Planet Coaster: What you've been up to?

Discussion in 'Park and Coaster Sim Creations' started by Tim, 17th Jun 2020.

1. Tim

Tim TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Air / Blue Fire
    I thought it was about time we had a thread to share what we are working on in Planet Coaster. It's great to complete a ride, area or park but when you've using a game that gives you an insane amount of freedom completing anything can take a long time!

So for those of you that are actively playing here's the chance to show off whatever you want to talk about no matter how small.

To start us off, I kept telling myself not to go mad with the in game piece counter... then I got distracted and spent an hour building a custom catwalk for a rapids :p

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 25th Jun 2020
    Rojo, Ian, Danny and 2 others like this.
    Posted 17th Jun 2020
  2. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    Posted 17th Jun 2020
  3. Thameslink Rail

Thameslink Rail TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    I have also been playing Planet Coaster but I haven't built anything anywhere as good as what you people can build. What have I missed?

Posted 17th Jun 2020
  4. Matt N

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    Don’t compare yourself to anyone else on Planet Coaster! It’s a skill that takes time to develop, and I’m sure it will come to you with time; I know it certainly took me a lot of time and effort to learn Planet Coaster!

Posted 17th Jun 2020
  5. rob666

rob666 TowersStreet Member

I keep hearing rumours of the reel...

Posted 17th Jun 2020
  6. Tim

Tim TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Air / Blue Fire
    Not much. It's been pretty quite latley. That's why I've started this thread. I think there are only 2 active parks at the moment, but I'm hoping a few of you like me are working on stuff but no where near starting a thread for it.

@Matt N if you do want to try some ideas here before committing to a new park feel free to share.

Burbs and Matt N like this.
    Posted 17th Jun 2020
  7. Thameslink Rail

Thameslink Rail TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    I meant as in why are my builds not as good as everyone else's. Matt N answered my question

Tim likes this.
    Posted 17th Jun 2020
  8. Tim

Tim TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Air / Blue Fire
    Thought I'd share a few pictures of the first building I made in the game. It's only a shell at the moment with a lot of detail missing. It's intended to be a shipyard and nautical museum.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm quite happy with how it turned out but it took a long time to get right, mainly because it had to look good from both the inside and out. The building hides the station, queue and dark ride section of a water coaster:

[​IMG]

Originally I wasn't going to have an indoor section but because Planet Coaster has an issue with blocking this type of ride I needed somwhere to stack multiple trains. So I took influence from Pirates of the Carribean and looped the queue past the track.

I've put this ride on hold as I started on a more interesting project, but I'd like to go back to it at some point.

Posted 21st Jun 2020
  9. Tim

Tim TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Air / Blue Fire
    Anouther one from me:

I tried turning track limitations off and building a Water Coaster with a loop...

[​IMG]

I broke the fear meter :p

Andrew and Matt N like this.
    Posted 25th Jun 2020
  10. Matt N

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    Attempting to emulate the Mack PowerLoop I see!

I must admit, I do think launches would be a good addition to the game’s water coaster, as well as larger boats, as things like the PowerSplash and the SuperSplash do exist.

11. Tim

Tim TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Air / Blue Fire
    I completely forgot about the PowerLoop! I knew it wasn't a crazy idea.
    I'd love to see them do what No limits 2 did and add trick and transfer track to all rides and a few more options to allow rides to make multiple passes. But I suspect we'll be waiting for a Planet Coaster 2 for that. When you compare PlanCo to Planet Zoo everything feels a lot more complete. The late additions to PlanCo also feel like that but some of the early rides (especially the water rides) lack a lot of the features later ones do.

Matt N likes this.
  12. Matt N

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    I suppose we could see new types of ride added in future DLCs, as I still personally feel that there are a few common ride types that the game still lacks. Things like powered coasters and traditional steel wild mouse coasters, for example, as well as things like family launch coasters and family shuttle coasters. So mostly family coasters, really.

As you say, I’d also love to see multi-pass/swing launches put onto more rides, as the technology is now becoming quite common in parks around the world. It is actually available on the impulse coaster (Viper One), but that’s the only one at the moment. Part of me would also love to see the ability to build trick tracks (for example, elevator lift hills on certain ride types, drop tracks, special trick tracks for the Maurer spinner like Winjas has), but I’m admittedly not sure if I’m being too specific & in-depth in what I’d like; I try to think of my parks as if they were real theme parks when I build, so my level of realism I try to use is probably far greater than that of your average Planet Coaster player, as it’s worth remembering that not everyone who plays Planet Coaster will necessarily be an enthusiast. In an ideal world, I would build my rides with really specific things like omnimover stations for single car coasters and other single-car rides, turntable stations for rapids rides, dual stations for flying coasters, but I accept that that is probably far too complex in terms of the coding required!

Nonetheless, I still love playing Planet Coaster, and I think they’ve done a tremendous job with it considering it’s a theme park simulation and not actual theme park management! Also, as I say, I probably want a level of realism that most players don’t need, so I’m probably being far too picky!

13. Tim

Tim TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Air / Blue Fire
    Don't worry you're not the only one asking for these features.

I wouldn't expect any more DLC for Planet Coaster now. It's been a year since the last one and all the focus seems to be on Planet Zoo (even the last DLC (Ghostbusters) was a feature test for Planet Zoo). The console addition later this year could include additional content that are added to PC but I doubt it.

But I can deffinetley see Planet Coaster 2 being announced in the next few years. They'll build on the engine improvements in Planet Zoo which I'm informed is a lot more stable, includes weather and scenery interaction, (which could be used for play areas). The existing ride assets can probably be reused so they'd have time to include new rides or redesign those that need it, (one of the last DLCs included a tower ride that could be ajusted in height, it would be amazing to allow this on all the others).
    In general a fresh start with a sequel feels like the best choice at this stage.

Matt N likes this.
  14. Tim

Tim TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Air / Blue Fire
    Can anyone else see any of the pictures I previously posted on here? I've always uploaded my pictures on OneDrive but it looks like it's started breaking links after a certain amount of time. I've already edited them twice.

Anyway the real reason for my post is that I've built my first park! Channel5 Gaming were doing a Mini Park contest and I thought it would be a great way to get back into the game!

Park's available on Steam:
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2192396708

I haven't posted about it until now to keep it under wraps but it's just been featured on their channel:

I can do a breakdown of the park here if there's enough interest but I might need to find a new place to upload photos first.

My first big park is still in the works but I want to do a big reveal for it when most the infrastructure is in place. Based on how long the mini park took me I'd give it a few years :p

Posted 3rd Sep 2020
  15. Burbs

Burbs TS Site Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Untamed, Walibi Holland
    No they seem to be broken unfortunately. :(

The park looks excellent though, top work!

Tim likes this.
    Posted 3rd Sep 2020
  16. DistortAMG

DistortAMG TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Pirates of the Caribbean (DLP)
    Absolutely nothing right now. Although I am a hard drive away from having my new computer up and running.

It has been nearly 2 years since I have been stuck into Planet Coaster, I am so excited to get back into it! The little things hey!

Really great seeing what everyone is doing too. Inspires you to get on the game even more!

Tim likes this.