• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Photopass - opinions?

Towseriv

TS Member
Cant decide on this one if the new usb wristband is value for money or not?

I must admit all my ride photos before this year are ni various draws of the house after brief outings once they had been bought (a given really) However with the new usb option I can have all from today onwards on my laptop for me to see any time I like. AT are certainly on a winner since they charge £10 for the band and one photo and after that every £5 you spend on a new photo is pure profit

It all depends whether you want to have the photos. From what you've said, they sound like a good deal, but only if the photos are good, and you would want to buy them anyway (Don't buy them for the sake of it)

They're a good idea, but I prefer having the physical photo...

The photopass itself is great - 5 photos for £20. I don't buy into the 50% off crap as one photo should never cost £8 in the first place, but for buying 5 - I see no problem paying £20, particularly when I only make 1 or 2 trips to Alton a year, and will buy a photopass on one of those occasions...

Combining the photopass with the USB Wristband is great if you wish to keep them on your PC and print the ones out you want. I'm fairly sure though that putting a photo on the wristband is a separate pricing system to the photopass. That, or you have to buy a photopass and use each token to download a photo to the USB wristband.

It would be better if the quality of the pictures was better, some of them are awful - mobile phone cameras can take better pictures than some of the ones at towers. Its about time picsolve looked into upgrading their equipment.

On my first visit to Alton with a few people I know, we decided to buy a ride photopass after getting off Congo River Rapids as we wanted to buy loads of on ride photos. We bought Congo River Rapids, Rita, Corkscrew, Flume and I think the 5th one was Nemesis. If you're visiting Alton and it will be your only visit for a while, then I'd say get it! I think it's good value for money as it's only £4 for a photo, rather than paying £8 for 1 :)

Photo pass to ATP/MAP holders £16
USB band £8
Additional images £4

Passes.... The way forward!

Ok the quality isn't perfect but has anyone tried to take 10-12 photos in what amounts to about 2 seconds and get perfect results?! Not to mention the subject is moving at a fair old speed!

The likes of duel, ice age, sealife, Katanga canyon.. all slow moving or stationary a poor photo here is inexcusable... But nemesis, oblivion etc it's kind of hard! Most mobile phones or indeed instant point n click cameras wouldn't even focus in time for one shot, let alone multiple.

I believe that pic solve take a hefty cut per print or download to cover the costs of installation and maintenance of there camera systems so the high price of individual images is kinda understandable.

(back on topic before I get told off..... (-: )
I think the photo pass is a bargain even at full price and at there is plenty of rides/attractions you can use them on at towers also I brought one last year, used 3 of the vouchers and used the remainder of them this year so you can wait till you get an image your happy with!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I would recommend getting a photopass rather than this USB thingymibob that I havn't heard about before. That way you get the physical photo in it's nice unique cardboard frame and then (and I know I'm getting really advanced here :D ) you could use a revolutionary piece of equipment which goes by the name of a 'scanner' to copy the picture onto your PC. This way you get the best of both worlds. Don't thank me all at once for this groundbreaking line of thinking :D

BarryZola said:
I would recommend getting a photopass rather than this USB thingymibob that I havn't heard about before. That way you get the physical photo in it's nice unique cardboard frame and then (and I know I'm getting really advanced here :D ) you could use a revolutionary piece of equipment which goes by the name of a 'scanner' to copy the picture onto your PC. This way you get the best of both worlds. Don't thank me all at once for this groundbreaking line of thinking :D

I keep telling myself I will scan them but I never do, The frame aspect I had not thought about to be honest so some really good point I suppose.

FYI for some reason you dont get discount on the wristband but you do on the photopass, I can understadn picsolve taking a hefty cut too.

oldgitben said:
It would be better if the quality of the pictures was better, some of them are awful - mobile phone cameras can take better pictures than some of the ones at towers. Its about time picsolve looked into upgrading their equipment.

The only thing i will say is the photo's by picsolv are FAR better than those in Europe (including EP). The difference in quality is actually quite distinct. Obviously a camera phone couldn't take that photo at the speeds the rides are running (another difference between the UK and Europe is nearly all coasters in the UK have their photo at the fastest or most intense part... European coasters have them just before the break run)

Towseriv said:
FYI for some reason you dont get discount on the wristband but you do on the photopass, I can understadn picsolve taking a hefty cut too.

Odd! I asked about that and they said I could!... But then some staff don't know what there talking about... I've managed to get discount at the carts at round the park (choc fountain, cookies) some days but not others.

Dave, you've obviously never owned a Sony Ericsson. ;)

Many of the cameras need upgrading. The worst offender I can think of is Oblivion. Half the time it looks like it was took on a mid-range Motorola, c.2005.