Phantasialand - 2020: Rookburgh Launched Flyer and General Discussion

Discussion in 'European Parks and Attractions' started by Sam, 30th Sep 2014.

1. AstroDan

AstroDan TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
    As Ian says - it's the quality of those indoor rides.

Maus au Chocolat is inoffensive even if it's a bit dull/repetitive. Ultimately, you are shooting at screens for several minutes. Geister Rickshaw is passable as an old ride, but sorely lacking the charm of many other older dark rides in Europe for some reason. Hollywood Tour the same.

Mystery Castle and Temple of the Night Hawk aren't "dark rides" in the above sense.

Phantasialand need a nice tracked dark ride or new boat ride. When the quality of their coasters/theming is so high, the dark rides stand out more as being poor by comparison.

2. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    Out of interest, how does Feng Ju Palace compare to other madhouse rides, such as Hex? That could be one worth thinking about.

3. Ian

Ian TS Site Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Monster, Walygator
    Along with Le Palais du Genie at Walibi Belgium it’s one of the weakest I’ve come across.

Beautifully presented, but lacking any real substance or captivating storytelling. It is what it is; a fairly budget, quick fix filler attraction to replace a show venue lost in the fire.

We are spoilt in the UK having Hex at our disposal. The only one that comes close to it for me is Le Défi de César at Asterix.

Matt N and jon81uk like this.
  4. jon81uk

jon81uk TowersStreet Member

There is also the hotel fun house which although not a “dark ride” is a good indoor attraction.

Plastic Person likes this.
  5. SirDossa

SirDossa TowersStreet Member

Off to Phantasialand next Monday for a few days and cannot wait! It's the re-scheduled trip that was originally planned for my birthday back in April and it's been touch and go as to whether we would be able to go but it all seems to be on still at the moment. So happy that Rookburgh has opened and can't wait to finally get on Taron, Chiapas, Mamba etc etc. Looking forward to experiencing Hotel Matamba too :)

Rojo and Ian like this.
  6. D4n

D4n TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    Does anyone have a good understanding of current travel restrictions from the UK to Germany and how those may impact upon a visit to Phantasialand?

I've got flights booked from Stansted to Cologne for in 2 weeks time.

Based on my current understanding anybody who has been in the north of England (I haven't) within the previous two weeks is required to present a negative covid test result in order to travel?

I can imagine this restrictions being imposed on the whole of England by the time I fly. So how easy is it to get a private covid test? Does anyone have experience of this? Or can you take the test on arrival (we're only there for two days so would need fast results)?

I also read that restrictions are different in various parts of Germany? But couldn't find details for whichever state Phantasialand is in.

7. SirDossa

SirDossa TowersStreet Member

Oh, I think I spoke too soon :( I've just received an e-mail from Eurowings saying that our return flight to Heathrow has been put back a whole 24 hours which isn't ideal at all. We are considering getting a hotel for the third night but we may have to sack it all off for a second time. Given the news today, cases appear to have risen quite dramatically in Germany so I wouldn't be surprised if the flights get completely cancelled.

8. RicketyCricket

RicketyCricket TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    So F.L.Y. Very, very impressive as an overall package. Went in completely blind having avoided all reviews and spoilers, it did not disappoint.

Vekoma have completely nailed it with this ride system and I'm sure we will be seeing a lot more of these pop up in the next few years. As expected, the ride is smooth as glass - there are moments the ride whizzes over your head and you don't even notice, it's completely silent.

Got 3 rides in and found each of them suprisingly intense. It's very forceful in places and your body weight is pressed down into the restraints which can be uncomfortable. They're very hard compared to those found on the B&M versions.

Didn't get a front row but the back row was excellent, the ride goes on forever. Great addition to a world class theme park.

As for the themeing, it's obviously world class and on par with Klugheim. I must say though after venturing into the seemingly forgotten area of Deep In Africa; Black Mamba is the best themed rollercoaster in the world. The rockwork, waterfalls, all the detail in the queue as you approach the station - this wouldn't look out of place in Animal Kingdom. In fact I'd Disney built a B&M Invert I'm not sure they could top this.

Ted, AstroDan, Rojo and 3 others like this.
  9. AstroDan

AstroDan TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
    I agree that Black Mamba is the best themed/landscaped coaster at Phantasialand. It is overlooked.

I must be honest though and say I still think Big Thunder Mountain is Europe's best themed coaster...!

Tim, jon81uk, Sam and 1 other person like this.
  10. Dave

Dave TS Founding Member

I think Black Mamba is a beautiful coaster with outstanding theming, I just find the coaster itself a bit underwhelming.

Last edited: 25th Oct 2020
    Tim, jon81uk, Sam and 1 other person like this.
  11. Ted

Ted TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    I paid my first visit to Phantasia last week and I loved it! First thing I did was rode FLY and I was extremely impressed with how well the coaster rode. It does pack a punch, but is very smooth and I much prefer it to the two B&Ms (Galactica and Manta) that I've ridden. You do have to queue to get into Rookburgh, but I imagine that's covid related more than anything else, but I'm not sure if that's to get into Rookburgh full stop or just FLY specifically.

Klugheim is my favourite area though! Taron is absolutely amazing and now my favourite coaster I've ridden. I do it it impressive how they fitted Raik in there too! Deep in Africa was nicely themed as well and I stayed in Matamba so entering/exiting it to/from there felt awesome as it was like I weren't stepping to/from the park.

I wasn't too keen on the area around Crazy Bats though and I think that'll be next for the chop. Without the VR too it felt so awful compared to the other coasters in the park. Otherwise though I love the place and it's somewhere I need to visit one Summer as I can truly appreciate some aspects like Chiapas and River Quest properly :p

12. CSLKenny

CSLKenny TowersStreet Member

Like Europa Park, Phantasialand is also preparing for their winter season in the hopes that the current partial November lockdown is not extended into December.
    Some teases of how Rookburgh is decorated for Wintertraum.

Also crazy to note: this is currently the first time since 2011 (between the opening of Maus au Chocolat that June and the removal of the old flumes that November) that the park finds itself without a construction site.
    After the colossal undertaking that was Rookburgh though and the impact of corona now I would not be surprised if we do have some wait ahead of us until the next project comes along.

13. Pleasure Beach Valhalla

Pleasure Beach Valhalla TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Phantasialand's decorations are always really beautiful and neat and just really create a good atmosphere around Christmas time from what i've seen! I'm looking forward to hearing the Chiapas winter soundtrack again!

14. CSLKenny

CSLKenny TowersStreet Member

Blooloop have a feature on Rookburgh using interviews with Phantasialand and Vekoma.
    Source

15. Ian

Ian TS Site Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Monster, Walygator
    Anyone wanna tell Phantasialand the installed the track upside down?..