on the biggest drop then because Smiler isn't 30m either. That's only 22 from ground level

Are they just basing height on the biggest drop then because Smiler isn't 30m either. That's only 22 from ground level
In a park like Alton Towers, I imagine that does make the height sound a bit more impressive…

I guess, but that means that the measurement is now very inaccurate.

Oblivion is actually a 130m drop (from sea level)

No it’s not. No matter where you are in relation to sea level the drop will always be the same.

The height on the other hand may change if you measure from the top of the drop to sea level but that’s not really a recognised measurement

RCDB lists it as having a 180ft drop, I’ve always found that pretty interesting.

Obviously when we talk about a coaster’s height we measure it from the ground to the tallest point of the structure (well I think that’s how we measure it), but if instead we were to measure the total height from the lowest point to the highest point could an argument be made that Oblivion is in fact the third largest coaster in the UK? 180ft would put in between Stealth in 2nd at 205 ft and Odyssey in 3rd at 167ft.

RCDB lists it as having a 180ft drop, I’ve always found that pretty interesting.

Obviously when we talk about a coaster’s height we measure it from the ground to the tallest point of the structure (well I think that’s how we measure it), but if instead we were to measure the total height from the lowest point to the highest point could an argument be made that Oblivion is in fact the third largest coaster in the UK? 180ft would put in between Stealth in 2nd at 205 ft and Odyssey in 3rd at 167ft.
There's a pretty Big One currently at the top of that list, not to mention there's some sort of Exodus currently ongoing at Thorpe Park, meaning that Oblivion will be the 4th tallest coaster this time next year. Still impressive that AT will still have one of the tallest coasters in the UK considering the height limit.

I fell down a Youtube hole and was watching old park footage, and was reminded how much longer Oblivion used to remain on the holding brake.

It raises the question, does anyone know why it barely holds anymore? Is it something that the park can control or is it down to wear over time? I know it isn’t a brake as such but rather a slowly moving chain the shuttle engages onto.

Oblivion certainly seems to be an anomaly amongst dive coasters in terms of how long it holds; it even seems some of its shuttles hold longer than others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I fell down a Youtube hole and was watching old park footage, and was reminded how much longer Oblivion used to remain on the holding brake.

It raises the question, does anyone know why it barely holds anymore? Is it something that the park can control or is it down to wear over time? I know it isn’t a brake as such but rather a slowly moving chain the shuttle engages onto.

Oblivion certainly seems to be an anomaly amongst dive coasters in terms of how long it holds; it even seems some of its shuttles hold longer than others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I'm assuming it's for throughput. I do miss being held over the drop for longer - there's less suspense now.

The Ropers were they? All I remember that they were treated as the Beeching of the TTF back in the day though arguably Merlin have filled that role in more ways than one.

Given all the Easter Eggs found on Alton Manor, would have been such a delicious and hysterically funny middle thing if they had a made a gravestone for the Ropers in the queueline...that alone would have made the ride better even without getting on the damn ride in the first place! :p