• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Possible New Park Entrance?

Skyscraper

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Nemesis
I've heard that Alton Towers may be planning to build a new Park Entrance, either adding a secondary entrance for Hotel and Village guests, or demolishing the current entrance and building a new one in another part of the the park, like FV. What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I like the entrance where it is - it is facing the towers, it has shops and services already built and Towers Street is an iconic part of the park in which I cannot see them ever removing because it does it's job. In addition, FV does not have enough space, without the removal of some attractions for a new entrance with shops, etc...

However, with the news from the Roller Coaster Restaurant I am guessing they are going to provide easier access for hotel and village guests to access the park - I think I can see some sort of upgraded sub-entrance in which only hotel and village theme park tickets will be allowed entry and then the accommodation will give them some sort of access to pass to access things such as the new restaurant after the park has closed, etc...

This rumours been going for years.
One plan had it on the backstage entrance next to Airs lift hill.
Another plan had it to the side of Duel.

Given that Rollercoaster Restaurant is opening in the evenings to hotel guests I expect the gate next to Air to be open to allow those guests out and in so it would be nice to see it changed to a nice second exit.

Its more likely to be a second entrance, they still wouldn't be able to build anything tall or loud at the exisiting entrance due to the close proximity to housing

The ultimate plan is for the monorail to be axed, this will happen in future years and it would be a huge cost saving to show the shareholders. A new entrance is a must for this to be pulled off though.

The ultimate plan is for the monorail to be axed, this will happen in future years and it would be a huge cost saving to show the shareholders. A new entrance is a must for this to be pulled off though.

I'm not sure to be honest. I really can't imagine actually entering from Forbidden Valley as a day guest - imagine the amount of people concentrated in one area in which does not have that much space in terms of paths compared to the current entrance in which has very wide paths and a great view of the towers as you come in.

Personally, I can see the monorail system staying or some other system in which transports guests to Towers Street - maybe automatic monorails in which do not require drivers? :p

However, I do believe that they will introduce a sub-entrance for resort guests to access the park easily for ERT and the new restaurant, etc..

The monorail and Towers Street is all part of the build up to an awesome day! If you take away that, you take away the exciting walk (run) to the first ride of the day. I'd not be happy if they changed the entrance.

I'd prefer they redeveloped the Woodland Walk to be a more substantial ERT/hotel guest entrance, with easier access to the Air side of FV.

Keep the main entrance, if the staffing costs of the monorail are too high, either refit the trains for automatic operation or get new automatic trains and make sure people can see out of the windows properly. Really builds the suspense to see the park on the way in, an atmosphere that has been ruined since they plastered the windows in that mesh rubbish. And then, as Jordon says, upgrade the Woodland Walk entrances and pathways to give ERT / Rollercoaster Restaurant access.

I think a new theme park entrance has been wanted by some people at Towers for quite a long time and it is of course in the long term development plan. Ideally they probably do want to scrap the monorail.

I personally think that it would be a real pity to move the park entrance. Towers Street is far from perfect but it is iconic; the view of the Towers unfolding in front of you as you walk down. It is akin to Disney parks only more natural, losing it would be a travesty.

I would rather them spend a good sum of money on completely re-working Towers Street.

:)

Keep the main entrance, if the staffing costs of the monorail are too high, either refit the trains for automatic operation or get new automatic trains and make sure people can see out of the windows properly. Really builds the suspense to see the park on the way in, an atmosphere that has been ruined since they plastered the windows in that mesh rubbish. And then, as Jordon says, upgrade the Woodland Walk entrances and pathways to give ERT / Rollercoaster Restaurant access.

I wish they would get rid of those awful vinyls or at least cut out the window sections. Only a couple of the train designs are actually tasteful the rest just look plain nasty and they look very dated now eight years on.

I agree about the main entrance - also there is neither the room nor the will for major expenditure on the infrastructure to build a new one. A secondary resort entrance and exit for day guests has been on the cards for years and it is sorely needed however.

There's another good reason for keeping the entrance where it is, it creates a staggered exit of cars from the car parks. If you had an entrance feeding straight into the main car parks, you'd have traffic jams not long after closing time. The monorail and the differing speeds at which folk walk help to spread this.

The Long Term Development Plan (LTDP) did mention a new entry suggesting the space between Gloomy Wood & Forbidden Valley (next to the monorail sheds). I always assumed this was the plan for when the monorail packs up or becomes too expensive to run - and we all know it won't be replaced.
So hypothetically it would be closer to the car parks, plus I expect the closer field car parks would become proper car parks too.

But I just think its such an odd place to enter the park. You're really hemmed into one area of the park. Imagine an entire days guests on Fireworks pretty much cramming into Forbidden Valley - especially now its 2 rides down. UGH. NO.

Also there is a reason Towers Street works, and its certainly not the infrastructure or theming. Its that view.

How many parks would LOVE to have an original monument such as the Towers at the end of their entry, oh and not to mention the lake and grass areas. It is a stunning view.

To me I expect the eventual practical turn out will be when the 'entertainment' area links the hotels and park - oh hey Rollercoaster Restaurant - a new hotel guest entry point will be in FV. That would offer a really easy ERT option for those guests and means you get guests separated across the park on entry.

But thats sensible...

What would happen to towers street if the enterence was moved?

Two enterences would work though (similar to how LLW has a second enterence just for hotel guests), might make monorail queue shorter.

A secondary access point at FV or GW area would be useful. also the skyride stops at ride close or darkness, leaving a long walk down the TS then onto monorail or walk back to almost where you came from to get to your car.

They could use the second entrance for hotel guests and annual pass holders. For all guests it would be a nightmare. Unless we see a major entrance and street built on the Air car park.

The sad thing is when the monorail is gone, I cannot see any guests being happy enough to walk miles to go to the entrance. Towers will know this and I think this is where we'll see Towers Street no longer used, or guests pushed to go through the second entrance instead. Which is a shame given how well the current setup works, and that view of the Towers, it's just perfect as it is.

Could they not have some other form of transportation in place of the monorail? What about land trains, are they cost effective? I'm probably in la la land going there, since Merlin will not want to invest in a replacement, they will want the monorail gone, no money spent on a replacement, and a massive cost saving.

Towers would have to weigh up customer dissatisfaction due to the monorail loss. It may be worth them getting more energy efficient automatic monorail vehicles. that requires only 3 staff to operate the system.
One at each station and a systems operator that could be anywhere, (depot would be a logical spot)

http://www.bombardier.com/en/transportation/products-services/rail-vehicles/automated-monorails.html

Or automated people movers

http://www.bombardier.com/en/transp...ortation-systems/automated-people-movers.html

Last edited:
A Bombardier monorail system is surely in excess of £50m to £100m! I can't see that being an appealing business case.

take Drayton Manor for example- it has three entrances, the Main Entrance, for car users, Entrance 1 for Hotel guests and Taxi drop-offs/pick-ups, and Entrance 2 for coaches.