• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

PortAventura: General Discussion

The most likely explanation is just a freak occurrence - somebody dropped a jumper and it got caught beneath the wheels (or a bird got caught beneath the wheels) or something.

Diamondback stalled in it's opening season if I recall (it definitely has, just cannot remember WHEN)...

Something that happens sometimes really...

Jared said:
Has anyone looked into where it stalled? It's sat between the ampersand turn and the really small bunny hop... Now, I don't know about you, but how on earth has it stalled there? Unless it's been affected by the hill after it?

To me, it seems a bit strange... I think there might be more to this than just the weather.

I would presume that it settled at that point after a good amount of going back and forth over the small bunny hop and up the next main hill, unless anyone has evidence to say otherwise I would presume that it came to chance that when it finally ran out of energy to climb the bunny hop it was on that side of it rather than the other side.

Isn't that bunny/speed hill the one with the trim on? Maybe it malfunctioned and slowed the train too much, or maybe even stopped it completely?

If so, maybe this will teach B&M to quit putting trims all over their rides when they don't need them?

Thought B&M didn't use magnetic? Need some close up pics of the trim to find out... But most B&Ms usually have a trim that only activates in certain cases... This could well be a mix of strong winds, or a computer fault...

Benzin said:
Thought B&M didn't use magnetic? Need some close up pics of the trim to find out... But most B&Ms usually have a trim that only activates in certain cases... This could well be a mix of strong winds, or a computer fault...

I believe you are correct actually, here's a screenshot from the above video of the trims:

ShambhalaTrim.jpg

And here is a shot of one of the same type of brakes on The Swarm:

swarmandthorpe131025cro.jpg

I'm certain they are mechanical brakes looking at that photo and considering they're half way around the circuit!

B&M have started using magnetic trims and brakes. The trims on Silver Star were originally mechanical but have recently been replaced with magnetic ones for example.

The brakes shown above on both Shambhala and Swarm are magnetic.

John said:
B&M have started using magnetic trims and brakes. The trims on Silver Star were originally mechanical but have recently been replaced with magnetic ones for example.

The brakes shown above on both Shambhala and Swarm are magnetic.

Are we sure? They seemed too random earlier this year to be magnetic, especially as they should (in theory) work more when the train is faster, yet I didn't feel any difference when it was chucking it down with rain...

Madness...

They are electromagnets so most of the time they probably aren't even on, hence why you don't tend to feel B&M's trims.

The reason Th13teen's trims are so damning is because they are nearly always on unless their is literately no one riding the trains.

I think they are always on/permanent magnets, but the little ram at the bottom means they can control how close they get to the fins and therefore how much breaking force is applied.

So it looks like there might have been a malfunction that caused them to close too far and slow the train down far too much.

It was a very cold and windy day apparently. It managed to get around the '&' element and over the speed hill but failed to fully crest the next hill and rolled back and forward before coming to a stop in between the '&' and speed hill section. The trains were then taken off the track and left under the '&' element for the rest of the day. The incident happened in the morning and was later operational in the day - just seems like it happened because of the cold, windy weather.

An update from Screamscape regarding the water park expansion for 2013:

2013 - Costa Caribe Expansion - (1/25/13) PortAventura confirmed to the media that they would spend 10 million Euros to expand the Costa Caribe waterpark in 2013. The major new attraction on the way is said to be the tallest slide in all of Europe that will stand 31 meters tall and feature a 55º plunge. Next to it will be a “multi bump” slide with “an undulating course”. A six-lane matt racer slide will also be added along with a waving pool, a Sesame Street themed pirate ship with four slides for the kiddies, a splash pad and a new “adult pool”.
Some of the artwork showing off the expansion can also be seen over at ElBlogDeDream.

From Screamscape today:

Park News - (3/15/13) The local news reports that PortAdventure will spend $75 million Euros over the next five years to expand and improve the theme park resort, including increasing the number of hotel rooms they have on property.