• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

One Day Trip

Mark0097

TS Member
Fancying a random spontaneous European theme park trip. Haven’t been to many around Europe and want to be there n back in one day.

What’s the easiest theme parks to get too flying from Gatwick?

And another bunny dies on Watership Down from heat exhaustion.
Two planes for a day's jolly?
Do it by ferry and give the planet a chance mate.
Or spend a week on a ferry and train doing a dozen parks with bunnies complete blessing.

Fancying a random spontaneous European theme park trip. Haven’t been to many around Europe and want to be there n back in one day.

What’s the easiest theme parks to get too flying from Gatwick?

I asked something similar recently and if you drive then going to Plopsaland De Panne in Belgium is very doable in a day from the South (about the same as driving to AT if you're lucky with trains).

With all due respect do you really need to make that same remark every single time someone on here mentions going somewhere by plane? Just because other people do something that you don’t do I’m not sure you need to chide them for it.

Anyway, going back to the topic the easiest parks to visit as a day trip are Prater in Vienna, Liseberg in Gothenburg, and Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen, though I’d encourage anyone to take their time and make it an overnight trip so you get to enjoy seeing the city as well as just visiting the amusement park. Legoland Billund could be fine as a day trip though if you really wanted.

Emerald Park near Dublin would be an option as well. Certainly from Stansted there’s a large amount of flights each day with early and late ones.

Last edited:
Do it by ferry and give the planet a chance mate.
Or spend a week on a ferry and train doing a dozen parks with bunnies complete blessing.
makes it more adventurous for me.

Only get one planet but also only get one life x

I don’t drive so ferry’s don’t help!

I don’t drive so ferry’s don’t help!
Noted!

Disneyland Paris is one of the more doable as the fast train to/from the park only takes around 10 minutes to CDG airport and flights return as late as 10pm. Unfortunately flights from Gatwick to CDG don't start till 8am but you'd still get a solid 8 hours in the park. Or if you can get to Heathrow then flights start around 6am so that's an extra 2 hours and a very long day!

Probably the one park I’d say no too! Done it a couple of times
Noted!

Disneyland Paris is one of the more doable as the fast train to/from the park only takes around 10 minutes to CDG airport and flights return as late as 10pm. Unfortunately flights from Gatwick to CDG don't start till 8am but you'd still get a solid 8 hours in the park. Or if you can get to Heathrow then flights start around 6am so that's an extra 2 hours and a very long day!

Probably the one park I’d say no too! Done it a couple of times

Doh! How about Parc Asterix? Basically the same journey if you're happy to get a taxi to and from the park.

Otherwise it gets tricky from Gatwick. You could do say Parque Warner in Madrid but you're probably only getting 5-6 hours park time max and that's with taxis too. I suppose it depends on your budget because if you're fine with 45+ min taxis each way then you have more options.

With all due respect do you really need to make that same remark every single time someone on here mentions going someone by plane? Just because other people do something that you don’t do I’m not sure you need to chide them for it.
I do love it when someone starts a comment with all due respect.
I don't make the same comment every single time someone mentions going by plane.
Check out the topics, and my comments.
Check out my recent thumbs up on a number of trip reports.
We all do what we want to do, and indeed we only get one life, something I am well aware of in my job at the moment sadly.
But...we have only one planet.
And to use two flights on a single day trip is, in my eyes, a little on the selfish side when there are many millions on the planet who have no choice but to fry or flood.
I have the money, I have access to ultra cheap flights, I will do what I like with my spare time and money.
I, personally, am alright Jack.
Very very shortsighted after we have had more record breaking temperatures and rainfall this month, last month, and last year.
I play out in it all day long, and notice these things, many people appear, through their actions, completely blind to the matter, still.

I was also asked my opinion, this is where we have had occasional issues.
I gave my opinion.
That is precisely what discussion forums are for.

However.
The problem remains the same, and I will continue to raise the matter when an opinion is requested.
Sorry, but not sorry, sometimes plain speaking needs to be said, when opinions are asked, answer, honestly.
As said before, nothing personal, but no apology.

In terms of proximity to the airport and quality of rides, Liseberg is your best bet.

Phantasialand and Parque Warner pretty straightforward too.

There are passenger on foot spaces on most ferries, and disney in france can be done on a train still can't it, just with a change.
There is always a better solution.

There are passenger on foot spaces on most ferries, and disney in france can be done on a train still can't it, just with a change.
There is always a better solution.

Disney can't realistically be done in a day anymore unfortunately due to the train change. Not sure where @Mark0097 lives but they specified Gatwick so presumably a day trip that involves St Pancreas isn't viable.

They also said they don't drive so anything involving a ferry for a day trip also isn't an option.

In terms of proximity to the airport and quality of rides, Liseberg is your best bet.

Phantasialand and Parque Warner pretty straightforward too.

You can't fly direct from Gatwick to Koln, Düsseldorf or Gothenburg so i don't think they would be doable in a day.

Environmental concerns aside and disregarding the novelty of the 24-hour window, a day trip abroad is pretty exhausting and the vast majority of parks listed above are in the vicinity of fantastic cities or other attractions. It's always worth getting your head down nearby. But then, I am older now, with a dodgy leg to boot.

Budget is moderate and looking at going tomorrow!

Juggle between Bournemouth + Brighton but will be in Brighton so just looking at Gatwick!

Parc Asterix is a shout! Haven't been in a while! In regards to putting my head down, am use to travelling and a day is all I have free!

Juggle between Bournemouth + Brighton but will be in Brighton so just looking at Gatwick!

Parc Asterix is a shout! Haven't been in a while! In regards to putting my head down, am use to travelling and a day is all I have free!

I think one slightly limiting thing here is Gatwick Airport, as there are lots of Ryanair flights from Stansted that go to places near European parks.

But just looking at EasyJet routes from Gatwick there is Krakow for Energylandia would be the standout option for a European theme park trip. May I ask though is there any particular reason that means you couldn’t plan out an overnight trip of a couple of days at some point rather than specifically looking for a day trip?

Last edited:
I think one slightly limiting thing here is Gatwick Airport, as there are lots of Ryanair flights from Stansted that go to places near European parks.

But just looking at EasyJet routes from Gatwick they Krakow for Energylandia would be the standout option for a European theme park trip. May I ask though is there any particular reason that means you couldn’t plan out an overnight trip of a couple of days at some point rather than specifically looking for a day trip?
Impatience and Job :)

I don’t think many parks will be open tomorrow other than Disneyland, Asterix certainly isn’t.

The original poster asked a question on where to visit, not to turn things into an argument back and forth about the what's and why's of which method of transport is most environmentally friendly.

Yes, this is a discussion forum, but at the same time we have off topic forums to allow debate on subjects like this without clogging up individual's topics with discussion they had no intention of starting in the first place.

If we could remain on topic, and reply constructively and sensibly to the OP's original question it'd be appreciated :)

I'm thinking of doing the same thing a couple times this year just to get some ticked off the list and make up for lost time. But being a bit more North West seems to be killing me with flight times, even with being willing to do an all nighter and return the next morning. Anyone from more round my ends managed it?

I'm thinking of doing the same thing a couple times this year just to get some ticked off the list and make up for lost time. But being a bit more North West seems to be killing me with flight times, even with being willing to do an all nighter and return the next morning. Anyone from more round my ends managed it?

You should actually be able to find some good inexpensive flights from both Liverpool John Lennon and Manchester Airport. I’ve used Manchester before to fly to Brussels for £20 and then headed out to Plopsaland. Obviously that’s not one for a day trip but very easily done over a couple of days. I’ve also flown from Liverpool to Vienna for a similar price and Prater is right there in the city centre (but looking at Ryanair it seems that they fly there from Manchester now this year, not Liverpool). There are also flights from Manchester to Barcelona Reus, right by Portaventura. Ryanair fly that route on Fri,Sat, & Mon so you could make a (long) weekend out of it if you were able.

Should also be a plethora of cheap flights from both airports to Dublin for an easy trip to Emerald Park, and also there is Manchester to Gothenburg for Liseberg and Manchester to Cologne for Phantasialand.

As for early flight times something that I’ve done on many occasions when I’ve had a flight at something like 6am is just turn up at the airport the night before and just find a seat or a corner overnight to sit in and wait until check in opens in the morning, never had a problem doing that.

Last edited: