• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

PortAventura: General Discussion

I love PA dearly, been going since I was a kid (22 now) and I just don't agree with the rides that maybe added at this point. I'm also a little unsure about the F1 hotel - I'm struggling to see how it will fit in Port Aventura as it is and I think they should of strayed away from this sort of thing and stuck with their own themes.

Having another accelerator seems silly since they already have Baco unless they are getting rid of it? Also having a drop tower attached to it like Kingda Ka/Zumanjaro seems a little pointless too as Hurakan Condor gives a wave from across the park...If it is taller than Hurakan Condor then it would make it redundant as I can't see the GP queuing for the attached drop tower and Hurakan Condor even though Hurakan Condor offers different seating/ride experience. People will just see it as another drop tower and not worth it after they have been on the 'bigger one' (thats if, as I say it will be bigger than Hurakan Condor - if it isn't then it just all seems a waste).

I think the money could be spent on a better investment rather than on F1 themed hotel & land. It doesn't really fit into Port Aventura. Maybe if it was a standalone, smaller park away from Port Aventura then yes like down near Barcelona but within Port Aventura - no.

They could of also come up with different selection of rides too.

I have a feeling this will be a separate entry attraction rather than an additional park land especially with the size of the investment. Also the drop tower attached to the coaster could be in the style of a space shot and you accelerate up the tower rather than a standard drop tower, which would make more sense with the theme.

From the park image it looks like it is being built on the current main car park, as you can see what looks like the hotel port aventura buildings on the edge of the pic and the hotel car park in the back ground. There are plenty of spaces they could build a new car main car park on land around the resort. If this is the location would be separate entry as would allow the entrance for the main theme park, the water park and this to be all next to each other.

It really doesn't fit with PA and it's another soulless corporate IP to prostitute and promote a product that most guests can't even buy.

But on the other hand, the hotel looks ace and a £100m investment in a park is never not a good thing.

It does look like it could well be a third gate. I can't help but feel it looks a tad small in the concpet though to be a third gate. At least if it is then it won't impact on the beaty and theme of the main park.

Another thing that's probably guaranteed with this is quality. Ferrari aren't likely to let anything sub-standard open in their name.

:)

Rob said:
Another thing that's probably guaranteed with this is quality. Ferrari aren't likely to let anything sub-standard open in their name.

I was thinking this as well, but I am not sure. Still, if it is a third gate, and it is as small as the images show, and it costs £50/60 to get in, there is no reason for it to be in top form all year round.

Ian

They will probably offer a combined 'all parks' ticket as they do now with combined tickets for the waterpark and theme park. That will be what grabs in the general public at least - and depending on the amount of attraction it further adds to PA as a theme park resort. I guess that's why the hotel is 5* too, it will be unlike any other hotel in the area.

By looking at the concept images the new Park is situated infront of PortAventura Convention Centre to the left of Hotel PortAventura. Therefore the Park wont intrude on PortAventura Park, so the themes wont clash and neither will the view. The new coaster will be no where near to Dragon Khan and Shambhala.

PortAventura will now have 3 Parks and 5 Hotels! :D

Also I don't know if anyone's noticed this. In a statement PortAventura have also announced they may be continuing their partnership with Cirque Du Soleil to build a permanent base for them at the PortAventura Resort!

"PortAventura also recently unveiled an agreement with Cirque du Soleil, the world's
leading theatre company. During the months of July and August, the Canadian troupe will install its Big Top in the resort to perform one of its most celebrated shows, 'Kooza'. The agreement also lays the groundwork for the possible creation of a permanent base for Cirque du Soleil at the resort in the near future."

You can find the rest of the article here: http://img.portaventura.es/prensa/notas/NdP_Proyecto_Ferrari_Land_ENG_March_13.pdf

Where has anyone mentioned the removal of Baco? Unfortunately, I don't think it's very likely, as these two coasters will be of a very different style - all they have in common is the launch.

sKn4ENU.jpg

Looks utterly soulless to me, though of course the coaster and drop towers will be good. Presumably it'll be somewhere between the height of Shambhala and TTD/KK.

F1 and Ferrari completely turn me off as brands, so a whole new park based around them doesn't do anything for me. F1 is just a nauseating celebration of money for idiots basically, run by corrupt Nazis. And it shows itself in that horrible, overbearingly oppressive, corporate dick-waving hotel.

FGtyhKW.jpg

Eurgh. How soulless.

The launched coaster, if concepts are accurate, is a missed opportunity.

It's a shame that the coaster can't do some twists and turns after the top hat. That would make it much more interesting and it would suit an F1 theme better.

:)

The problem with this development is that it further strengthens PortAventura's imagine as an utterly corporate park.

Whereas many of the other large parks in Europe are still family owned (BPB), or run as small businesses (Phantasia), and many have a long history (Liseberg), PA does feel extremely corporate.

Whereas other parks could say 'we've been run by the xx family for over 187 years' all PA can say is 'we've been run by several international conglomerates and investment banking groups since 1995'

Getting into bed with Ferrari, that symbol of utter soullessness and corporate wealth, only strengthens that feel about the place. Where is the love, where is the passion, where is the heart? Unfortunately, like the Merlin parks, it is a place that is run by the beancounters, not by artists. Disney are clever in this regard, being a corporate behemoth but letting the Imagineers dominate the parks and instill them with genuine warmth and soul.

To clarify:

Portaventura currently have the tallest coaster in Europe and the fastest launch. Why build something to take the gloss of Shambhala so soon?

Also, what of Hurakan Condor with more drop towers here?

There is no saying the coaster will be as high as Shambhala as the press release states Europes highest and fastest launch coaster rather than just saying Europes tallest and fastest coaster.

i wonder if he drop tower will feature a launch upwards like a spaceshot rather than a standard intamin drop tower and would fit the theme better. Also the original Ferrari park features a spiderman style dark ride and a sourin style theatre as well, wonder if we will see any of these at this park.

Will be interesting to see this develop as i actually enjoy visiting Port Aventura and will give another reason to go back.

Can't say the sound of a Ferrari World excites me too much, but it can only be a positive thing for the resort. Thankfully, it's garishness will not infringe on the existing park's themes.

I would much rather they spent the money building a quality dark ride or B&M inverter in the existing park though.

Maelstrom said:
i wonder if he drop tower will feature a launch upwards like a spaceshot rather than a standard intamin drop tower and would fit the theme better. Also the original Ferrari park features a spiderman style dark ride and a sourin style theatre as well, wonder if we will see any of these at this park.

I severely doubt that. The accelerator is Intamin, and so the drop tower is almost certain to be Intamin too. And the only company who've ever done the launch upward towers are S&S - and 99/100 people would prefer a good drop tower to a Spaceshot.

Alastair said:
Maelstrom said:

I severely doubt that. The accelerator is Intamin, and so the drop tower is almost certain to be Intamin too. And the only company who've ever done the launch upward towers are S&S - and 99/100 people would prefer a good drop tower to a Spaceshot.

Whilst I'm pretty sure they'll just be standard drops like Lex Luthor they could possibly be shot and drops. I believe the Intamin Bungie towers used in Mystery Castle are actually just "bolt on" towers, so they could probably be adapted to fit on the side of the coaster if they wanted to use them.

Not that I think they would, but just suggesting that they possibly could :)

Intamin have indeed made "bungie" Towers [well, one], (which is the only drop based ride I have ever enjoyed). But The concept images seem to show a 2nd Gen Intamin drop tower with a catch car above the seats, implying a basic "lift n' drop" type ride.

AstroDan said:
To clarify:

Portaventura currently have the tallest coaster in Europe and the fastest launch. Why build something to take the gloss of Shambhala so soon?

Also, what of Hurakan Condor with more drop towers here?

Exactly my thoughts.

I know that my thoughts aren't usually taken seriously in PA discussions, but I'll add them anyway! I really, really don't like what they are doing here, it goes against everything I read about the place in their 1995-2012 book about the vision they had for the park and I just feel like this is dragging the park in the wrong direction at great speed.

It's my favourite park and I really do like most things on offer at the place, so if anything was to be removed for this development then 2016 will be the year I stop visiting the place all together, not just cut down visits.