• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Oscar Pistorius shoots girlfriend.

Roses are red,
Violets are glorious,
Don't try to surprise
Oscar Pistorious.

Oscar pistorious, hope it doesn't catch on upon TST meets like breivik did

While I'm not known as being one to shy away from dark humour about troubling events, this topic is just people copying and pasting crap one-liners from elsewhere on the internet.

So I'm not going to chip in with a joke. I'm going to say that, while we don't know the full story yet, this is a very disturbing story with implications for South Africa's extremely violent society. He seemed like one of the great inspirational human beings of recent years. Sad, and worrying.

It concerns me just how differently this has been treated by the media and in people's reactions to any other shooting...

Regardless of how many legs he has or what sporting achievements he's made, he shot someone, dead. That makes him just as bad as anyone else who's done that, regardless of what he can do in a stadium.

James, I think your post is a bit presumptive at a point where we know very little of what happened. He hasn't yet had a trial, and this could be a lot more complex than it first seems. For all we know, the initial story about this being a tragic accident could be correct.

Agreed Margarthea, but Olympians can do no wrong in the eyes of the media, all because the fickle public took a shine to the glorified sports day (of which most people paying for it couldn't even go to see, but that's for another discussion ;)).

I am so sick to death of some insignificant runner or whatever popping up on TV and being treated like they are people who have done something amazing to help humanity, when really they did a bit of sport. Whoopty-bloody-doo.

But anyway, you're absolutely right that it's awful how the media has treated this differently, but as I've been saying here, that problem extends to a wider cultural pedestalling.

Sam - I've seen news reports treat it very sympathetically, a bit like the BBC's sycophantic treatment of the royal family and Pope. I agree that we should remain neutral until more evidence and information comes to light, but the media seems determined not to do this.

Genuinely disgusted at this.
BDGgaAWCUAA39Mj.jpg

Image courtesy of Everyday Sexism

I just don't know what to think. I hope that it's the Sc*m stirring up malicious gossip again, but my gut tells me I'm wrong. Also, it's shocking that they've chosen an image of her with her cleavage out to go on the front cover. She's just died, for crying out loud. Have some sodding respect!

Such a tragic story. And I can only reiterate what Alastair said, inappropriate juxtaposition even though it is eye-catching.

Using Tapatalk...

I think we're forgetting here that she's a woman, and therefore:
a) Her body only exists for male sexual gratification (post-humously too)
b) She matters only in relation to her male partner, and not as her own person.

To be honest, I was never comfortable with his strong campaign to compete in the regular Olympic games. His blades could, or could not have, given him an unfair advantage over regular athletes. I remember seeing a couple of interviews from the couple of years preceding the latest games and I've got to say that he came across as a bit of a div to me. Seems to have some type of complex. I'd be surprised if he hasn't done this after some of the things that I've read, as well as him just coming over as a bit of a k**b. Shame, she looked a nice girl.

BarryZola said:
To be honest, I was never comfortable with his strong campaign to compete in the regular Olympic games. His blades could, or could not have, given him an unfair advantage over regular athletes. I remember seeing a couple of interviews from the couple of years preceding the latest games and I've got to say that he came across as a bit of a div to me. Seems to have some type of complex. I'd be surprised if he hasn't done this after some of the things that I've read, as well as him just coming over as a bit of a k**b. Shame, she looked a nice girl.

Feeling bitter about having no lower legs and shooting someone are very different things though. Something a lot more serious drives a rational man to murder.

But out of, for example, 100 people who have amputations, there is likely to be a percentage that become irrational over time. Wouldn't you agree? It's unusual for a double amputee to want to beat fully able-bodied people at the Olympic games, which makes me think that he's not someone who has fully accepted his disability or life in general, which I thought came across in some of his interviews which I've said previously.

That front cover of The Sun is quite disgusting. They should be ashamed of themselves, but of course they won't be.

This really is a tragic story and very sad. I was shocked when I heard about it earlier on.

:)

I know I'm going off on a tangent here, but following on from what Rob's said, all the Sc*m seem care about is getting big headlines without caring about the implications at all. It's a pathetic excuse for 'journalism', although I sense that journalism ethics should be dealt with in another topic. I'd be interested to know what angle the other papers take on this tragic story.

The only problem I have with the front page is the graphic detail of the phone calls. The woman was a model (Shown in picture) The man was/is and athlete (also shown in the picture) It's not like the have a headline "Cwoooor shame this ones gone" or something.

:) :)