• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Paultons Park: General Discussion

I would make a calculated guess that this will be not far over the 10 million mark, maybe 12 or 13. But not 20 million, no way.

As well as being a fine example of not having shareholders to answer to, Paultons is also a fine example of what happens when your delusional marketing team (or aforementioned shareholders) don't feel the need to one up themselves everytime there is a new addition to the park, be it, loops, style, worlds first or cost.

I would guess £10 million. Most parks include marketing costs in their media quotes on budget and Paultons doesn’t currently advertise nationally so even if they do include those costs they will be significantly lower.

The landscaping costs alone must be a fortune. This new area is a lot bigger than people realise.

I reckon this project could be approaching £15m which is crazy for a family run park. Great for them though and I hope it goes well.

They get some of the best weather the UK has to offer and have plenty of land so everything is there for them.

Just a word of advice for anyone curious about this as it does sound interesting and well thought out if the marketing graphics are anything to go by. Do what you like obviously, not going to point a gun at anyone's head, but I personally would encourage all people to stop watching vlogs or pictures about construction. Experience it for yourself when it opens, if you can. Try not to get sucked in to watching some bloke flying over the construction site on a Cessna or Shawn's vlogs that spoil the surprise!

Just a word of advice for anyone curious about this as it does sound interesting and well thought out if the marketing graphics are anything to go by. Do what you like obviously, not going to point a gun at anyone's head, but I personally would encourage all people to stop watching vlogs or pictures about construction. Experience it for yourself when it opens, if you can. Try not to get sucked in to watching some bloke flying over the construction site on a Cessna or Shawn's vlogs that spoil the surprise!
What's wrong with following construction updates? We're geeks, it's what we do. When people avoid "spoilers" it is most of the time avoiding watching POVs of roller coasters or seeing pictures from inside dark rides etc. Seeing a large building site with a lot of potential in a family owned theme park, which wouldn't have been given a second glance 10 years, is fantastic.

:)

I would experience it for myself, but the thought of wasting £100+ on these prevents me from bothering...

Ah, but that's why I said 'if you can' :) If it's absolutely impossible for you, fair enough
@Burbs Oh I agree that it's a great thing that it's happening, and the fact that it is a decent minded family owned theme park even more so. But I don't believe "spoiler issues" are limited to filming or ruining the theatricality/lighting effects of dark rides, it's a much bigger thing. Seeing any place/tourist attraction/whatever before you visit it on a camera or seeing every single concrete footing and scaffold of a construction site being laid down from start to finish does take away that experiential surprise that you get when you've literally never seen something before. As I said, do whatever the hell you want, I won't lose respect of anyone, but it's just something that I won't do. I don't expect many people to follow my advice, but at least people can be aware that they may get more out of waiting to see the place when it is complete rather than seeing the whole thing on a screen and knowing nearly every aspect of it.

What's wrong with following construction updates? We're geeks, it's what we do. When people avoid "spoilers" it is most of the time avoiding watching POVs of roller coasters or seeing pictures from inside dark rides etc. Seeing a large building site with a lot of potential in a family owned theme park, which wouldn't have been given a second glance 10 years, is fantastic.

:)
Completely agree Burbs, spot on. :)

Ah, but that's why I said 'if you can' :) If it's absolutely impossible for you, fair enough
@Burbs Oh I agree that it's a great thing that it's happening, and the fact that it is a decent minded family owned theme park even more so. But I don't believe "spoiler issues" are limited to filming or ruining the theatricality/lighting effects of dark rides, it's a much bigger thing. Seeing any place/tourist attraction/whatever before you visit it on a camera or seeing every single concrete footing and scaffold of a construction site being laid down from start to finish does take away that experiential surprise that you get when you've literally never seen something before. As I said, do whatever the hell you want, I won't lose respect of anyone, but it's just something that I won't do. I don't expect many people to follow my advice, but at least people can be aware that they may get more out of waiting to see the place when it is complete rather than seeing the whole thing on a screen and knowing nearly every aspect of it.

So taking your statement literally. We should just close TST down.

I don't expect many people to follow my advice
I think many people do but by that nature you won't find them making comments on construction updates. I think there's nothing wrong with seeing construction progress to a point, up until the finished attraction starts to take form. The same goes for any topic on this forum though really.

Watching construction take shape can be very cool and you learn a thing or two about how these things are created. I think in measure it's a good thing.

But there's no fun to be had gorging zoomed-in pixelated pictures of the Wicker Man head sat in the Studios North car park, for example! In the end it's far more fun to see the finished thing for the first time in person.

I think most geeks realise that spoilers make a big difference. Then there's the entire public who will have a clean first impression, far outnumbering the geeks anyway!

Yes! That's exactly what I mean! Clearly :D @MattyH

No, I think you're interpreting what I'm saying in the way which you want to see it rather than understanding the fact that I'm simply pointing out a way in which people might enjoy and appreciate something more. I'm not saying 'shut down every image of every ride and anyone who has a different opinion to me should be banned' which is why I specifically said that it's up to you whatever you do. Of course, we should discuss and speculate on future ride projects, and the parks will hopefully give us 'enthusiast geared' teasers which we can use to do that, which if you look at the Tornado Springs twitter account, they are indeed doing. But seeing everything in plain sight on a screen vs going to a place and never having seen it before surely has a huge difference, right?

It's why I have the complete and utter respect for Phantasialand for trying their absolute best to keeping the whole FLY thing a secret. It's not because they are trying to ruin anyone's day, least of all the enthusiasts who love the place, it's because they know that people will get the best experience out of visiting there and then and seeing the ride and the area when it is complete.
Nonetheless, if you really want to watch it, go ahead, I won't think any less of you. I just think that you might find you'd appreciate it more if you didn't see pictures of every construction phase! I'm sure no matter what they are doing, it will be very cool and something in the UK theme park industry to actually get excited about for once

Last edited:
To flip this argument on its head and specifically for Paultons I actually think it's good for Enthusiasts to follow the construction.

Enthusiasts have a tendency to hype up projects into something they are not, something I feel is a real danger of happening here. By bouncing around numbers up to £20 million it sets an expectation that this will be some ground-breaking, unique attraction. In reality I expect this project to be a very well executed area in an ambitious local park hoping to improve their offering. Think similar to Toverlands ride of the same type several years ago. This will be a good investment but nothing to get too hyped over. By watching the construction I think this will very quickly become apparent and set the right expectation.

Of course if this was a new dark ride or something you know you are going to be visiting in the near future then I recommend avoiding spoilers.

I agree that it may be true in some cases, sometimes people can be naturally idealistic and real life construction images can bring a sense of awareness, but that's why as takeyourmedicine points out, you only want to see very limited pictures and not all of the construction phases, just enough to remind you that it's happening in the real world and not in the land of make believe where money doesn't exist or whatever. but not enough to spoil it in any significant sense. That's fair enough tbh

I don't think it's a be all and end all point either. I wouldn't say Wickerman was hyped up by enthusiasts on this forum back in 2017 when we knew less about it. As time went on, more photos came about, and opinions did shift. By the time the press release stuff had come out, we had began to realize it was actually a pretty cool ride. But if you'd have factored out the photos, and the fact that it was about as far from being 'secret' as possible (partly down to the fact that having a walkway in that area was an unavoidable option for Alton Towers I guess), I think people including myself would of appreciated it far more. Perhaps that negative attitude among everyone would of persisted right until we actually saw it with our own eyes. Now surely that would of made for an awesome experience right?
Apply same logic to this Paulton's park project, and maybe it will make for a cooler first impression when you get there if you have no idea what it will look like until you visit

I'm glad you used Wicker Man as an example because I haven't had chance to ride it. I have however followed the construction and watched POVs. I have no regret doing so, if I hadn't I wouldn't be able to talk about it now.

But the one part of the ride I havent seen is the pre-show. I've left that single aspect of the experience a mystery so there will be something to surprise me when I finally get to ride it. It's also the only part of the experience I feel can be spoilt by not seeing it as it's intended to be seen.

This for me is the best of both worlds. I know the ride looks good and is worth my time from off-ride shots (something I can't get from marketing as they CGI everything). However the show elements and physical experience are still unknowns to me, so I don't lose anything on my first visit.

Anyway this has gone far off topic for Paultons, didn't someone already make a thread to discus this? I forget what it was called.

Back on topic, looks like there may be more info coming 1st May at 12pm:

D4bIS5kW0AITgq7.jpg:large