• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Paultons Park: General Discussion

Alton Towers didn't just have a large ready made hole to plonk Nemesis into either.

That landscaping is also the main differentiator that people cite as to why it's superior to Inferno. I'm not saying Paultons need to do it, but it would undoubtedly improve whatever they build if they did.
But the landscape was sloping and a curved hill feature to begin with...a long way from a flat landscape.
There is no way they would have quarried that very expensive hole if they didn't have to, to avoid going above the treeline.

But the landscape was sloping and a curved hill feature to begin with...a long way from a flat landscape.
There is no way they would have quarried that very expensive hole if they didn't have to, to avoid going above the treeline.
Of course, Nemesis is an extreme example.

It's probably easier to compare Colossus and Sik when it comes to how landscaping can improve a ride experience. Thorpe Park didn't have to do what they did, intertwining the path through the ride and having the track go through multiple tunnels but they did. It improves the ride, makes it more interesting to ride and view as a spectator.

Most decent parks put the time and effort into landscaping their new rides and themed areas. Paultons are doing just that with Ghostly Manor as we speak. I would be very surprised if the new Vikings area doesn't see any decent landscaping, since a theme like this pretty much cries out for a Scandinavian look. What would set this land apart from Drayton's is if it's inspired by the Scandinavian Fjords, complete with water features, trees, rockwork, Viking long boats etc.

I’ve never been to Paultons, the theming and upkeep of the park does look great but their very ‘family and young children’ based marketing and distance has put me off previously. I’d like to get the creds but have ridden similar coaster models in Europe.

If this new development/land is indeed a coaster, i’d love to see a decent family thrill wooden coaster such as a GCI like Heidi at Plopsa but with Wodan-esque theming - rocks, tunnels, near misses, fog etc.

I’d of course love to see an RMC but they do throw you about quite a bit.. might be a bit too much of a leap for young riders. It would instantly attract many enthusiasts and teenagers but the park may see getting one as a gamble. It’s a large investment and an attraction that may not entirely appeal to their core audience (families) and would shift their visitor demographic. If marketed correctly the UK public would flock to it I’m sure! ‘First looping wooden coster in the UK’ has a nice ring to it.. especially when uttered by a petrified live TV presenter heading up the lift hill.

You get RMCs that are super compact - Wicked Cyclone (SF New England) and Storm Chaser (Kentucky Kingdom) are only just over 30m at their high point which is the same as The Smiler, and that can’t be seen above the tree line.

If they did get something more thrill focused I’d definitely visit!

I think some people are forgetting the park is within the boundary of the New Forest. The chances of them getting permission to build a wooden coaster are very slim. Not just due to height but noise implications as well.

Id say something from Vekoma or and Intamin Hotracer are far more realistic

I think some people are forgetting the park is within the boundary of the New Forest. The chances of them getting permission to build a wooden coaster are very slim. Not just due to height but noise implications as well.

I'm not sure what the obsession with enthusiasts is for Hot Racers in major theme parks, surely they're an absolute throughput nightmare and only suited to much smaller parks?

They also mean people have to ride alone which seems very unsuitable for a family park.

They don't need permission for the majority of the site.

None of their recent ride additions (TS, Peppa etc) have required planning permission, and nothing has gone in for this new development beyond a change of use for a small area, I think it was.

I'm not sure what the obsession with enthusiasts is for Hot Racers in major theme parks, surely they're an absolute throughput nightmare and only suited to much smaller parks?

They also mean people have to ride alone which seems very unsuitable for a family park.
Id like to see at least one in the UK. Mahuka seems like a great ride over in France, I think a park like Paultons is exactly the type of park that would get one.

Id happily take a modern Vekoma, but the seem to be out of favour in the UK at the moment

With a wooden coaster, I'd say it is unlikely unless it is one of those Gravity Group family ones or something like Twister at Grona Lund.

Anything larger wouldn't be ideal with it being in the New Forest and may raise some objections with authorities and locals.

That is a really good point, with a Hot Racer being a single rider per car.

I'd say it might not be ideal for younger ones and those who want to ride with someone for some reason meaning that it could reduce the amount of people riding it to braver single riders (older children, teenagers and adults) or those who are happy to ride one behind another.

I'd say a 82ft/25m launch coaster would be more ideal as those are lower to the ground and not as noisy as let's say a wooden coaster with a chain lift.

I saw earlier that a Vekoma Space Warp and Shockwave was mentioned which would be fantastic.

If Vekoma did a Shockwave Lite model with most of it's layout and inversions but at the height of a Space Warp, it'd be perfect as a signature coaster for Paultons and put the park on the map which is what the park needs at the moment.

With regards to some of those proposed attractions, Paulton’s don’t need to copy the ride selection from Drayton Manor. I don’t want to see them get a Zamperla Nebulaz and an Air Race, I want to see them find interesting attractions to differentiate themselves from what is arguably their main rival park in the family sector, not just grabbing one of the same.
I do agree with this whilst at the same time, both a Nebulaz and a Air Race do fit the target market quite well as an intermediate thrill ride and a first inverting flat ride which is both what the park need in it's future progression.

I think it'd be likely that an inverting or thrilling flat ride would potentially be part of the development somehow to support the new coaster.

The rides I mentioned were the profile of rides that the park don't currently have (with some exceptions for replacements). Dodgems appeal fantastically to a variety of ages, a Mini Jet style ride would be fantastic for younger ones and interactive rides such as the Mack Twist N Splash would also appeal well to the target market.

With the family theme parks such as Chessington, Paultons and Drayton Manor which all cover a similar market, the parks do appear to bring in common ride models with their own twists to it between the three parks.

Over the last decade with Chessington, I'd say that it definitely was heavily inspired by Magma for Croc Drop. It's exactly the same ride model and concept with the only difference being the theme and that Chessington have a higher height requirement by 10cm.

I wouldn't be surprised that at some point, Chessington brings in a standard size Gyro Swing model after the success of Cyclonator.

You'd think a woody would be a perfect fit for a wooded area.
Perhaps a smaller and heavily landscaped woodie with sound barriers, yes. I wouldn't expect anything dissimilar to Wicker Man or Heidi. I think it's more likely we'll be seeing something like a Hot Racer first, unless they were to pull another Lost Kingdom and build two coasters.

At the event we both attended, they confirmed that they were working with Lagotronics on a ride prototype which would be revealed at IAPAA in Amsterdam, later this year.
Ah I see, tbh I didn't hear much as I was right at the back lol

Looks like the Gameplay Theatre model is a collaboration between Mack and Lagotronics (Tacumeon Rides is Mack company)
1726080032961.png
(From: https://www.lagotronicsprojects.com/en/products/gameplay-theater)

Ah yes that makes sense!