• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Park Closing Time

Rob

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Steel Vengeance
Ride close yesterday was 5.30pm. The park was very busy yesterday, and The Smiler's queue at the end of the day was about 2 and a half hours. We joined The Smiler queue at about 5.20pm, so were off the ride at about 8pm. We then bought a few things from The Smiler shop before heading to Towers Street where we had some photos to collect that we had bought earlier on in the day. Cue problems!

Upon reaching Towers Street, all of the music was off. Towers Trading was completely locked up, as was the Box Office. I wasn't overly surprised that these were closed, as it was 2 and a half hours after ride close. However Guest Services was also closed and locked. And there were no members of staff at all on the whole of Towers Street apart from one chap who had his bag with him ready to go home.

Now obviously this meant that we couldn't collect our photos, however this isn't really the main issue; we spoke to a manager at the hotels and she said she'd ensure they got posted to us. The main issue is the complete lack of staff around whilst guests were still in the park. When we left there must have still been about 100 or so people left in the park.

Say there had been an emergency on Towers Street at the end of the day. What if someone had a sudden health problem, or however unlikely it is what if there was a fire? There was no-one present at all to provide an immediate response. What if a guest wanted to visit Guest Services with an issue or something? They would not have been able to. What if a guest just wanted to speak to a member of staff for directions or a little help? Not possible.

Now I know I've complained about over the top H&S in the past, but I do feel that this is a huge H&S issue. No only that but it looks awful leaving the park with no staff to be seen. Can you imagine leaving a Disney park with all the shops and facilities on Main Street closed, and all music turned off? I can't.

Now I know it is rare for people to still be on park so long after ride close, however they would have known the length of The Smiler queue so would have known people would be around. There should have been proactive management to ensure some staff stayed behind until all guests had left the park. The manager in the hotels tried phoning through to the park and confirmed that everyone had gone home and there was no-one to contact.

I'm not bothered about not being about to collect our photos. I'm bothered by what comes across as extremely poor customer service, a lack of care for guests and the H&S issue is poses.

:)

I was completely surprised yesterday when we reached towers street, was a very weird feeling.

Was always under the impression that Guest Services is supposed to remain open until the last guests have left the park? I guess I could be wrong on that, but do recall that being mentioned in the not so distant past.

As mentioned, management would of been aware of the length of The Smiler queue, and thus, should of ensured that, at the very leasr, Guest Services remained open until the last of the guests had got off the ride and made their way to Towers Street.

Yeah, Guest Services really should have been open until everyone was off park. I couldn't believe the doors were locked with all the lights turned off etc. The long queue for The Smiler really isn't an excuse not to have any staff around Towers Street at all.

:)

At the very least the whole of TowersStreet should remain open until guests leave the park. A handful of staff at the turnstiles, guest services open, Towers Trading open is all they need at the least. Plus the music playing!

New rides of this scale only come every few years, so it wouldn't hurt for them to have staff staying on for a few extra hours. All they have to do is just have a handful there.

No one in towers street, not even a member of security. That's bad, but they must have someone watching the CCTV system for safety reasons then?

anyway, So much for the buy now collect later. My mum is going to give my daughter some money to buy souvenirs when we go at the end of the month.

Now I got two options

1) Let her buy stuff and not join the smiler queue just before closing

2) Don't buy stuff and go on the smiler.

oh dear Alton you are going to be at least £50 down on your till that day. as my mum spoils her so much.

(wonder if AT reads loosing money and staffs only towers trading??)

Indeed a simple solution is to staff Guest Services and move any of the buy and collect stuff remaining to GS to be handed out.

There is a band of management (not the top level and not the ground level but who decide important stuff) at Alton Towers who really seem to not think about the wider picture during these sort of things.

This is a rather concerning bit of information.

If it is purely down to the smiler still operating then quite why the park is having guests walk all the way to Towers Street (presumably to get the monorail that isnt operating at that time?) seems a little excessive.

Perhaps close off X-Sector and have a shuttle bus going to the car parks from the X-Sector gate, a member of guest services could be present to help guests and also organise the bus etc.

--

If they cant do that, they cant have the final impression of the park as an empty street with no staff or atmosphere - talk about a day killer!

Guest Services must be present, otherwise they are failing in their main priority - guests.

Also its rather unfair for guests to leave without anywhere to be able to grab a quick drink or a snack before leaving on a potentially long drive home. Not to mention the guests who have sent stuff for collection at Towers Street.
If you didnt know to pop to the hotels to get your items collected what would you do? I cant imagine Alton would make any effort to trace an owner. Again a really negative note to end the day on.

This is quite honestly very poor service.

Ben said:
Perhaps close off X-Sector and have a shuttle bus going to the car parks from the X-Sector gate, a member of guest services could be present to help guests and also organise the bus etc.

Has this ever happened before (a bus driving into the park)? Where would it enter and exit?

delta79 said:
No one in towers street, not even a member of security. That's bad, but they must have someone watching the CCTV system for safety reasons then?

anyway, So much for the buy now collect later. My mum is going to give my daughter some money to buy souvenirs when we go at the end of the month.

Now I got two options

1) Let her buy stuff and not join the smiler queue just before closing

2) Don't buy stuff and go on the smiler.

oh dear Alton you are going to be at least £50 down on your till that day. as my mum spoils her so much.

(wonder if AT reads loosing money and staffs only towers trading??)

Or you could just buy the stuff at the exit of the smiler? ;)

don't Pricey, she can shop for England if she is allowed. and as she is mentally young then her physical age, she has no concept of how money really works.

Anyway back on topic. There is a staff access road that runs right next to the fence on the west side of x sector, with a very handy vehicle access gate in it, right behind submission. big enough to reverse a bus though, park it and close the gates after to maintain security of the area.

I know you've already stated that getting the photos wasn't a priority but I'll comment on them anyway. Why don't Alton Towers experiment with an extra section to their website for allowing guests to purchase their photos online up to a few weeks after they've visited?

Universal have something called 'Photo Connect' which simply lets you collect the codes at the attractions for your photos once you get off, then later you can enter the code on your card (once you set an account up) and then you're given the choice of buying your photo in a wide variety of sizes, as well as get it printed on to gifts like those in the park.

img01.jpg

PhotoConnectPrepayBANNER.jpg

That way it doesn't matter if you get to the store on Towers Street late or if there was a photo that you couldn't decide whether or not you wanted it earlier in the day as you can just sort it out when you get home.

I know Universal attracts many more guests than Alton, so perhaps this wouldn't be so useful, but I don't really know. Thought I'd post about it anyway. :p

I found it kinda creepy to be walking around a closed theme park. Obviously I walked straight to the exit, and then walked to the car park, but what was to stop me from walking around the park for ages?

I would have preferred them to have kept at least a hot dog and hot drink stall open near the entrance, it wouldn't be that hard, and would have brought in some extra jelly beans.

I had this yesterday as my girlfriend and I got off The Smiler at about half 7. We kind of felt like the final customers in a restaurant where all the staff have pretty much got their jackets on and are waiting for you to leave.

What annoyed me, I wanted to buy some anytime bounceback tickets and asked in guest services, the bloke replied by saying 'Oh you can buy them at the ticket shop at the top, boss'. My initial question was, why is he calling me 'boss'. I'm a customer, don't use pally terms with me.

Then we got to the top near the monorail area, everywhere closed and 1 member of staff in sight. Asked him and he said the ticket office was closed because basically the staff don't hang around due to The Smiler being open late. So couldn't get bounce back, however he said if I turn up with those original tickets I'd still be able to get it.

I didn't appreciate the lack of staff around, the professionalism of those that were and the feeling of 'hurry up and go home' message from the park.

Oh, and then of course the monorail was closed so had a lovely walk back to the car.

Poor from Alton Towers at the end of the day, staff just didn't seem to care.

Alastair said:
Ben said:

Has this ever happened before (a bus driving into the park)? Where would it enter and exit?

It happens during winter when its too cold to run the monorail, a bus services operates between the hotels and main entrance
. X-Sector has a large gate and the staff road behind oblivion.

On the topic of staff professionalism, I really think that the staff working in guest services should wear smarter uniforms, not fleeces and combat trousers.

It would just make them appear smarter and like they are more competent in their job, as oppose to like they have just finished a shift on one of the rides.

guest services are lacking in many areas - and yes uniform is one of them.

What should be the standard:
- guest services available until all guests have left the park
- a professional uniform
- a large open, welcoming base - not a cramped cupboard
- an array of 'apologies' when needed, not just 'fast track'
- a really good, current knowledge of the park and daily operations
- a customer focus and drive

--
Sadly my experience of Guest Services have never met any of that.

Ben said:
Alastair said:
Ben said:

It happens during winter when its too cold to run the monorail, a bus services operates between the hotels and main entrance
. X-Sector has a large gate and the staff road behind oblivion.

Yeah I meant into the actual park though. It'd be so cool to drive through Towers in a bus.

Just having a look around AT on google street view.

There are vehicle access gates
near the goal striker.
Next to the Medical centre (look like it would not take a bus sized vehicle)
Next to mutiny bay shop (will take large vehicle and exits on to staff carpark near coach park)
Next to duel (goes into storage yard behind Duel)
Next to Nemesis entrance (road runs passed monorail garage)
Near FV smoking area
Next to CCL Theatre (look like it would not take a bus sized vehicle)

There may be one or two more, but this was a quick look on street view