• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Park Map

The app is poorly implemented as a whole. It looks as though it was designed by a first year Uni student rather than a professional company.

Don't want to charge for maps either, that'd be awful. Anyone remember Chessie and Thorpe charging for maps in 2007 for 50p each?

thefatone said:
Don't want to charge for maps either, that'd be awful. Anyone remember Chessie and Thorpe charging for maps in 2007 for 50p each?

I could see why Chessie wouldn't want to discourage people from looking at paper maps when they have animals, isn't it Animal Kingdom that have paper straws and discourage use of paper maps?

The only good reason I can think of to charge for a map, is to stop geeks grabbing fistfuls of them every time they visit. I mean, come on guys, we know the park well enough to never need a map again, never mind 30 of them.

That's fair enough, but why do you need a fistfull? One to use, and one to keep would surely be enough?

I'm not actually too sure why I've taken so many in the past! I've started to cut down recently as they become a pain to store. It just became a bit of a habit.

:)

There is hope for you yet ;)

I always assumed people were keeping them with the intention of holding on to them for a couple of decades to sell on eBay. But if that is the case, remember that old maps may be rare, but modern ones won't be... Because people like you keep hording them, killing any future value! :p

I like keeping a map from a visit to AT. I dont get two, as i find looking at the map you used for that trip can bring back memories of it.

I only ever get two maps if one rips or gets damaged in some way, which often happens over the course of a day.

I don't see the point in grabbing fistfuls as it just wastes them and it doesn't benefit anyone in any way really.

I only grab more than one because I can never fold those bloody things back up!!

I used to have a 'Wall of Theme Park Maps', however I was told to take it down when we re-painted my room. The maps are from all different UK attractions, and are currently sitting gathering dust on top of my wardrobe. They're all really tatty and some of them ripped from when I took them down though. :/

I'm thinking that anyone on here that actually takes more than one other than to save at home is mad, surely we all know the park like the back of our hands anyway lol.

No one wants Merlin to start charging for maps as that's absolutely disgraceful after adding the price of entry and parking charges.

One another note do Merlin pass holders and season ticket holders get one sent to them?

I thought people taking a stack of maps were doing the GP a favour? It prevents them from gaining a headache after attempting to navigate the park using it which in turn, also cuts down on the GP buying painkillers, thus reducing the money going towards Merlin. Everyone is a winner.

The Sun free ticket promotion is due to start on Saturday 15th March. If it's all in line with previous years that would mean we will see the version of the map given to The Sun (it's not normally the final version) on Wednesday March 19th (my birthday!). Seeing as that is only a few days beofre opening I wouldn't be too surprised if Towers don't release at least a snippet of it beforehand.

Hopefully Towers will post a little sneak peek on their Facebook/Twitter pages. Or if we're very lucky they may upload it online before the Sun pull out comes out (unlikely although I think it has happened once or twice in the past).

I think I'm right in saying that The Sun promotion is later this year than in the past? I'm sure it's not normally in the week leading up to opening. That's what makes me think we might see it beforehand.

This image could be a hint of what the map may be line this year, or certainly the marketing style this year. Or of course it could just be an image created just for the Sun and the promotion:

1982285_621080654629049_1101535167_n.jpg

Also to note in the promotional image, the Merlin logo in the bottom corner! First time Merlin have really promoted them selves.