• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

PortAventura: General Discussion

Well that's certainly another way to use No Limits! :p

PA are certainly spending a lot of money on this water park expansion. I hope I can visit in a year or two! :D

elBlogdeDream.com have a photo of update on the Costa Caribe Water Park expansion here.

I also spotted this on Screamscape's PA page:
(1/25/13) PortAventura confirmed to the media that they would spend 10 million Euros to expand the Costa Caribe waterpark in 2013. The major new attraction on the way is said to be the tallest slide in all of Europe that will stand 31 meters tall and feature a 55º plunge. Next to it will be a “multi bump” slide with “an undulating course”. A six-lane mat racer slide will also be added along with a waving pool, a Sesame Street themed pirate ship with four slides for the kiddies, a splash pad and a new “adult pool”.
Some of the artwork showing off the expansion can also be seen over at ElBlogDeDream.
Here's two images to go along with it:

db_2013_PortAventuraWaterpark11.jpg

db_2013_PortAventuraWaterpark21.jpg

Having now got back from a few days at PortAventura, I'm very pleased to say that Shambhala is nothing short of amazing. It's my new favourite coaster. :D Dragon Khan's good, but it's rougher than I remembered it to be. As for Furius Baco? The launch is good, but as soon as the train enters the first turn, pain ensues. It's not pleasant. Stampida was only running one train either side, and the back few rows didn't take any guests for health and safety reasons, according to Sanbrooke (who we managed to bump into several times). Hurakan Condor was brilliant, as it was in 2006 when I last visited Porta, although I'd forgotten how tall it actually was. :p The rapids are great - especially with a boat full of 9 people. We got a couple of decent spins on them as well! All I can say about the log flume is that you will get VERY wet on it. Given the fact that temperatures were in the mid-20s while we were there, this wasn't a big problem. The theming was relatively good across the park, with Shambhala looking very good. I especially loved the chewing gum tunnel on Tutuki Splash. :p

I was quite impressed with the park, although the hotel is another thing. We were in Hotel PortAventura, and the only bar there closed at 11pm. More to the point, it was the only bar on resort that was open! Yes, it may be low season, but quite frankly, this isn't good for those who want a few drinks of an evening. Also, some of the food on offer wasn't all that wonderful. There was a buffet which cost €24 per head - not including drinks - and the quality of food on offer was rather sub-par. If it were €15 and had soft drinks included in the price, I would have been a bit more satisfied. The chilli available in La Cantina in Mexico is good - well-spiced and well-priced and I'd recommend it. It's probably the best food on park. In China, there is a 'Happiness Station', where you can buy ice-cream and up to five toppings of your own choosing. I loved it, although the ice-cream did make the Haribo bears go a bit hard. :p

I only saw one show - El Saloon de Roxy - but I thought it was pretty good. The songs are largely in English (two lifted from Chicago and one by Christina Aguilera), and the dialogue is mainly in Spanish, but it wasn't as hard to follow as I thought it would have been. The dancing was borderline burlesque, but would be suitable for families with more mature children.

Hotel PortAventura look great on the outside, but they just feel bland and lacking in character on the inside. The rooms are lacking in any extra décor, and the Buffet del Port (one of the hotel's restaurants) only really has wooden boxes nailed to the walls. Disappointing for what's supposed to be a four-star hotel.

Overall, I was rather impressed with the park. The two major changes since I first went have been the installations of Furius Baco (which was being constructed when I first visited) and Shambhala. I'd be happy to go back, but only if/when another major ride has been installed. Most of the coasters were only running one train (Baco was running two), which didn't help throughputs very much, but as the queues were largely less than 30 minutes, I wasn't too bothered. I wasn't overly keen on the staggered seating on Shambhala, with the two outer seats of a row being pushed back slightly. It just didn't really seem right for a B&M. Still, the front row of Shambhala is amazing, the splashdown is rather photogenic and the mini-camelback offers an insane amount of airtime. :D

Guess this is the best place for me to put my thoughts too, although I mainly agree with what Jon has written, so in summary;

The hotel looked great from the outside but the room interiors were a little bland. Perfectly acceptable and clean though, along the lines of your average Ibis and there was plenty of space. Lack of a bar open past 11 (if at all) is an issue though!

Food-wise, breakfast was ok, nothing special. The buffet, however, was very poor for the price.

Baco is an abomination of a coaster! Seriously one of the worst I've ever ridden. The launch was pretty fun but everything after was just headache inducing as it bounces along the track. I tried it near the back on an outside seat and 2nd row on an inside seat and hated both lol.

Dragon Kahn was good fun, if a little on the rough side. It was nice to ride an intense B&M sit down though, even if it wasn't very rerideable.

Shambhala is absolutely EPIC! It completely blew me away! I was expecting something good, something slightly better than Silver Star (which I rank around no.20 on my personal list) but as it stands, I'm seriously mulling it over, and Shambles may well be my new no.3 coaster behind EGF and iSpeed. The airtime is completely insane, especially on the front row. With the pretty lax restraint checks I was literally out of my seat for the majority of the ride, being slammed back down into my seat as we started to climb the next airtime hill. Whilst not the ejector airtime of EGF (although there was a little bit of ejector near the back, mostly on the 1st drop), this was strong sustained floater of the highest level. Managed to get 13 rides on it on my 2 days on park but would have happily had more. I could reride all day tbh and would probably return to the park just for this ride alone. I miss you already Shambles :(

Hype wheel rising!

Can't wait to ride Shambhala. Yet more swords into Nemesis' heart.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

So am I the only person in the world who really enjoyed Furious Baco? Maybe it's because it was my first ever experience of a proper Launch Coaster, but that Launch absolutely blew my mind. Don't recall it being too rough, but this was 4 years ago now.

Either way, I have very fond memories of it. Roughness doesn't bother me too much on coasters ( I usually enjoy it actually,) so maybe that's why I liked it so much.

andyramone said:
So am I the only person in the world who really enjoyed Furious Baco?

Yes. ;)

I found the launch underwhelming compared to the two UK Intamin rockets. It's only 3.9mph faster than Stealth, but it takes a whole 1.6 seconds longer to get there. Even Rita packs more of a punch for me. The only thing than makes Baco's launch intense is the vibration. ::)

DiogoJ42 said:
andyramone said:
So am I the only person in the world who really enjoyed Furious Baco?

Yes. ;)

I found the launch underwhelming compared to the two UK Intamin rockets. It's only 3.9mph faster than Stealth, but it takes a whole 1.6 seconds longer to get there. Even Rita packs more of a punch for me. The only thing than makes Baco's launch intense is the vibration. ::)

Like I said, it was the first proper launch coaster I ever rode, and the first big rollercoaster after a theme park hiatus of around 10 years. So I think my first impression were always bound to be good. I was completely overwhelmed by the launch, having never experienced anything like it (closets would be The Thunderlooper back in the 90's.)

Stealth's launch is phenomenal though, I love that ride. So short but packs an incredible punch.

I intend to go back to PA one day, so will be interesting to see if still enjoy Furious Baco, now I'm visiting Theme Parks more regularly.

Stealth's launch got me the first time...

Since that though, I rode Top Thrill Dragster, and Stealth is now a former shadow of itself...

I'm going here in September now, with half price hotel <3 and unlimited Express Pass (cos sod queuing there, done it before and it was bad enough, let alone not having to queue for Baco <3)...

Fair point, if you hadn't been on a hydraulic launch before. The first one you do is always breath taking (Rita for me). I know someone who refuses to even look at a launch of any kind after one ride on Rita. :p Bless.

I rode Rita after riding Baco and it just felt so slow. I don't know how anyone can say Rita packs more punch. Some cars are faster than that meandering "coaster".

Rita actually has a pretty high average speed.

Baco did feel "faster" but to be frank, I was so concerned with the vibrations, I didn't really have time to appreciate it.

With exception to the inversion, Baco is essentially a larger version of Rita - with less inclines.

Screamscape said:
New Family Ride - (7/18/13) In a video interview with the General Manager of PortAventura he mentions that the park is looking into a new family ride for 2014, possibly in the Asian area of the park. In the long term future he also mentions that they may look into building more dark rides as well.

Dark rides are clearly what the park is lacking. Disney, EP and Efteling are all either building or planning blockbuster dark rides and PA need to keep up!

I had heard the were reserving the area behind Shambles' lift hill for a dark ride. Fingers crossed!

The park confirmed in a recent interview with the parks GM that they will add a new family attraction in 2014 most likely in china.

Construction has apparently now started in the past few days at the back of china near shambhala. Rumours suggest it will be a new water attraction and is likely to be either a mack splash battle or mack water coaster. It seems s bit early to start construction on a splash battle though. A water coaster would be great and would be incredibly popular at the park.

In regards to dark rides the GM said park guests prefer outdoor rides but will look at possibility of adding some dark rides in the next few years. The management also recently visited eftling.