• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Potential New Universal UK Park

The FAQ on the website also got an update.

8. DOES THIS PROJECT REQUIRE PLANNING CONSENT?​

One route for securing the necessary planning approvals to move ahead with our investment is through planning permission granted directly by Government, via a special development order (SDO), where appropriate following consideration by a Secretary of State. The decision to determine whether this route is appropriate is evaluated on a case-by-case basis. The Secretary of State at the Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) has agreed to act as the sponsor for the project within Government. The Government has indicated that the consideration of any proposal will be subject to administrative arrangements to ensure functional separation between DCMS as sponsor Department and the Department for Levelling Up Housing and Communities (DLUHC) as planning decision-maker. It is anticipated that public consultation by DLUHC will be carried out prior to any planning decisions, should we decide to take the project forward.

Our planning submission would be accompanied by an Environmental Statement, which will be publicised and subject to consultation with statutory consultation bodies and the public. The Environmental Statement, together with any other information which is relevant to the decision, and any comments and representations made on it, must be taken into account in deciding whether or not to grant consent for any proposal.

However way they apply it will absolutely be decided by the government given that there’s major infrastructure projects involved. Imagine 83 year old Doris on the town council rubberstamping a motorway junction upgrade and new railway station

It's clear they've meticulously planned this down to the finest detail and have planned for eventualities. I would imagine a great deal of lobbying has already taken place, both government and main opposition (it's clear we'll have a different secretary of state for Levelling-up this time next year). Maybe the timing itself is genius? If the process is already in motion under the outgoing lot, the civil service will be well prepared and it will be in an advanced stage by the time a transition is made to a new administration. A new administration that will have a massive in-tray of other issues to crack on with in, and will inevitably claim this as their own success should it remain publicly popular.

The most intriguing parts of their plan are still to come for me. I want to see the numbers and what they propose to build.

It's clear they've meticulously planned this down to the finest detail and have planned for eventualities. I would imagine a great deal of lobbying has already taken place, both government and main opposition (it's clear we'll have a different secretary of state for Levelling-up this time next year). Maybe the timing itself is genius? If the process is already in motion under the outgoing lot, the civil service will be well prepared and it will be in an advanced stage by the time a transition is made to a new administration. A new administration that will have a massive in-tray of other issues to crack on with in, and will inevitably claim this as their own success should it remain publicly popular.

The most intriguing parts of their plan are still to come for me. I want to see the numbers and what they propose to build.

I believe a figure of £10 billion has been touted from those 'in the know' as the figure Universal are looking to invest in total. Now I have no idea if this is to cover two gates, just the Core Zone or involves any number of other things but it would certainly mean they aren't going to cut any corners. I believe Universal (and this is my own feeling not because of any rumour or facts) want to make this a Park on a level never seen before to give them a chance of putting DLP to the sword and also competing with the other highly themed Europe Parks.

Because let's be honest if they were only competing with the UK Parks they certainly wouldn't have to do much to make those Parks look inadequate in comparison. So I'm of the mind this is them wanting to build a Park that stands on the same level as IOA, EU and possibly even the best Disney Parks globally.

Avengers Endgame GIF

Does anyone know of any other examples of Universal getting those far down the planning process and deciding not to go ahead?

Universal Studios Dubailand was a proposed Universal Studios theme park in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. Originally planned to be built within Dubailand, a future entertainment mega-complex, the project broke ground in July 2008 but stalled a short time later...

Universal Studios Dubailand was a proposed Universal Studios theme park in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. Originally planned to be built within Dubailand, a future entertainment mega-complex, the project broke ground in July 2008 but stalled a short time later...
Probably looked at the low attendance of those other Dubai parks and thought better of it

That was more because it was a Dubai led venture than it was Universal getting cold-feet. That whole thing basically collapsed.

Had a few thoughts about what the worst possible theme/IP combination could be (while working within the confines of what we already know). Here's what i came up with, brace yourselves guys this won't be pretty.

Instead of a Hollywood Boulevard type main street they go with Oxford Street that leads into a central hub that copies Trafalgar Square.

For themed areas, we have no Potter, no LOTR, no Nintendo. Instead we get a BBC land with a Eastenders set recreation and a Dr. Who Webslingers clone. Jurassic Park/World is packaged in an area with Fn'F, Transformers and Kong. For the final area we get the British Movies area, with single ride/attractions to distinctly British movies but nothing groundbreaking - but definitely expect a Dark Ride through Islington based around Five Weddings and a Funeral.

The finale in this piece de resistance of shittery? The signature ride is a copy of the London Eye only smaller.

*edit* I forgot about the British Landmarks area, which is basically all the hits of London, only smaller and with more screen-based dark rides.

Last edited:
Had a few thoughts about what the worst possible theme/IP combination could be (while working within the confines of what we already know). Here's what i came up with, brace yourselves guys this won't be pretty.

Instead of a Hollywood Boulevard type main street they go with Oxford Street that leads into a central hub that copies Trafalgar Square.

For themed areas, we have no Potter, no LOTR, no Nintendo. Instead we get a BBC land with a Eastenders set recreation and a Dr. Who Webslingers clone. Jurassic Park/World is packaged in an area with Fn'F, Transformers and Kong. For the final area we get the British Movies area, with single ride/attractions to distinctly British movies but nothing groundbreaking - but definitely expect a Dark Ride through Islington based around Five Weddings and a Funeral.

The finale in this piece de resistance of shittery? The signature ride is a copy of the London Eye only smaller.

*edit* I forgot about the British Landmarks area, which is basically all the hits of London, only smaller and with more screen-based dark rides.
Looking forward to that Pat Butcher themed hyper coaster...

I doubt it will end up being a London pastish but there will certainly be bits in here & there. For example I fully expect some sort of Sky Spots bar in the boulevard area.

I would expect at least one unique IP as a draw and I sincerely hope it's Middle Earth. People go to Universal for big IPs and the themed experience not for a copy of London a mile down the road.

Very few IPs work well as themed areas so they are limited on what they can and would use. Kinda hope they swerve Dr Who in general

Looking forward to that Pat Butcher themed hyper coaster...

I doubt it will end up being a London pastish but there will certainly be bits in here & there. For example I fully expect some sort of Sky Spots bar in the boulevard area.

I would expect at least one unique IP as a draw and I sincerely hope it's Middle Earth. People go to Universal for big IPs and the themed experience not for a copy of London a mile down the road.

Very few IPs work well as themed areas so they are limited on what they can and would use. Kinda hope they swerve Dr Who in general

That'll be placed in the Citywalk area, which I expect most of the British themed shops and restaurants will be located. I sincerely doubt that Universal will go hard on actual British themed rides/attractions in the Park that aren't paired with an IP that transcends it's Britishness e.g Potter, Paddington and Bond (but only a Bond stuntacular).

None of the other Universal parks have localised elements do they? Can't really see them doing anything like that (excluding British film/tv franchises) when the majority of the visitors are going to be from the UK anyway, would seem a bit silly and tacky.

It was basically a worst case scenario that I came up with. I don't actually believe Universal would do something so shortsighted and stupid. Was just a fun little thing to amuse myself and hopefully you guys too. Be thankful I didn't try to make AI Art of this potential Worst Park Ever :p.

Last edited:

I heard that the name of this place is going to be ‘Farage’s Wonderland’.