• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Oblivion: General Discussion

Ive always thought the old Oblivion shop would be a prime space for a modern Ministry of Joy themed funhouse / walkthrough / mirror maze. Every area should really have something for little ones / timid guests to enjoy while others ride the coasters. Have it set up so it doesn’t require many staff members and it can be easily converted for Scarefest too. A great use of the space that would be easily achieved
Love this idea. Something along the lines of an Initiation Facility aimed at older children who are too small to ride Oblivion and The Smiler. A smoke and mirrors maze sounds ideal, and a preshow solves the batching and overcrowding problem perfectly. Plus it’s be somewhere new to escape the rain whilst everyone’s waiting for Thirteen to open.

Love this idea. Something along the lines of an Initiation Facility aimed at older children who are too small to ride Oblivion and The Smiler. A smoke and mirrors maze sounds ideal, and a preshow solves the batching and overcrowding problem perfectly. Plus it’s be somewhere new to escape the rain whilst everyone’s waiting for Thirteen to open.
Essentially it would be a more family-friendly, accessible and less staff-heavy version of Black Mirror Labyrinth at Thorpe (which is basically a glorified mirror maze).

There’s a mirror maze at Portaventura that was a welcome diversion that garnered a consistent 5/10 minute queue this weekend. It was well themed and a great diversion from larger attractions. I’ll knock up some concepts when I’m home from my trip, until then if anyone finds a good reference for the building layout do let me know!

There’s a mirror maze at Portaventura that was a welcome diversion that garnered a consistent 5/10 minute queue this weekend. It was well themed and a great diversion from larger attractions. I’ll knock up some concepts when I’m home from my trip, until then if anyone finds a good reference for the building layout do let me know!
I shall look forward to it!

Only issue would be Blivvy's photo kiosk. Wouldn't that have to be moved as it feeds into the arcade?

According to Google Maps, the main body of the building is 40m x 13m.

Had a front row ride on Oblivion yesterday and it cemented by opinion that if you’re after nothing else but fear, intense thrill and anticipation, it has to be Oblivion. It packs the biggest punch on the park and for many it’s where they draw the line and refuse to ride it.

Operations were slick too. It was on 2 stations and 6 trains and the queue was being eaten.

Yesterday’s ride confirmed that it’s my favourite coaster, and it wouldn’t feel right visiting the park and not riding it. Sorry to all the Nemesis fans!

Bump!

So as I was lying in bed last night trying to get to sleep (I’m doing dry January so didn’t have the help of my usual Saturday wine ), I was wondering how on earth Oblivion ever got planning permission what with Alton Tower’s stringent “below tree height” planning restrictions. I was 7 years old when Oblivion opened and I remember going for regular walks in Dimmingsdale with my family - for those that don’t know the area, this is the area of woodland walks to the left of Farley Lane - and you could easily see Oblivion towering above the trees from miles away. In fact, you can still see Oblivion from this area and other areas to this day, which got me thinking how on earth planning permission was ever granted? The views from the top are insane and are my favourite views from any Towers coaster, but this invariably means the ride can be seen from miles around.

It’s also my favourite thrill ride on park. You just don’t get the sense of vulnerability and isolation on any other ride as you do after reaching the summit of Oblivion’s lift hill.

Bump!

So as I was lying in bed last night trying to get to sleep (I’m doing dry January so didn’t have the help of my usual Saturday wine ), I was wondering how on earth Oblivion ever got planning permission what with Alton Tower’s stringent “below tree height” planning restrictions. I was 7 years old when Oblivion opened and I remember going for regular walks in Dimmingsdale with my family - for those that don’t know the area, this is the area of woodland walks to the left of Farley Lane - and you could easily see Oblivion towering above the trees from miles away. In fact, you can still see Oblivion from this area and other areas to this day, which got me thinking how on earth planning permission was ever granted? The views from the top are insane and are my favourite views from any Towers coaster, but this invariably means the ride can be seen from miles around.

It’s also my favourite thrill ride on park. You just don’t get the sense of vulnerability and isolation on any other ride as you do after reaching the summit of Oblivion’s lift hill.

I’ve always thought this as well. the ride is also fairly noisy and being above the tree line the noice is not absorbed at all.

Amazing ride though. Still waiting to breakdown at the top of that lift though so I can admire the views !

Just realised I haven't posted this here, but a pilot friend of mine said he saw that Blivvy's drop track was out when flying over part of towers, and I wondered if this is a normal occurrence, or perhaps a part of a refresh or works. It's inclusion in festival of thrills seems to indicate it will open this season, ruling out removal, so I wonder if anyone could shed some light. I assume it's not a retrack as they haven't applied for planning as far as I am aware.

Just realised I haven't posted this here, but a pilot friend of mine said he saw that Blivvy's drop track was out when flying over part of towers, and I wondered if this is a normal occurrence, or perhaps a part of a refresh or works. It's inclusion in festival of thrills seems to indicate it will open this season, ruling out removal, so I wonder if anyone could shed some light. I assume it's not a retrack as they haven't applied for planning as far as I am aware.
Perhaps they don’t need to apply for Oblivion for whatever reason? I guess if it were just the drop, it would only be a partial retrack.

drop track was out, in what way? Like removed and on the floor next to the ride?

also, pilot friend? How high up was his plane as it can’t have been clear

They could have been at 900ft, in a light aircraft. A lot of private pilots cannot fly above the cloud because they aren’t rated to fly by instruments alone so instead rely on landmarks on the ground like roads/buildings etc to navigate.

drop track was out, in what way? Like removed and on the floor next to the ride?

also, pilot friend? How high up was his plane as it can’t have been clear

1) The vertical section of the drop had been removed from the track and moved elsewhere, the rest of the track was in place

2) He was flying a light aircraft relatively low over the resort, well below cloud cover, and low enough that you would be able to take a clear photo of the rides or buildings in the resort.

1) The vertical section of the drop had been removed from the track and moved elsewhere, the rest of the track was in place

2) He was flying a light aircraft relatively low over the resort, well below cloud cover, and low enough that you would be able to take a clear photo of the rides or buildings in the resort.

makes sense

seems there is an awful lot of maintenance happening - good to see

Your mate has his own aircraft? John Travolta?