• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Pleasure Island, Cleethorpes

TheBaron

TS Member
I had many visits to this park as a young'un - and it remains engrained in my heart as one of those inevitably crap theme parks that has a heart of Gold...

With a farm area due I'm honestly somewhat surprised this place is still...well, changing!

It's completely separate from any of the larger company owned parks and seems to be based in a blissful little world known as the 'Cheap day out in Yorkshire Lancashire that's often taken advantage of by people from Yorkshire..ahem!'..!

And yet, something strikes me:
Tommy Tinkaboo's Sweet Factory Adventure is probably one of the best dark rides I remember being on, and some of the themed areas genuinely look...well, alright!

I doubt this is going to be a very well discussed topic, but...well, It felt like a horrible Tinkaboo shaped hole existed in this forum... :(

So, chaps, anything to say about the park whom's star rides are a Mine Train and a Boomerang..??

I live close by and may I say it ain't in Yorkshire, that's slightly offensive around here ;)

The £500,000 investment of the farm area seems to suggest that they'll survive for more years to come, which is good I guess but I see little reason to visit now. I did last year and the one before, but had not previously since about 1998 and I'm unlikely to go this year or next.

Tom said:
I live close by and may I say it ain't in Yorkshire, that's slightly offensive around here ;)

There goes my dignity, dreadfully sorry, a momentary display of sheer idiocy there! ::) :D I've fixed it in an utterly inconspicuous manner.

It's deffinatly not in Lanashire either. :p

I must say pleasure Islands Boomerang is one of the best kept in the world, an almost spotless recond unless I'm mistaken. :)

TheBaron said:
It's completely separate from any of the larger company owned parks and seems to be based in a blissful little world known as the 'Cheap day out in Yorkshire Lancashire that's often taken advantage of by people from Yorkshire..ahem!'..!

Still wrong, it's Lincolnshire!

But yes I agree, Tommy Tinkaboo's Sweet Factory Adventure is, for a park of this size, an excellently themed dark ride and easily stands up against others in this country! I've always enjoyed Pleasure Island a lot, it's a shame people look down their noses at it!

Hyperblaster is one of the best shot towers I've ever been on. The airtime you get on it is insane and the views from the top are awesome! Also, their Frisbee, Pendulus, is absolutely insane! So intense, honestly the best I've ever ridden! A vastly underrated park, people should visit it more often! :)

Being a local lad to the park, I used to visit this place all the time a few years ago, and still go occasionally. It's an nice little park in my opinion that is pretty underrated by most people, never busy and a pretty sweet selection of rides. Shame it seems as though the current management has no idea what they're doing in terms of the parks future though...

:)

I was going to go for Cumbria or Scotland instead but it seemed too obvious that way. ;)

I still remember being terrified of Tommy Tinkaboo's incredibly strange face. Not the nicest looking mascot, it has to be said...

I prefer to call it the Spewitron :p Still, I find it a weirdly enjoyable ride. This park has a lot of gems in it really, more people should pay it attention!

As spotted by Martyn B on CF, Pleasure Island have officially unveiled their new tractor ride.

NGUjndW.jpg

Pleasure Island said:
The new attraction at Pleasure Island this year promises to be a popular addition for all the family

Furry Friends Farm incorporates a superb tractor ride and themed paddocks housing everyone’s favourite farm animals such as pigs, sheep, cows and pygmy goats. An impressive indoor area provides a home for some of the smaller farmyard friends including rabbits, guinea pigs and newly hatched chicks. Throughout the course of the day there will be the opportunity to pet and feed the animals under the supervision of our farm manager.

Covering an area of approximately 5 acres the tractor ride takes its passengers on a journey around the various paddocks, at times offering an aerial view of our furry friends below. A great new attraction for the younger children in particular!

For schools looking to combine a lot of fun with education our animal talks will provide just that. Suitable for key stages one and two the children will be able to handle and feed some of the smaller animals whilst learning about them at the same time. Top this off with some free time on the rides, what better school trip can there be?

That cow looks a bit forlorn...

Well, this is unfortunate.

RideRater said:
Pleasure Island running at loss, says owner

Pleasure Island is running at a loss, according to its owner Melanie Wood.

Appearing on the BBC’s One Show on Monday evening, she said that the Cleethorpes theme park needed around 150,000 visitors annually to break even.

Wood revealed that only 135,000 passed through the park’s gates in 2012 and that the shortfall in income was being made up by the personal savings of her and her partner.

A disappointing 323 people visited the park on its open day this year.

A new petting farm attraction has been added to the park’s lineup this year, funded by £300,000 of Wood’s money.

She said that the park has costs of just under £2 million per year, with £900,000 of that being spent on wages and up to £300,000 going on ride maintenance during the closed season.

Future doesn't look very bright for Pleasure Island!

Well I don't know how deep the owner's pockets are but investment usually signifies that closure isn't imminent at least.

So are Flamingoland basically propping up Pleasure Island? If so, why don't they actually invest a bit more in the park like they do with 'Mingo?