• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Oh no, we fell into the Pleasure Beach! Quick trip 08/04/2023

Vicki

TS Member
So, as the title says, this was just a quick trip, that we were able to squeeze in after I competed in the Blackpool Ice Skating Festival earlier that week. Today's visitors were myself and my friend Mimi. I'm a more timid rider, although since my recent trip to Florida, this has improved. Mimi hasn't met a ride she doesn't like. Today we were blessed with a 9pm ride close.

I last visited in 2006, and only got on what was then Roller Coaster. In the back row. With no restraints. With my grandma :D Mimi had never visited before. We headed in at around 4.30, and went to guest services first of all to discuss ride access - I qualify for their pass, and this was issued with no problems. We were hoping it wouldn't be needed too much, but as some of my issues with queuing are eyesight related, and some sensory related, it was good to have it sorted. As it turned out, I didn't use it as much as I probably should have, and was feeling the consequences of my daft need to push myself by park close.

Anyway, let's get riding! First up we headed to the Flying Machines - something nice and easy to start us off. Really fun ride, looks can be deceiving though, by the end I could absolutely tell we'd been spinning!

After that, Mimi wanted to give Ice Blast a go. I'm not one for drop towers or things of that nature so I sat and watched the ride while she queued and rode. I did Tower of Terror over in Florida and that was enough to tell me I didn't enjoy that sort of ride - add it to the list of rides Mimi gets along with though.

Right, coaster time. Grand National - a guy at the tram stop had said it was scarier than the Big One for him, and that you get thrown around a fair bit. Well, my first issue was fitting in it - note for those with larger thighs, extend the seatbelt before sitting down. Once secured though, I found the ride was good fun, not too rough where we were sat, and the airtime was good but not terrifying - just how I like my coasters. Mimi had never been on a wooden coaster apart from Wicker Man and really enjoyed riding an older coaster. I do have bruised thighs from being thrown about, but it was worth it. That double dip on the first drop is a particular highlight for me, and all the little bunny hills just deliver lovely airtime, in my opinion. May need to return and re-ride to confirm haha.

After this, we wandered over to Valhalla, unfortunately it was closed - we were disappointed as we'd heard it was opening the day before. So we sat and had a drink in the new bar that's opened in the area. Really like the theme and vibe of this place, and can definitely see a return visit happening next time we're at the Pleasure Beach. At this point, Mimi drops a quick, "Shall we go on the Big One?" into conversation. I'd been dreading this ride - it's the tallest, fastest thing I've ever ridden and I just couldn't get past its imposing presence on the skyline. But, I'd told her I wanted to, and with lots of reassurance, she got me into the queue, into the station and onto the ride.

A nice middle row, and we were sat between 2 rows of lads who had been indecisive when boarding so had been split up with us in between them. Oh they made the ride - they were nervous, then screaming at the top of their lungs. Language was a little blue but to be honest they were saying what I was feeling as we left the station. We climbed, and climbed, both of us calling out the height markers as we went, and admiring the views of the park. Then as we dropped, I was tilted over (I was sat on the right) and by the bottom of the drop my arms were up and I was loving life! The rest of the ride was fun, but that first drop was the best part. We planned to go back on in the dark, if time allowed.

After that, we headed to Nickelodeon Land, I wanted to get on Nickelodeon Streak, having ridden it in it's previous form. We were towards the back, and I have to say, the new trains and lapbars for me, haven't taken all the fun out of this coaster. It's still a great ride with good airtime, and lots of nostalgia for me.

After this, we headed onto the Avatar Airbender ride. I'd never ridden one of these, and despite my reservations that spinning and swinging would make my stomach unhappy, I was pleasantly surprised. Good fun, and worth going on once at least.

Then we decided to hit up Infusion. I'd been warned about this blue menace, that it would have my head rattling round like a pinball. But, we decided to not heed the warnings of friends, although I did take my earrings out. We ended up front row, just as the sun was going down, and after pulling down the harness, the ride op asked if I wanted it tighter. I said no, being used to back row rides on Nemesis. I'm now wondering if this was a mistake. Between the laughter, were cries of "Ow! Ow! Ow!". The tops of my poor ears :( If that ride was smoother, it'd be a really fun layout. As it is, it's a once a trip ride for me.

Then we decided to head to Icon. I was SO excited for this - I've ridden Velocicoaster and the layout and dual launches gave me a similar vibe. We were about 3 rows from the back, and as soon as we launched and crested the first hill, I knew I was in love. Floater airtime, with the freedom of movement offered by the lapbar, just took me back to being in the States. It's not the same as Velocicoaster, but it's a cracking ride and one I'm really glad we've got in the UK and at a park relatively close to me. Mimi wants to try ENSO next visit, and I said something I never thought I would. Icon has stolen my heart, and my number one spot, from Nemesis.

At this point, the queues were closed so we headed out to get food and head back to the hotel. Pleasure Beach, we'll be back! SO many rides we wanted to do but didn't have time for, so a return visit needs to happen this season.