• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Planning applications for new Scarefest maze locations

Don't understand why they're chucking money at Scarefest whilst the rest of the park is crumbling like a rich tea biscuit that's been dunked twice in tea.... Guess it keeps the people who like to pay extra for being yelled at in the face I suppose

I would imagine because it’s one of the areas of the park which desperately needs it.

If they didn’t do any scarefest improvements they’d get slated for that as well, at times it feels like they can’t win.

Plus money is being spent on maintenance but we come back to the old tune of 15 years of neglect.
People say that there have been “15 years of neglect”, but from what I know, I’d argue that the neglect could well have started even before the Merlin era, as I gather that Tussauds, particularly the later iterations, were not exactly known for maintaining things either.

Just a few years into Merlin’s tenure, pretty much all of Chessington’s original theming needed tearing down for H&S reasons. That level of rot would not have set in during Merlin’s 5 years or so in power at Chessington at the time, and I’ve even heard it said that DIC very nearly sold Chessington prior to the Merlin buyout due to how decrepit large swathes of the park were and how excessive the cost of replacing the unsafe theming was.

I’ve also heard tales of how The Haunted House allegedly declined in quality and maintenance as early as 1998, and how some of the dark ride refurbishments of the 2000s, such as Duel, Charlie and Bubbleworks mainly happened due to the original rides being undermaintained.

I fully agree with your general point, but I’d in fact argue that the “neglect” could have started earlier than Merlin’s tenure. I would argue that Tussauds simply had an easier time of not maintaining things than Merlin because a lot of the core infrastructure was much newer, and during the 90s at least, there was more investment into new attractions and more “medium” years.

If you think about it that way, we could in fact have had 20+ years of “neglect”.

I've mentioned it before but the new CEO Scott O'Neil said he wants to bring a taste of the large scale Halloween events they have in the states to the UK, which would mean scarefest getting a overhaul to be even comparable, I'm still keeping expectations realistic and they can't pat their backs if it's still the same old mazes + the invitation, some gaming YouTuber attraction and one free scare zone.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this year's scarefest I'll probably just go to fright nights and go to scarefest next year if they actually turn things around this year, unless it looks obvious they've actually made the effort beforehand I'll give it a pass again, fright nights is a good event already in my opinion anyway.

People say that there have been “15 years of neglect”, but from what I know, I’d argue that the neglect could well have started even before the Merlin era, as I gather that Tussauds, particularly the later iterations, were not exactly known for maintaining things either.

Just a few years into Merlin’s tenure, pretty much all of Chessington’s original theming needed tearing down for H&S reasons. That level of rot would not have set in during Merlin’s 5 years or so in power at Chessington at the time, and I’ve even heard it said that DIC very nearly sold Chessington prior to the Merlin buyout due to how decrepit large swathes of the park were and how excessive the cost of replacing the unsafe theming was.

I’ve also heard tales of how The Haunted House allegedly declined in quality and maintenance as early as 1998, and how some of the dark ride refurbishments of the 2000s, such as Duel, Charlie and Bubbleworks mainly happened due to the original rides being undermaintained.

I fully agree with your general point, but I’d in fact argue that the “neglect” could have started earlier than Merlin’s tenure. I would argue that Tussauds simply had an easier time of not maintaining things than Merlin because a lot of the core infrastructure was much newer, and during the 90s at least, there was more investment into new attractions and more “medium” years.

If you think about it that way, we could in fact have had 20+ years of “neglect”.
Think the main reason for Tussauds drop in standards towards the end was all over the Thrope Park buyout and that it became their new favourite toy by chucking money at it in which while the 2000s were very much what the 1990s are for Alton, Chessington was done really dirty in which all that money sent for Thorpe could have been spent on Chessington and Towers and likely all the issues both parks would suffer in the long run to this day would never had happened.

Does make you wonder with hindsight that acquiring Thorpe was a mistake on Tussauds' part which ultimately led to the company's downfall and acquisition into Merlin and that it seemed they bit off more than they could chew running three parks instead of two and I'd argue this still applies to Merlin to this day.

Same thing if Chessington had been sold off prior to Merlin buyout then that would have some interesting butterfly effects on both Towers and Thorpe in which without having to throw money at Chessington would have seen those two with larger budgets to play with in either attractions, staff pay and of course events like Scarefest and it is worth a topic on its own as that could have seen the UK theme park industry potentially going down a different path but I'm rambling.

I've mentioned it before but the new CEO Scott O'Neil said he wants to bring a taste of the large scale Halloween events they have in the states to the UK, which would mean scarefest getting a overhaul to be even comparable, I'm still keeping expectations realistic and they can't pat their backs if it's still the same old mazes + the invitation, some gaming YouTuber attraction and one free scare zone.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this year's scarefest I'll probably just go to fright nights and go to scarefest next year if they actually turn things around this year, unless it looks obvious they've actually made the effort beforehand I'll give it a pass again, fright nights is a good event already in my opinion anyway.
Yes but it's for a couple of weeks at the end of the year, the park has to run all year round. The money they are spending on these new buildings and mazes could have been invested in getting their rides to be more reliable throughout the year. If word spreads and they get a bad name for rides being down people won't go, or they'll go earlier in the season and not return for Scarefest.

Yes but it's for a couple of weeks at the end of the year, the park has to run all year round. The money they are spending on these new buildings and mazes could have been invested in getting their rides to be more reliable throughout the year. If word spreads and they get a bad name for rides being down people won't go, or they'll go earlier in the season and not return for Scarefest.

I don’t think the issue though is capital spend on parts, it’s likely staffing vacancies.

Two different budgets, from memory the events are funded through marketing rather than operations.

Plus I don’t buy “they have an issue with one part of the park therefore they should stop doing other things”. Merlin are big enough to tackle it all at once and they should be held to that standard.

I think this is a great development. It would be good if there was another 2 or 3 of these dotted around the park.

1) Near X Sector, maybe behind the oblivion or near the oblivion brake run

2) Behind the arcade in Mutiny Bay

3) Behind the Hex Building or convert the old car showroom

If this meant there would only be TOTT returning in the towers it would be great. (Hopefully with an indoor queue)

The more important question for me, is why are they doing this?

Are they planning on doing something with the towers? As it’s a very un-Merlin thing to do.

Think the main reason for Tussauds drop in standards towards the end was all over the Thrope Park buyout and that it became their new favourite toy by chucking money at it in which while the 2000s were very much what the 1990s are for Alton, Chessington was done really dirty in which all that money sent for Thorpe could have been spent on Chessington and Towers and likely all the issues both parks would suffer in the long run to this day would never had happened.

Does make you wonder with hindsight that acquiring Thorpe was a mistake on Tussauds' part which ultimately led to the company's downfall and acquisition into Merlin and that it seemed they bit off more than they could chew running three parks instead of two and I'd argue this still applies to Merlin to this day.

Same thing if Chessington had been sold off prior to Merlin buyout then that would have some interesting butterfly effects on both Towers and Thorpe in which without having to throw money at Chessington would have seen those two with larger budgets to play with in either attractions, staff pay and of course events like Scarefest and it is worth a topic on its own as that could have seen the UK theme park industry potentially going down a different path but I'm rambling.

They were not operating two parks though. They were also operating Porta Ventura. They just sold their shares in that park to buy Thorpe Park. Essentially swapping one park for another.

Granted, they did not outright own Portaventura but they had the controlling stake, alot of costs would have been associated to Tussuads along with the day to day operation.

Really looking forward to seeing what they come up with here. Hoping we finally get the Towers back to visit as a result of this too.

Last edited:
This sounds very promising - Scarefest desperately needs investment and 3 new mazes, with at least two to depart.

Contrary to some people's opinion, I'd rather they have a couple of mazes in the towers, purely for the unique setting and the atmosphere generated around the Towers. A strong Terror of the Towers should be the centrepiece of the event.

They used to be able to do it and have the Towers open until August, at which point they would close for maze prep.

Last edited:
If the intention is indeed to open up the Towers again, you could argue that by investing in mazes elsewhere they are indeed investing in the overall park experience. It won't make all the others area of neglect right, but it opens up an important additional "attraction" for want of a better word.

There's a magnificent historical building right at the heart of the park that they're forced to slowly keep investing in. The whole resort is named after, and built around it. You should at least be able to actually visit it. It's such an underutilised asset.

Last edited:
It would be great to see the Towers open and available again.

If they did use the Towers for Scarefest, I think one is fine (an iteration of TOTT), as long as it’s dismantled outside of the event to allow more of the Towers to open during the first part of the season.

It would be great to see the Towers open and available again.

If they did use the Towers for Scarefest, I think one is fine (an iteration of TOTT), as long as it’s dismantled outside of the event to allow more of the Towers to open during the first part of the season.
Or they could do a hex and have you belive you’re in the towers, but have the maze be a separate building.

If the intention is indeed to open up the Towers again, you could argue that by investing in mazes elsewhere they are indeed investing in the overall park experience. It won't make all the others area of neglect right, but it opens up an important additional "attraction" for want of a better word.

There's a magnificent historical building right at the heart of the park that they're forced to slowly keep investing in. The whole resort is named after, and built around it. You should at least be able to actually visit it. It's such an underutilised asset.

I think it’s a real shame/waste that at least part of it isn’t a high end hotel. I don’t think space wise it would be that different to CBeebies Hotel.

The west wing and banqueting hall could be something really special.

Cover the talbot gallery as the entrance.

As part of planning use percentage of proceeds to refurbish/secure the oldest parts of the building.

Use the gate opposite the railway as the entrance.

It could be really something. UKs answer to Disneyland hotel in Paris. It would command £300-£400 a night I’m sure. Exclusive access to part of the park.

Maybe use Swiss Cottage as an exclusive dining venue?

Wouldn’t be cheap, but a unique money printing machine. And universal can’t do that

I think it’s a real shame/waste that at least part of it isn’t a high end hotel. I don’t think space wise it would be that different to CBeebies Hotel.

The west wing and banqueting hall could be something really special.

Cover the talbot gallery as the entrance.

As part of planning use percentage of proceeds to refurbish/secure the oldest parts of the building.

Use the gate opposite the railway as the entrance.

It could be really something. UKs answer to Disneyland hotel in Paris. It would command £300-£400 a night I’m sure. Exclusive access to part of the park.

Maybe use Swiss Cottage as an exclusive dining venue?

Wouldn’t be cheap, but a unique money printing machine. And universal can’t do that
Always felt the west wing or gallery could have been brilliant spot for a museum had the park not thrown away things so willy nilly but that's then or now.

Thay said, a high end exclusive accommodation does have great potential should they want to expand their resort credentials but alas, given Merlin's own issues with their current accommodation regarding F&B and how many rooms need some updating, probably wise to sort those out first before they look into doing something for the Towers and even then if they wanted to do it, would they be allowed to do it regarding its heritage status?

Well Merlin already offer accomodation in one of their much much older, more historically important properties, Warwick Castle, so it's not impossible to imagine it being possible within the Towers.

MMM.jpg

I actually forgot I'd taken this at the end of March.
Shame I didn't focus properly, but I did wonder what the sink was for.
That's interesting that Merlin Magic Making is getting involved with Scarefest, it's always been Alton Towers Entertainments designing and running the whole event themselves. I know MMM has been involved with Thorpe Park Fright Nights for a while with their first maze being Creak Freak Massacre (which was overseen by AT Ents), which suggests there's going to be a significant relaunch of the Scarefest event and we're going to see the comments made by Sammut and O'Neil come to fruition.

At this point, I think every Scarefest attraction, with the possible exceptions of Trick O' Treat Town and Daz Games: Panic, are potentially on the chopping block, in fact I don't think there's any returning attraction which are "safe" to return this year...

That's interesting that Merlin Magic Making is getting involved with Scarefest, it's always been Alton Towers Entertainments designing and running the whole event themselves. I know MMM has been involved with Thorpe Park Fright Nights for a while with their first maze being Creak Freak Massacre (which was overseen by AT Ents), which suggests there's going to be a significant relaunch of the Scarefest event and we're going to see the comments made by Sammut and O'Neil come to fruition.

At this point, I think every Scarefest attraction, with the possible exceptions of Trick O' Treat Town and Daz Games: Panic, are potentially on the chopping block, in fact I don't think there's any returning attraction which are "safe" to return this year...
I believe that MMM van was left in March from the Forbidden Valley/Nemesis works and has now been removed with a digger visible in its place so I wouldn't read anything into it regarding MMM.

PXL_20240406_131000292.jpg