• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Park Hours: Updates and Discussion

On the face of it the 5pm close seemed crazy this weekend gone. However, having being there yesterday it was probably one of the quietest Sundays I've had on park for quite some time. I don't know whether it was the poor weather forecast (it ended up glorious most of the day, I've got the sunburn to prove it!), or whether the last day of the Premier League of the weekend before payday, but we pretty much walked on most things. The Mardi Gras food outlets were still doing a roaring trade though, so I'm assuming they still made a decent amount yesterday. Even the hotels were pretty dead yesterday morning, so I don't think they had too many staying over.

Is 5pm right when they have event on? Ideally, no. However it is a prime example of how the pre-booking push is helping them to make the correct decisions, and not get caught out with too short or too long opening hours like they perhaps might of in the past.

I agree with above comments, these early closes would affect Oktoberfest the most - as the atmosphere up to about 8:30pm last year when I visited (on a Friday) was electric. Nice weather and shed loads of guests were buying food and drink after the 7pm ride clos - us included!

I agree with above comments, these early closes would affect Oktoberfest the most - as the atmosphere up to about 8:30pm last year when I visited (on a Friday) was electric. Nice weather and shed loads of guests were buying food and drink after the 7pm ride clos - us included!
I think that's where Oktoberfest differs to Mardi Gras. Yes, we've got Food Street for Mardi Gras with some entertainment going on in that area, but Oktoberfest is a different beast. There's a large central hub with a headline stage, plenty of seating with the food and drink right there next to it, so a far bigger incentive for guests to stick around. I would expect (hope!) that the crowds during last year's event, coupled with people returning after enjoying last year will play a big part in them ending up extending the hours from the current 5pm ones posted on the site once the pre-bookings start to roll in as we get nearer the time.

What time is the Mardi Gras parade?

I would assume it sets off at ride close time? Feels like the parade & Towers Street party should be after the queue close time and still be going on Towers St for at least half hour. So ride close at 5pm and the parade sets off, arrives at Towers St around 5.15 and some performers stick around on Towers St til 5.30-5.45.
Feels like a simple way to extend the day and push people towards Towers Trading.
Is that the case right now?

What time is the Mardi Gras parade?

I would assume it sets off at ride close time? Feels like the parade & Towers Street party should be after the queue close time and still be going on Towers St for at least half hour. So ride close at 5pm and the parade sets off, arrives at Towers St around 5.15 and some performers stick around on Towers St til 5.30-5.45.
Feels like a simple way to extend the day and push people towards Towers Trading.
Is that the case right now?
There's not really a parade as such, it's more the "krewes" make their way across to Towers Street from their respective areas in time for ride close. There's obviously a bit of spectacle involved in that as they head over, but not what I'd consider a parade. We left around 5:30 ish after doing The Smiler yesterday, and the performers were still around saying goodbye to guests and dancing etc. Definitely leaves a much more memorable impression on guests as they head out!

We left around 5:30 ish after doing The Smiler yesterday, and the performers were still around saying goodbye to guests and dancing etc. Definitely leaves a much more memorable impression on guests as they head out!
Yep I think with both Mardi Gras and Oktoberfest they can easily extend the park day by 30-90 minutes after the queues close which as you say leaves a much nicer impression as guests leave the park.

So some extensions have been made to hours, tomorrow has been pushed to 5pm and from Saturday onwards for half term it has gone to 6pm.

Good to see the extensions continue, hopefully they get good attendance for half term.
Good news. I was looking at tomorrows closing time of 4pm and was thinking surely not!

Hopefully the extra hour will mean guests can enjoy the entertainment more and perhaps have a more leisurely lunch.

Yes it'll mean I don't have to rush about as much tomorrow! The extra hour can make a difference. It seemed decently busy today with queues between 30-50 minutes (at times), so I'm expecting no less tomorrow really. Still 2 hours down on last year but it seems much more serviceable than 4pm.

We're heading to Towers tomorrow for the first time in a couple of years. Do they still only tend to open a few rides at 10am?

We are unsure what ride to try and hit first. Get WM out the way early or Smiler the best option?

We're heading to Towers tomorrow for the first time in a couple of years. Do they still only tend to open a few rides at 10am?

We are unsure what ride to try and hit first. Get WM out the way early or Smiler the best option?
Staggered openings are mostly (if not entirely) gone now, from what I can gather.

Personally, I’d head to Dark Forest first. The rides there are often quiet (usually walk-on or with not much queue) first thing, and Rita in particular can command a fairly long wait later on due to its lower capacity, as can Thirteen dependant on operations (although not to the same extent, particularly now that the baggage hold has returned).

Luckily these days everything opens on time except Battle Galleons (11am), Congo River Rapids (11am) and Skyride (12pm)
As for what to do first, starting at the back and working forwards is usually a good idea

Head to Dark Forest at 10am. That's always the best starting point. All rides open at 10 apart from Duel, the Rapids and the Skyride, if I remember correctly.

Great. Thanks for the replies. When at a Thorpe we usually head straight to the 'back' and do Saw first as it's pretty much walk on. Might do Rita/13 first then. Just want to avoid the big waits (I guess Smiler and WM have the biggest still?).

Great. Thanks for the replies. When at a Thorpe we usually head straight to the 'back' and do Saw first as it's pretty much walk on. Might do Rita/13 first then. Just want to avoid the big waits (I guess Smiler and WM have the biggest still?).
Smiler and WM are usually quietest at lunchtime or right at the end of the day. Also, if you want to ride Gangsta Granny, that's one to do just before park close as it can get a big queue during the day.

Head to Dark Forest at 10am. That's always the best starting point. All rides open at 10 apart from Duel, the Rapids and the Skyride, if I remember correctly.
Duel opens at 10. It’s Battle Galleons and Congo River Rapids opening at 11 but that’s all. Skyride is either 11 or 12, reckon it was running at 11 on Friday though.

Ah thanks for clarifying. It used to open at 11.
Yes I remember that brief spell where X Sector was 10, dark forest was half 10, duel, rapids, rmt was 11 and forbidden valley was 12. I seem to remember it not lasting long, but it was ridiculous

Yes I remember that brief spell where X Sector was 10, dark forest was half 10, duel, rapids, rmt was 11 and forbidden valley was 12. I seem to remember it not lasting long, but it was ridiculous
Nah Duel opened at 11 with the Rapids long before the staggered openings were introduced.