• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Park Map

CoasterCrazyChris said:
Scott said:
Alton Towers has already been known as Alton Towers Resort in branding, signage and advertising for years now?

Doesn't change the fact it sounds lame. :L

Why does it sound lame? It is a resort by definition; so why not use it in advertising, promotion and branding?

Generally when something fulfills it's intended purpose it makes sense to name it accordingly.

I think he was talking about Thorpe. Just because it provides you with a bed, doesn't make it a resort.

I do hope they sort that map out. It's not even a map, it's just a mess. Lots of rides squashed up, and if you don't know your way round the park, your a bit stuck. I do hope they change it, one that looks exciting and advertises the rides well, but also helpes you navigate your way round the park.

Do we even need park maps anymore - well, the paper type anyway. Everyone has a smartphone thesedays, when they book their tickets, or turn up to get tickets, give them a link to the either the AT app or send them a file to download which is an interactive park map. Coupled with GPS (most phones have this now) it could pinpoint them in the park, and maybe direct them to their next ride.

Queue times could be linked to this and presented on the screen for the rides near the person. AT could also use it to maximise their sales (bit like O2 priority) and bring up a message on their screen for any special offers in outlets near them. E.g. the donut shop near Blade - could get an offer appear on the screen, show this app and get one free donut or something.

As for in the park - how about interactive touch screen information panels, bit like you get in shopping malls thesedays which will even give you directions to where you want to go.

GaryH said:
As for in the park - how about interactive touch screen information panels, bit like you get in shopping malls thesedays which will even give you directions to where you want to go.

That's actually a great idea, they would be really helpful! However I'd imgine they'd cost a fair bit and I can't see Merlin giving Towers the money to implement something like this. Unless of course they could find a way to make a fortune from advertising on said screens.

:)

I'm surprised they've not yet implemented iBeacon technology - though it is relatively new.

You'd be able to direct people from specific points in the park to the ride with the smallest queue near them, or give them a prompt to download a game when they enter the Smiler queue line, an offer for 20% off something from cafe XYZ when they're nearby etc.

Rob said:
GaryH said:

That's actually a great idea, they would be really helpful! However I'd imgine they'd cost a fair bit and I can't see Merlin giving Towers the money to implement something like this. Unless of course they could find a way to make a fortune from advertising on said screens.

They seem to have the money to install fancy new car park token machines every other year ;)

maybe a interactive map on the phones and if your using the parks WiFi you will get location based offers ore what they do on trains down under you receive a message on your phone when your near a station there all simple things to install

Rob said:
GaryH said:

If they combined them with queue time boards... Win win!

The park is all for having new technology, its just a shame that said new tech doesn't always work. They spent a small fortune on those TV screens, but now hardly any of them work and serve almost no purpose. They also spent a fortune on Yourday, which was a massive flop. I don't think that Merlin as a problem with installing stuff (so long as it makes money :p), I think the problem is that the park always seem to have problems making it work (normally due to buying new stuff that hasn't been tested or buying it as cheap as possible).

Interactive touch screens around the park would be a great idea and could be used for show times, ride queue times, advertising and of course a map.

See if you were going for touch screen info points around the park why not integrate card readers and go down the route of selling Fastrack and All Day Dining vouchers, etc from them? Easy way to financially justify their existence, and would also ease the load on Sales and Info and the Box Office.

As far as Apps go I really like DLPs where you can browse a map of the park and touch an attraction to get its queuetime and closing times.

I'm sure this was discussed before but I think they should just charge for paper maps. Maybe they could offset 'public outcry' by offering some sort of coupon for a hot drink (at the end of the day so the map either went back to staff in it's entirety (not dumped on the ground) or tucked away with bags/shopping. The maps at the moment do create a bit of a litter problem, because they are both free and useless as actual maps.

The majority on this forum I would imagine don't need a map to get around and take them for memorabilia purposes - so I don't think it would be particularly unfair on 'us lot'!

However I don't have a smartphone and if I didn't know the park I would like to have a paper map rather than relying on sign posts. I am sure other tourist attractions charge for maps so it's odd that a business like Merlin isn't doing so as well.

What would be really nice is a souvenir ride/park guide with pictures and information on the ride areas and the ride history. I know I would have loved that when I was younger (which indicates that the idea is really outdated, especially when we have this website!)

A touchscreen panel would be clunky to use, dirty from everyone's fingerprints, and (most importantly) it's never going to be in the place where someone's going to need a map most (that is, when they're between areas and trying to find their way to a ride).

A smartphone app with the map already exists. Are people using it over paper maps? Are they 'eck. Again, it's just not as easy to use as getting a bit of paper out of your bag. (The benefits of an app for queue times and Fastrack reservations is a different question). Not to mention that apps aren't cheap if you're building them properly, and especially when you have multiple versions to maintain across multiple platforms. Think of all the support that staff would have to do when people have issues installing the app and getting it to work properly on their device.

Paper has its place! For convenience, cost effectiveness and maintainability, a paper map far outweighs technology's alternatives.

I think the main argument against the digitalisation of the maps is that us geeks would have fewer things to collect :)

The technology already exists...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl8_uJqOLFk#ws

It allows live updates for business (in this version its resturaunt wait times, but could easily be rides), it has an on screen map and when you pick a location it directs you where to go. It also displays current activities (i.e. shows for Alton).

Ive been suggesting it for ages - but suspect its rather expensive.
But as others have suggested you could add on fast track sales, food offers, bounce back tickets, and it could even be used for the feedback - Alton LOVE a touch screen feedback.

GaryH said:
Is there a smartphone app with a map on it? The app I have doesnt have a map....
The old one did but it was poorly implemented. Presumably nobody used it so they removed it from the app.

Despite the free wifi and advertising the apps available - people just won't do it. It's easier and less faff to pick up a map at the entrance rather than connecting to a wifi network, downloading an app, then opening it and finding the map etc etc etc