Post Deletion Changes

Discussion in 'Guest Services' started by Craig, 18th Apr 2021.

1. Craig

Craig TS Administrator Team Member

Hi all,

It's become apparent recently that there have been an increasing number of occasions where members have made a post in a topic, and then later returned to delete it even after others have responded to the points that've been made. This completely spoils the flow of the discussion, as later posts then seemingly look off topic. It's even more confusing if parts of the post are quoted in a reply, as even if the post is deleted, the quotes remain. This then results in a reader being unable to read back and refer to the whole post as it no longer exists.

We had enabled post deletion when we moved to the current forum software Xenforo on the basis that it would be used only to delete posts which were made in error (double posting, wrong topic etc), not to remove posts which others have already took the time to respond to.

As the feature has now been increasingly misused, we have taken the decision to remove access to it. Edit access is still enabled with the intention of allowing people to make minor changes to their post (SPG corrections for example). We do however reserve the right to impose a time limit on edit access in future if it is used to just outright remove a whole post, especially after others have taken time and effort to respond to it.

If anyone requires one of their own posts to be deleted in future, for example if it is posted in the wrong topic or a double post, then please hit the report option on the post you would like to be removed. A member of the team will then review and remove it if necessary.

Sam, D4n, Ian and 13 others like this.
    Posted 18th Apr 2021
  2. Matt.GC

Matt.GC TowersStreet Member

Please keep edit though! I use it alot to correct my appalling grasp of the English language

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Posted 18th Apr 2021
  3. Alsty

Alsty TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Shambhala
    Can't you just disable the delete feature after a reply has been made? Or is Xenforo not that flexible? :)

I have occasionally deleted a post when I realised I was chatting breeze, but it has always been within a minute of making it and before anybody replied.

Posted 18th Apr 2021
  4. OilyWater

OilyWater TowersStreet Member

I rely on edit a lot because I only write stream of conscious and then look back once posted realising I didnt explain something well enough or comes off wrong way. Just the way my head works annoyingly. Please dont remove the feature!

Dont usually edit once people replied though and I dont change the content.

Trooper and Matt.GC like this.
    Posted 18th Apr 2021
  5. rob666

rob666 TowersStreet Member

If I deleted all my posts where I am "chatting breeze", I wouldn't have any posts at all.

Posted 18th Apr 2021
  6. Craig

Craig TS Administrator Team Member

Unfortunately not I'm afraid! And please, please don't worry about the edit feature. We certainly won't be removing it, the only remote potential is placing a lengthy time limit on it, but I've not seen too many issues on that front.

If everyone could just use it sensibly for spelling corrections and minor edits (heck I use it loads) that'd be great :)

Skyscraper and rob666 like this.
    Posted 18th Apr 2021
  7. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    How about introducing a feature where we can delete other posts?

D4n, Matt.GC, Plastic Person and 3 others like this.
    Posted 18th Apr 2021
  8. Jonathan

Jonathan TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Helix <3
    The 'Ignore User' function may be helpful. ;)

Skyscraper and MattyH like this.
    Posted 18th Apr 2021
  9. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    Oh it is !

Posted 18th Apr 2021
  10. Funcone

Funcone TowersStreet Member

It feels like there ought to be some kind of compromise here. Can’t you set up a system called Post Roulette, where every day one random post gets deleted? Just to keep us on our toes.

Rick and MattyH like this.
  11. Rob

Rob TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    Resists the urge to delete this post! ;)

12. Skyscraper

Skyscraper TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Imagines the carnage if everyone on the forum had moderation powers