• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

PortAventura: General Discussion

I’m sure Port Aventura’s attendance would rise if Universal took over. It did last time. At the same time, I wouldn’t expect loads from the shows. At Universal Orlando they’ve got ride of Fear Factor Live and the Sinbad Stunt Show. It’s rumoured (possibly confirmed?) that Universal Hollywood is removing a couple of shows and replacing them with a Fast and Furious roller coaster. Aside from parades, shows don't seem to a big thing for Universal these days.

I wonder what route they would go down. There’s not tonnes of room for a brand new park, but they could likely incorporate at least some of their more popular IPs with ease. Polynesia could play host to Jurassic themed rides (looking at the huge Sea Odyssey building) and a new coaster, but I’m stumped what else could be brought in without a huge clash to the existing park.

If it did happen Ferrari land could easily be rethemed too in the much longer term. Not sure what the financial arrangement is but Universal could just use IP's they already own to save money. That would then help them create a Universal based second gate.

Mind you, there's a lovely plot of land in Kent that's in need of some love and attention...

In all seriousness though, based on recent Universal announcements I can see an announcement on expansion into Europe happening imminently. Considering Epic Universe, the Texas and the Vegas attractions are under construction/planning, I can't see them wanting to outlay a huge amount for something from the ground up - especially with previous efforts stalling (No idea what's happening with Beijing's expansion announced in 2021) or being cancelled.

With a previous 5/6 year relationship with Port Aventura, there's a good basis to start a serious effort to get a foothold into the European market. As @tayspru mentioned, it was just really bad timing that they had to leave in the first place, and probably would've returned sooner had it not been for the Comcast buyout and everything else going on with the parent company in the last decade or so.

Best finally get over there before it all changes I guess!

Could potentially see a new Potter Land being built if it happened.

764m people live in Europe so it's a huge market and I'm pretty confident Potter is popular in most of them.
I actually don’t see a Potter land coming to PA if the buyout happens. The Fantastic Beasts franchise is dead in the water, Universal have already scaled back their Potter expansions considerably at their existing parks - not only have they removed one of the rides from Epic Universe, the expansion of Diagon Alley onto the Fear Factor stage at USO is all but cancelled too.

Logistically there’s not a lot of space for a WWoHP in PA itself, and I can’t see them doing it as a stand-alone experience either. At best, they could probably manage a smaller area like Japans, so just have Hogwarts and a smaller Hogsmeade, but I’m not sure where this could go. The only spaces I can think of are replacing Angkor entirely, or scaling back Mexico considerably and removing El Diablo, Hacienda El Charro, and La Cantina.

If anyone is interested I’ll try and mock up some overlays of how the park could be adapted if anyone else has ideas for specific IPs / Areas

I actually don’t see a Potter land coming to PA if the buyout happens. The Fantastic Beasts franchise is dead in the water, Universal have already scaled back their Potter expansions considerably at their existing parks - not only have they removed one of the rides from Epic Universe, the expansion of Diagon Alley onto the Fear Factor stage at USO is all but cancelled too.

Logistically there’s not a lot of space for a WWoHP in PA itself, and I can’t see them doing it as a stand-alone experience either. At best, they could probably manage a smaller area like Japans, so just have Hogwarts and a smaller Hogsmeade, but I’m not sure where this could go. The only spaces I can think of are replacing Angkor entirely, or scaling back Mexico considerably and removing El Diablo, Hacienda El Charro, and La Cantina.

If anyone is interested I’ll try and mock up some overlays of how the park could be adapted if anyone else has ideas for specific IPs / Areas

Yeah but you can't scale back what you don't already have. If they thought having the only Potter verse in Europe would make them shed loads of cash they would do it without a second's hesitation and they would find room. It's a timeless brand unlike Fantastic Beats. I know they are from the same IP universe but they aren't in same universe popularity wise.

It's a lot of what ifs at this point anyway.

Yeah but you can't scale back what you don't already have. If they thought having the only Potter verse in Europe would make them shed loads of cash they would do it without a second's hesitation and they would find room. It's a timeless brand unlike Fantastic Beats. I know they are from the same IP universe but they aren't in same universe popularity wise.

It's a lot of what ifs at this point anyway.
In the name of "what if", and because we *STILL* don't have an opening date for Uncharted, I had a look on Maps, and - surprisingly - there's more space around Mexico than I thought.

If they want a European WWoHP (I still have reservations given behind the scenes clashes within Universal that are ongoing regarding the Author) they could pretty much drop in USO's version (Minus Hagrid's) with little problem. It would be a bit "shoehorned" given the main pathway would cross between Hogsmeade and Forbidden Journey, but for crowd flow, anyone entering from the China side would still go directly through Hogsmeade.

WWEurope.png

El Diablo and some smaller rides would be removed, and the railway would be rerouted. In Pink is where you could add a Hogsmeade station, but this would only be to service the existing train rather than a Hogwarts Express attraction.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Universal do acquire PA. And if they do, they aren't exactly strangers to rides in compact places, thanks to USH. Super Nintendo World is designed to cram in basically anywhere, and Polynesia has been crying out for a coaster akin to Velocicoaster or Flying Dinosaur.

It would certainly shake up the European industry. Many are coining Universal's expansion plans as the "Universal Decade" - lets not forget the "Disney Decade" brought us DLP

In the name of "what if", and because we *STILL* don't have an opening date for Uncharted, I had a look on Maps, and - surprisingly - there's more space around Mexico than I thought.

If they want a European WWoHP (I still have reservations given behind the scenes clashes within Universal that are ongoing regarding the Author) they could pretty much drop in USO's version (Minus Hagrid's) with little problem. It would be a bit "shoehorned" given the main pathway would cross between Hogsmeade and Forbidden Journey, but for crowd flow, anyone entering from the China side would still go directly through Hogsmeade.

WWEurope.png

El Diablo and some smaller rides would be removed, and the railway would be rerouted. In Pink is where you could add a Hogsmeade station, but this would only be to service the existing train rather than a Hogwarts Express attraction.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Universal do acquire PA. And if they do, they aren't exactly strangers to rides in compact places, thanks to USH. Super Nintendo World is designed to cram in basically anywhere, and Polynesia has been crying out for a coaster akin to Velocicoaster or Flying Dinosaur.

It would certainly shake up the European industry. Many are coining Universal's expansion plans as the "Universal Decade" - lets not forget the "Disney Decade" brought us DLP

They do have another park though which is a bit of a flop presently. Ferrari land could easily be re-themed if they wanted to go down that route.

They do have another park though which is a bit of a flop presently. Ferrari land could easily be re-themed if they wanted to go down that route.
I could see this eventually happening too, but Ferrari still let the original Ferrari World limp along so who knows ?

What they desperately need is a Citywalk style area for after the parks close, it looks like this is already starting with the sports bar (I think that’s open now?)

Ferrari Land could probably become Fast and Furious something-or-other with relative ease. Just spray paint the word FAMILY on the side of that dodgy knock-off of St. Mark's in Venice.

Actually makes a lot of sense that idea and far better IP for a Theme Park than Ferrari.

I could see this eventually happening too, but Ferrari still let the original Ferrari World limp along so who knows ?

What they desperately need is a Citywalk style area for after the parks close, it looks like this is already starting with the sports bar (I think that’s open now?)
The car park around the La Liga restaurant is ripe for this kind of thing. Currently it's very dead around there - plus there's no proper path to it from the hotels (barring walking the entire length of a car park).

Tear down everything from the PA/FL Entrance Plaza to the Railway Station in Greece.

Reroute paths so that Sessamo isn't a main route through.

Improve throughputs.

I know back when Disneyland Paris was being built that Universal actually eyed up a plot of land elsewhere near the city to compete with it before cancelling as the Mouse didn't get off to a great start in this part of the world. Then they planned it in Germany in the Rhine-Ruhr before stuff upstairs axed that too.

I think having a Universal park in Europe would be a great idea and I think having one in Paris is not as crazy as it sounds since like in Florida, there will be a good chunk of people who would do a holiday of going to both there and Disney. However I definitely agree that the most logical option is to buy PA and massively improve that park. Having been to all 3 I think PA is definitely inferior to DLP and Europa and Universal, in the long term at least, can fix it if they're willing to do so.

Side note but I always thought a Universal would work well in the UK too, at least in a popularity sense. Brits have an appetite for the brand and the country has a rich film history.

Just adding to this idea what if the path to Hogwarts actually went over the path between the Far West and Mexico. Creating a drawbridge style approach to the castle and keeping the area thematically consistent. Then maybe build an overflow ramp between the 2 paths so that the areas not a bottleneck during busy times, but its not immediately obvious a shortcut exists.

With that and your train station idea I could definitely see this area working well!

Just adding to this idea what if the path to Hogwarts actually went over the path between the Far West and Mexico. Creating a drawbridge style approach to the castle and keeping the area thematically consistent. Then maybe build an overflow ramp between the 2 paths so that the areas not a bottleneck during busy times, but its not immediately obvious a shortcut exists.

With that and your train station idea I could definitely see this area working well!
There’d be no space for Hogwarts itself without removing Hurakan Condor if you did that, I thought El Diablo was far more expendable than the tallest drop tower in Europe