• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Parking Restrictions

BigT

TS Member
One thing I did notice on my visit last week was that bollards have been put up on Wootton Lane alongside Towers entrance road to stop you parking here.
Damn shame as this was my secret free parking spot and a much better option as it's right next to the entrance.
Anyone else got any others?

While I disagree with the parking charges implemented at Alton I wouldnt park anywhere else in the local area, its only a small village and cramming it full of extra cars would be, in my opinion, rather selfish.

I have thought for a while though if the farmer who owned the field opposite the entrance turned it into a car park (make it £3 per car) they would make a fortune. It would be cheaper than Alton and also closer to the parks entry.

I think small village is pushing it a bit Ben as it's only 4 houses along there and there was 3 or 4 good size lay-bys that have now been blocked off that weren't really bothering anyone.
I suspect it was Towers that did this so as to gain a few extra pounds as If I lived there I would be more fed up now as they restrict access to properties as well.

It's also worth noting I only live 10 minutes away so have to put up with the extra traffic that Towers brings to the area in the summer and I don't complain about that so what's comes around and all that. ;D

I don't think Alton have jurisdiction over the roads in the area, I would imagine complaints by the locals would have been behind it.
Id check the planning site but staffs moorlands council have killed their planning database online.

Anyway, like I say, I wouldnt do it - but I realise some people might. Individual choice I suppose.

The laybys themselves are for the road considering majority of it is one lane only...

It's understandable the road has been bollared, probably the councils doing more than anything though as obviously they own the land.

I think the council are right to have done this. I've driven through that lane a few times and it's much more difficult when the passing spaces are full of parked cars. It means reversing a long way if you meet something coming the other way!