• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

PortAventura: General Discussion

I personally wouldn't buy one for 40 minute queues, I'd save it for when they're 2 hours plus in the summer but they are good value either way.

Has the weather picked up yet or is it still a bit cool?

Going again on 3rd June and had a question I was wondering if anyone could help answer. Now I know you get get the express bands on the park but they only allow express for that day. Now I know if you stay at the hotels you can get express passes for the same price but they last the whole time of your stay. Now when you buy these at the hotels, do they ask for a room number or proof that you are staying there? As I was wondering if I could just pop into one of the hotels and pay for one of the bands, or would they ask for proof I was staying at one of their hotels?

Going again on 3rd June and had a question I was wondering if anyone could help answer. Now I know you get get the express bands on the park but they only allow express for that day. Now I know if you stay at the hotels you can get express passes for the same price but they last the whole time of your stay. Now when you buy these at the hotels, do they ask for a room number or proof that you are staying there? As I was wondering if I could just pop into one of the hotels and pay for one of the bands, or would they ask for proof I was staying at one of their hotels?

The Express Pass's in the Parks are only valid on the day of purchase, either once on every ride included, unlimited rides included, or unlimited with one front row on Dragon Khan, Furius Baco and Shambhala.

You can only buy the Express Pass's valid for your stay from the Resort hotels and you have to show a valid PortAventura Pass (room key) and hotel card to buy them.

Attractions included are:
  • Furius Baco
  • Tutuki Splash
  • Angkor: Adventure in the Lost Kingdom
  • Shambhala: Expedition to the Himalayas
  • Dragon Khan
  • El Diablo: Tren de la Mina
  • Templo Del Fuego
  • Stampida
  • Silver River Flume
  • Grand Canyon Rapids
  • VIP seating in selected show venues
Hope that helps!

This is very useful, thanks siralgenon.
Do you know what the price is for the hotel express pass? Is it cheaper for kids who can't go on some of these rides?

We've got a week booked at the El Paso hotel for the end of August, and I'm wondering if this is something I'll need to budget for.

Also do you know if the hotel pass covers express at the water park as well, or would that need to be purchased separately?

Thanks.

This is very useful, thanks siralgenon.
Do you know what the price is for the hotel express pass? Is it cheaper for kids who can't go on some of these rides?

We've got a week booked at the El Paso hotel for the end of August, and I'm wondering if this is something I'll need to budget for.

Also do you know if the hotel pass covers express at the water park as well, or would that need to be purchased separately?

Thanks.

As far as I am aware (I go every year and don't actually buy them a lot because I've never really needed too) there is only one price for each pass whether you are an adult or a child. The Hotel pass's are either the same price or literally a few euros extra than the prices shown on the website https://www.portaventuraworld.com/en/tickets/express-pass

PortAventura Express Caribe is a separate pass for the Waterpark which works the same way as the others. If you're visiting at the end of August both parks will be extremely busy as it will be in the summer holidays, it depends how long you are willing to queue, attractions such as Silver River Flume, Templo Del Fuego, Shambhala and Furius Baco could get wait times up to 2:30hrs. It's usually the attractions listed on the Express passes that get the biggest queues, smaller attractions and childrens attractions very rarely get a queue over 10 / 15 mins no matter what time of year.

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately with the kids in school now it had to be during school holidays, so I'm expecting it to be busy :(
I doubt the kids will manage full days though so I expect we will do a couple of hours in the mornings, and then again towards the end of the day, which hopefully will be the quieter times.
I think we will probably see how it goes on the first day, and then decide whether or not to buy the express passes, as it will end up quite a lot of money for the four of us.

After going last summer I would totally recommend buying express passes! We joined an indicated 30 minute baco queue, waited for 2 hours then left. Still nowhere near boarding and people were smoking inside a poorly ventilated area on a very hot day (despite many signs). After that and lunch we only had maybe 2 hours before we had to leave because trains. We got the basic pass, but god it was worth it! Managed to get the 4 major rides done, that was having no idea where things even were!

This was early June, so if it's major summer holiday time then it could be even worse. It all depends of if you want to get a lot done in a small amount of time. I know damn sure that unless I returned during the least busy time of year, I'd always buy the fast pass. Very few people seemed to be using it, so that 2hr + baco queue turned into 5 minutes. Although the ride is hardly worth that...

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately with the kids in school now it had to be during school holidays, so I'm expecting it to be busy :(
I doubt the kids will manage full days though so I expect we will do a couple of hours in the mornings, and then again towards the end of the day, which hopefully will be the quieter times.
I think we will probably see how it goes on the first day, and then decide whether or not to buy the express passes, as it will end up quite a lot of money for the four of us.
Yeah, pop in the Parks first and see how busy they are and then decide after, don't make the mistake I did the other year, where I bought one as I walked in because the entrance plaza was busy, and then once you were inside it was dead all day.

If it is busy though they are totally worth it, especially if it's your first visit so you can get everything done! :)

Today PortAventura's artistic director Gianfranco Bollini revealed that FiestAventura will be returning on June 24th on the Mediterrania lagoon.

I for one are disappointed that the show in it's current form will be returning again this year, although it received a few new floats and lighting upgrades last year for the 20th Anniversary it really has run its course now with no major alterations. It's about time we saw a new lake show with new fountains, projections and effects to bring it back up to date and on par with other night time shows produced by other parks.

I'm sure for a new guest it will still be a very enjoyable show but for the people who have seen it before or visit every year it does become quite boring and old fashioned as I think @James might agree.

Sorry, tripple post. :tearsofjoy:

I've just returned back from a 4 night break to PortAventura so I thought I'd post a few updates from last week. I'm hoping to write a trip report in the next week if I have time, but here's a few snippets if not!

PortAventura WORLD
Obviously the biggest change this year is the re-branding to 'PortAventura WORLD', with signs all around the Resort in the process of being replaced and changed, surprisingly all of the road signs around the Resort and on the motorways have also been replaced, but obviously this is a big task and is a work in process.

New for 2016
Horror in Texas

In a surprising announcement the other day, Artistic Director Gianfranco Bollini revealed that PortAventura would be opening it's first year-round scare attraction in summer 2016. The attraction will be located in the Horror in Penitence show building at the centre of Stampida adjacent to the Penitence cemetery. Horror in Penitence is believed to be undergoing modifications, refurbishments and scene changes to bring the attraction up to scratch as a permanent attraction and will operate on a calendar very similar to Templo Del Fuego's. The maze will debut on White Night 'Summer Night', June 25 from 4:00pm - 9:30pm, the . It's not yet known if the maze will have a surcharge.

New look for Hotel Caribe
As part of the PortAventura World re-brand Hotel Caribe is undergoing some aesthetic enhancements throughout 2016. I have always felt this hotel has been the odd one out when it comes to PortAventura hotels. Whereas Gold River, El Paso, PortAventura, Mansion de Lucy and The Callaghan's are all heavily themed, Caribe has always been simplistic and looked like it could be a normal hotel. The changes include new theming, structures, bright colours and water features which add warmth and charm to what was once a very basic exterior.

2lx8mk3.jpg

2hprt6w.jpg

wjyl9h.jpg

Family Session Studio 3D
A new 3D photo studio has opened up in Far West next to the Western Studio, you and / or your family stand in the middle of a body scanner as a 3D printer produces a 3D doll like figure of yourselves. They looked creepy as and I don't know why you'd want a model of yourself but it was cool either way.

Willy Waffles
Probably the best and most popular addition to PortAventura are the new Willy Waffles from El Posit in Mediterrania. You can choose to have your willy (waffle) on a stick dipped in either Nutella, Chocolate or Cream and they are amaze and obviously very popular, couldn't guess why?!

How were the queues siralgenon? I'm going on Tuesday to Friday and was wondering whether to get express or not, bit worried it's going to be swamped with rowdy Spanish school groups!

How were the queues siralgenon? I'm going on Tuesday to Friday and was wondering whether to get express or not, bit worried it's going to be swamped with rowdy Spanish school groups!

I was going to save this for the trip report but i'll post it here as well. Queue times weren't bad at all 40mins tops, infact one afternoon Furius Baco was walk on.

The following ride count was added up over 3 days in PortAventura Park (No Express):

Attractions
Furius Baco X5
Shambhala X2
Dragon Khan X1
Stampida (Red) X2
Stampida (Blue) X1
Silver River Flume X1
Tomahawk X2
Volpaiute X1
Templo Del Fuego X3
24 Crazy Barrels X1
Grand Canyon Rapids X2
Union Pacific Railroad X1
IceAge: The Ride X1
Kon Tiki Wave X1
Angkor X2
El Diablo X2
Los Potrillos X1
Hurakan Condor X1
Yucatan X1
Tutuki Splash X1
Coco Piloto X1
Tami Tami X1
Magic Fish X1
El Salto de Blas X1
Port de la Drassana X1
Marisposas Saltarinas X1
Wild Buffalos X1
Penitence Rodeo X1
El Secreto de los Mayas X1

Shows
Revolution X1
Bang Bang West X1
Can Can West X1
PortAventura on Parade X1
Woody on Tour X4
Betty Boop on Tour X3
American Music X2

That's great news, sounds like you had an excellent trip so thanks for sharing. I'm also staying at Caribe so nice to hear of the improvements there

Furious Backache had a throughput of 417pph today... the queue was moving painfully slow, one train operation and very slow staff on a very busy day with loads of Fastrack riders.

Other than that operations seems to have improved a lot on all the other rides. Staff working quicker and seeming a little happier than their usual miserable selves.

Furius Baco excluded. Queue times have been pretty decent this time of the year. Over my three days of visits the biggest queue has been for Shambhala at 40 minutes.

I'll share some more views when I'm back home in a week. On the whole operations are better, shows are okay but not a patch on previous years, and the park as a whole is a bit of a mixed bag. It's still a great park, although much like Towers there are neglected areas that need some TLC.

Squeezed in a quick visit this weekend, my first time at PA. Was very busy so didn't get much time to explore, pretty much just did the coaters, Condor and a couple flats. On the whole the park looks great but operations are not brilliant.

Shambhala is great, Khan is solid, Stampida is crap and the less said about Baco the better.

It's clearly not a place to just spend half a day so I'd like to return at some point, but not until there's a new major coaster. And I'm not counting the Ferrari coaster because that's clearly going to be terrible.

Hi, I'm going to Barcelona in mid September and was wondering what the best/cheapest way is to sort out a PortAventura day trip. I saw an offer for train travel included in the price of a ticket - is that the best option to buy? Or do they do 2 for 1s or similar in Spain?

Also between Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday in September does anyone know what day might be quietest/what day to avoid? Thanks

Hi, I'm going to Barcelona in mid September and was wondering what the best/cheapest way is to sort out a PortAventura day trip. I saw an offer for train travel included in the price of a ticket - is that the best option to buy? Or do they do 2 for 1s or similar in Spain?

When I went from Barcelona I used this method of getting there and getting in. I didn't see any special offers when going around Barcelona, but there could of been. I used that way because it was the easiest, it's very easy, but if you do use it then be careful when traveling back to Barcelona as the station at Port Aventura has only one platform, and when a train came in at the time the timetable said the one back to Barcelona would it turned out to be the wrong one and everyone had to get off.

Anyway, hope this helps.