• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Phantasialand: General Discussion

I think what is most exceptional though is how quickly Phantasialand has changed. I don't know if its just because of the small size of the park but its easily had the most noticible improvement of any park in Europe (Maybe Energylandia but thats a whole different conversation 😅) .

Its been afew years since I last went PL or EP, at that time Europa was a brilliant park and has since had many strong additions but PL was an at best average park with 2 good rides, the fact they have got to the point where people are arguing which is best is an amazing achievement!

2 visits between 2008 and 2014 showed a vast transformation (and half the park under construction for Klugheim).

Both PL and EP have positives and negatives. Would kill for either to be in the UK.

I went 2015 and 2022, Klugheim and Rookburgh added in the time between. It's nuts. The choice now bends on how much you like thrill rides most of the time, with EP lacking thrill flats compared to Phantasia having Talocan and Mystery Castle but Phantasia having less areas to sit and relax.

Both still have some utter shit though. Geister Ricksha and BENCH being the obvious ones.

Phantasialand is small, so you quickly end up re-riding. Also, whilst it's easy to say 'they have added Klugheim and Rookburgh in that time', they haven't done much else in terms of general park stuff. I guess they can't as they do not have the space.

Phantasialand is exceptional in terms of themed experience, but you are re-riding before the end of your first day because they just don't have the volume of attractions. Also - don't shoot me but I think Taron is overrated, as beautiful as it is.

Also, I would argue that EP have massively stepped up the theming in the last 10-15 years - and Phantasialand simply doesn't offer immersive indoor attractions like Piraten in Batavia, Voletarium, Madame Freudenreich Curiosités, Arthur etc. Efteling also offer high quality dark rides. I would love Phantasialand to add a really good dark ride. I don't know how they haven't. With Efteling as a close competitor, I would have thought they would aim for one. Maybe soon?

For fear of the old Shambhala thing, where people start to think you dislike a place when any criticism is wagered - Phantasialand is my #2 park in Europe. Just for clarity! I also think Rutmor's is the best eatery of any park in Europe, and Chiapas the best water ride.

<3

Whilst it's easy to say 'they have added Klugheim and Rookburgh in that time', they haven't done much else in terms of general park stuff. I guess they can't as they do not have the space.

Phantasialand is exceptional in terms of themed experience, but you are re-riding before the end of your first day because they just don't have the volume of attractions. Also - don't shoot me but I think Taron is overrated, as beautiful as it is.

Also, I would argue that EP have massively stepped up the theming in the last 10-15 years - and Phantasialand simply doesn't offer immersive indoor attractions like Piraten in Batavia, Voletarium, Madame Freudenreich Curiosités, Arthur etc. Efteling also offer high quality dark rides. I would love Phantasialand to add a really good dark ride. I don't know how they haven't. With Efteling as a close competitor, I would have thought they would aim for one. Maybe soon?

For fear of the old Shambhala thing, where people start to think you dislike a place when any criticism is wagered - Phantasialand is my #2 park in Europe. Just for clarity! I also think Rutmor's is the best eatery of any park in Europe, and Chiapas the best water ride.

<3
I probably agree regards Taron, still think it’s a fantastic coaster and up there with some of the best I have been on, but i would rate Velicoaster above it, especially the back row at night. I think I might actually rate Fly as my favourite coaster in the park.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's such a luxury to be comparing 2 parks at such a high calibre. EP is easily the second best park I've been to. Between them they make a mockery of just about everything else in Europe

I would love Phantasialand to add a really good dark ride. I don't know how they haven't.
(A lack of) institutional knowledge. The same reason why – going the other way – they build the most immersive rollercoasters in the world outside Disney and Universal (arguably on a par with), which EP just couldn't match regardless of how much money they threw at it.

At a corporate level they simply know how to do the latter to a world-class standard, but not have no idea how to do the former as they've not done it since (?) Hollywood Tour. Feng Shui and Maus are just not major projects.

I'm not a fan of interactive rides, but I prefer Maus to Midway Mania. There's more charm, I love the smells and there's more theming between the screens. It's not my favourite dark ride by any means, but I'd say it's very good for its type.

And I'd say the coasters are definitely on par with Disney and Universal. For example on Taron you're completely immersed in the world of Klugheim, whereas on Velocicoaster you go into the edges of the Wizarding World and from the top hat and the lake you can see the rest of the park. Or compare Black Mamba to The Hulk, where the first half is amazing, but then it kind of goes off into a backstage area.

Yeah sorry, I wasn't clear. The coasters are on a par with Disney/Universal (usually better – as you say, there's nothing as unthemed as Hulk at Phantasia). The dark rides aren't.

It’s a shame we couldn’t have had a dark ride added to one of the newer areas (even if it was added later).

But maybe we’ll see one soon if they do finally get rid of Geister.

Phantasialand has got to be one of the best parks for completely immersing you into a themed area. EP very rarely goes for full immersion, they don't try and hide that you are at Europa Park. This is going to be very clear when Voltron opens, as even if it's an amazingly well themed ride it can't be immerseive in the same way that Taron and F.L.Y have a whole themed world to themselves.
But I don't see either approach as better to the other. I see a lot of Enthusiasts that havn't been to Phantasialand (or visit both parks as part of a mega-Europe rode trip) declare it as the best park in the world because:
1) the type of rides they build cater perfectly to Enthusiasts
2) as mentioned the environments they create are stunning.
But I can go to Europa for a whole week and feel a different kind of immersion. Immersion in a place where there's always more to see and do.
As others have said I'm so glad that both parks exist.

Following them adding Klugheim and Rookburgh sound tracks to spotify the park have now added the singles for Hotel Tartuff, Talocan, and China Garden.

The last few pages of discussion have been very exciting... I have my first visit booked for early September. I have a feeling EP will remain my favourite park, as I generally prefer calmer rides to coasters, and I like hanging out at a full-on "resort" for a few days to forget about the real world, but from the talk here and the pictures I've seen I can tell Phantasialand will be something incredible. FLY and especially Taron look just absolutely mind-blowing from the pictures and video I've seen, I can't wait to see them in real life.

Also I can confirm once more that you can pay for everything online now. After booking Charles Lindbergh I received a confirmation email immediately, followed by an email with more information and a link to a payment form about 24 hours later.

I am now currently at Hotel Bell Rock and while phantasialand is still amazing I would say overall I prefer Europa Park just love the full resort feeling, feels more like I am on holiday rather than just stopping at a theme park. Still can’t wait to revisit phantasialand in the future though!

Much how I rate Disneyland in California as my favourite Disney park, however I rate Disney world overall (and Orlando in general) due to the whole package and not just the park.

The hotel resorts at both are very high quality and great value when compared to similar level resorts at Disney/universal (which are above my budget)

Last edited:
The last few pages of discussion have been very exciting... I have my first visit booked for early September. I have a feeling EP will remain my favourite park, as I generally prefer calmer rides to coasters, and I like hanging out at a full-on "resort" for a few days to forget about the real world, but from the talk here and the pictures I've seen I can tell Phantasialand will be something incredible. FLY and especially Taron look just absolutely mind-blowing from the pictures and video I've seen, I can't wait to see them in real life.

Also I can confirm once more that you can pay for everything online now. After booking Charles Lindbergh I received a confirmation email immediately, followed by an email with more information and a link to a payment form about 24 hours later.

Make sure to head to the viewing area at the top of Lindbergh in the middle. It's stunning.

I am now currently at Hotel Bell Rock and while phantasialand is still amazing I would say overall I prefer Europa Park just love the full resort feeling, feels more like I am on holiday rather than just stopping at a theme park. Still can’t wait to revisit phantasialand in the future though!

The hotel resorts at both are very high quality and great value when compared to similar level resorts at Disney/universal (which are above my budget)

Completely agree about EP's full resort feeling, especially as it relates to the prices of Disney. On my last trip to EP we booked a park view room at the Castillo Alcazar and as I stood at the window looking at Atlantica Super Splash and the rest of Europa Park one of my main thoughts was about how I'd have to take out a not-so-small loan to get a similar view on Disney property.

Make sure to head to the viewing area at the top of Lindbergh in the middle. It's stunning.

Noted! I can't wait. The whole hotel looks completely ridiculous in the best way. Not sure I'll ever get a chance to sleep a few meters from an active rollercoaster again.

We stayed in the pod right next to the giant bench when we went. Don’t think could have had a better position

We were in one directly next to top of one of the launches, on the middle section so the back of the pod faced another section of ride.