• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

PortAventura: General Discussion

Isn't Red Force technically a Giga coaster?Strata just refers to it being a complete circuit coaster of 400 feet or more.

Yeah it doesn't quite qualify in the strictest sense however it's about as close as we have in Europe to KK n TTD. It's not quite 400ft though you are quite right.

New for 2020 / 25th Anniversary

Details for PortAventura's 25th Anniversary have started to emerge online in preparation for the new season in March, this will mark the start of PortAventura's continuous 365 days a year opening calendar!

NEW: Easter Celebration!

For the first time PortAventura will be be celebrating Easter with the new Easter Celebration! event in PortAventura Park. SesamoAventura will be decked out with Easter decorations as well as activities such as egg decorating and themed character meet 'n' greets.

NEW: Shrek: The Musical!
Shrek, Donkey and Princess Fiona return to PortAventura in 2020 (after appearing as a meet 'n' greet during Christmas) in a new musical show at the Temple Magic Jing-Chou in China.

NEW: Daytime Lagoon Show (Name yet to be released)
Pyrotechnic show on the Mediterrania Lagoon.

NEW: BMX Stunt Show
Stunt show in Ferrari Land.

NEW: 25th Anniversary Show
Musical in Grand Teatre Imperial.

NEW: 25th Anniversary Party
(Details yet to be released)

NEW: Show at Plaza Imperial
(Details yet to be released)

NEW: FiestAventura 25th Anniversary Special
FiestAventura is set to be renewed with new theming, floats and special effects when the show returns this summer with a 25th Anniversary overlay.

NEW: Oscar the Grouch Meet 'n' Greet
In addition to Sesame Street characters, Elmo, Abby Cadabby, Trixie, The Count, Cookie Monster and last years arrival Big Bird, this year Oscar will join his pals in SesamoAventura.

Other news, additions and events are expected to be released on the run up to the 25th Anniversary and throughout the year...
They should stop messing around with floats, shows and meet 'n' greets and actually refurbish their existing rides, like DLP did for their anniversary.

If they're going 365 they should be working on getting the capacity of all of their big rides up and fixing some of the numerous problems with their existing roster (making Khan and Baco more rideable, making the mine train less boring with BTR-esque effects).

Has the new hotel fastpass perks replaced the discounted unlimited length of stay fast track that any onsite hotel guest could purchase (was about €65 if I recall) if staying in standard rooms or hotels where this new offer isn’t applicable?

If so I won’t be visiting anytime soon as wouldn’t visit without fast track due to the way park is operated. I also notice since last visit in 2017, breakfast is no longer automatically included and need to pay more for that to be included.

They should stop messing around with floats, shows and meet 'n' greets and actually refurbish their existing rides, like DLP did for their anniversary.

If they're going 365 they should be working on getting the capacity of all of their big rides up and fixing some of the numerous problems with their existing roster (making Khan and Baco more rideable, making the mine train less boring with BTR-esque effects).

I think that's a little unfair, PortAventura is one of the most pristine parks I've been to, a lot of effort goes into maintaining the attractions. Last year Grand Canyon Rapids, got a refreshed queue line, updated boats and station, El Diablo got newly repainted trains / new queue line, Furius Back got its pre show fixed with working effects, Tomahawk got new trains the other year, Stampida got all the graffiti removed.

There's nothing else they can do with Furius Baco, it's already had modified trains and adjustments, as for Dragon Khan it's no rougher than Nemesis, it is 25 years old after all.

I know people a lot of people like to moan about PA and most of the time rightly so. But appearance and maintenance wise I don't think it's justified.

Last edited:
Has the new hotel fastpass perks replaced the discounted unlimited length of stay fast track that any onsite hotel guest could purchase (was about €65 if I recall) if staying in standard rooms or hotels where this new offer isn’t applicable?

If so I won’t be visiting anytime soon as wouldn’t visit without fast track due to the way park is operated. I also notice since last visit in 2017, breakfast is no longer automatically included and need to pay more for that to be included.

The Express Pass offers for Hotel guests are still available, the ones above are just already included in certain room types.

I've just booked August for a week too (off Site) Really looking forward to getting back there.
We don't really queue for the big coasters anymore so FT isn't really needed for us. I just use Singer Rider if I want to grab a ride on Shambala.

I can't believe all the stick Portaventura is getting on this forum. Yes, operations can be poor and you do see some queue jumping but the theming is fantastic and they've got a great variety of rides. I can get 3 nights in Salou full board at a decent hotel plus return flights, transfers and park ticket for £200. Either go out of season or throw in an unlimited express pass for £50 and you'll have a wonderful time.
I agree with this

I agree with this

I'll tell you why I give the place stick.

• Poor operations. The park is a misery without some form of fastrack on all but the quietest days of the season
  • Staggered operations both on the day (rides opening 1 or 2 hours after opening, and some closing 1 or 2 hours before closing) and some attractions, such as Templo del Fuego, closed entirely for extended periods (like in winter, a lot of their closures are inexplicable given how busy the park seems to be)
  • An entertainments programme that does not run daily - you'll go on some days and shows will not be on
  • Poor food is endemic across the resort hotels. In fact, they will let you book restaurants only to tell you they're shut when you get there.
  • The rides, quite frankly aren't all that. In terms of coasters, you have the great (Shambhala), good (Khan or Red Force) or downright poor. There seems no middle ground (although Stampida is improving steadily)
  • Ferrari Land is a bit of a farce to be honest. I fact, the simulator is appalling. Embarrassing.
  • Ride theming is overrated. As soon as the coaster departs the station, there is pretty much none. Look at Dragon Khan's theming. Please.
There is a reason the place costs a pittance for short break. It is simply nowhere near the overall product quality of what you will find in Germany or the Netherlands. If PA didn't have the sun and the beach nearby, few would give it the time of day.

The quality of the shows is strong, as is some of the area theming. But that is as far as it goes.

Last edited:
I'll tell you why I give the place stick.

• Poor operations. The park is a misery without some form of fastrack on all but the quietest days of the season
  • Staggered operations both on the day (rides opening 1 or 2 hours after opening, and some closing 1 or 2 hours before closing) and some attractions, such as Templo del Fuego, closed entirely for extended periods (like in winter, a lot of their closures are inexplicable given how busy the park seems to be)
  • An entertainments programme that does not run daily - you'll go on some days and shows will not be on
  • Poor food is endemic across the resort hotels. In fact, they will let you book restaurants only to tell you they're shut when you get there.
  • The rides, quite frankly aren't all that. In terms of coasters, you have the great (Shambhala), good (Khan or Red Force) or downright poor. There seems no middle ground (although Stampida is improving steadily)
  • Ferrari Land is a bit of a farce to be honest. I fact, the simulator is appalling. Embarrassing.
  • Ride theming is overrated. As soon as the coaster departs the station, there is pretty much none. Look at Dragon Khan's theming. Please.
There is a reason the place costs a pittance for short break. It is simply nowhere near the overall product quality of what you will find in Germany or the Netherlands. If PA didn't have the sun and the beach nearby, few would give it the time of day.

The quality of the shows is strong, as is some of the area theming. But that is as far as it goes.

I thought this would be fun to reply to. I'm not that bothered about PortAventura any more before the fanboy comments start appearing, but I thought I'd reply to this one

• I visited in August last year for 7 nights, the largest ride queue was 1:30hr, not abnormal for a Theme Park in the summer, I didn't need an Express pass at all.
  • The Park doesn't have staggered openings any more, the latest a ride will open is 30 mins after park opening. Certain attractions close early due to the Fireworks. Even so, PortAventura Park has the longest opening times in Europe, even with rides closing early, they're still open longer than any other park.
  • All shows run daily throughout the majority of the year, each show has one day a week when it is not performed for performers to have a day off, although I different show is normally performed in that theatre during these days.
  • Please show me another coaster the size of Dragon Khan and Shambhala that are fully themed the whole way around? They've been built over well maintained gardens and scenery, both with themed stations. Last time I noticed Silver Star is just built on top of a car park?
  • Ferrari Land is naff.
  • It'll cost you £700+ for 4 nights in the cheapest PortAventura hotels or in excess of £1,500 for Colorado Creek and more for 5*, it's hardly cheap and cheerful.
PortAventura gets a lot of stick and in some places rightly so, for example the service is absolutely shocking. But if people are going to pull it apart atleast make an effort to get some facts straight first.

Shambala would be impractical to fully theme, you could attempt a bit more with Khan but most parks wouldn’t. I never really had an issue with the parks theming other than when I went (a few years ago now) some of it was looking tired and dirty. The queues are depressing for me, they theme the outside of the cattle sheds but there isn’t much to look at as you wait a never ending amount of time.

I didn’t hate PA, I just didn’t love it. Operations where lacking and other than Shambala I didn’t enjoy the coasters (Not a fan of Dragon Khan). It also lacked “good” filler attractions other than temple.

I don't get the Dragon Khan not themed comment. It's a big coaster but themed well and also landscaped as mentioned above. The whole park is themed quite nicely. The only issues I have with the park are operations, they can be inconsistent and frustrating. And Ferrari Land.......it really should just be a land, not a park currently. Although looking long term they will add more I'm sure. I'm really not keen on the theme in regards to Ferrari Land either.

I don't get the Dragon Khan not themed comment. It's a big coaster but themed well and also landscaped as mentioned above. The whole park is themed quite nicely. The only issues I have with the park are operations, they can be inconsistent and frustrating. And Ferrari Land.......it really should just be a land, not a park currently. Although looking long term they will add more I'm sure. I'm really not keen on the theme in regards to Ferrari Land either.

With Khan you could have done more with landscaping and tunnels for greater interaction but as I said most parks wouldn’t.

I think PA’s biggest detractor by far is its service. The park has such amazing infrastructure, from its spectacular themeing, to great show venues, large scale rides and massive food service venues. Nearly every major issue it has us driven by its poor quality service; things like:

- terrible staff attitudes
- sloppy operations of rides and food service, which are built to be run much better
- surly food ordering and delivery

Every time we visit, we want to love the place because it’s just so well built (particularly the stuff up to the Universal era), but the staff just ruin it. You actually expect to be met with some particularly terrible service during your stay and it’s an awful feeling to have.

The biggest shame in this (despite opinions I have heard), is that it’s not representative of a Spanish attitude. It is a PA thing. If you’ve ever stayed in Mansion Lucy, then you’ll know that actually the service can be top notch. Unfortunately, it’s as though PA specifically station all their good staff at this one hotel.

They can get it right, but I can only conclude that they don’t want to.

This argument has been going on for years. I find it rather tedious now how many people jump on the bandwagon looking for any excuse to criticise the park for every tiny thing.

Yes the place does have its issues but, come on, the way some people on here talk about it, you’d think it was the ninth circle of hell.

It's called management. Likes of Disney, Universal, Europa and Liseberg etc don't pay park staff that much either yet they can offer great service 99% of the time. So why do merlin, six flags n Blackpool etc find it hard? They simply employ bad managers who can't manage people. Lazy basically. If there is no accountability for poor service that's what you get.

Six Flags staff are night and day in terms of how they used to be. Magic Mountain staff were great last time we were there.

I've never really seen the bad side of PA, certainly can't write a bulleted manifesto of why it sucks, anyway.

Only been to PA once and never want to go back :confused:

Only good thing I have to say about it is Shambhala is amazing and the sell really nice espresso

but visiting a park just for nice coffee and one coaster is a bit much

Only been to PA once and never want to go back :confused:

Only good thing I have to say about it is Shambhala is amazing and the sell really nice espresso

but visiting a park just for nice coffee and one coaster is a bit much
You're telling me you walked into that Park and didn't like one single thing other than one rollercoaster?

It's called management. Likes of Disney, Universal, Europa and Liseberg etc don't pay park staff that much either yet they can offer great service 99% of the time. So why do merlin, six flags n Blackpool etc find it hard? They simply employ bad managers who can't manage people. Lazy basically. If there is no accountability for poor service that's what you get.

Sorry, what’s this got to do with PA?