• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[202X] Project Horizon (SW9?): Planning Approved

Haunted House and Runaway mine Train in 92 probably.
Nemesis and Toyland Tours in 94 is probably their highest spending in a year when adjusted for inflation
True about the former, can't believe i forgot about that, however even though 1994 was the highest amount spent, I'd say 1992 was more bigger as not only it meant the opening of two new rides but two new areas...you won't get something like that again unless this project Horizon meant not only a new ride and area in Coaster Corner but also a total retheme of TWODW no matter how unlikely the latter is given how new TWODW is.

More recently, they also did Sub-Terra and Ice Age 4D in 2012, as well as Cloud Cuckoo Land and Sharkbait Reef in 2009 and CATCF and Peugeot Driving School in 2006.

More recently, they also did Sub-Terra and Ice Age 4D in 2012, as well as Cloud Cuckoo Land and Sharkbait Reef in 2009 and CATCF and Peugeot Driving School in 2006.
I'm not sure those examples quite fit the same bill, though, as they are all fairly low budget attractions. I think the question was more aimed at large budget additions that would be comparable to the Nemesis retrack occurring in the same year as Horizon.

I am more and more convinced this is a sunken Intermin whatever they are calling their topspiny towey flying theatre.

It could literally be anything all we have is the building size and the fact they are not digging down. Not sure how we can be convinced on anything at this stage there are 100's of possibilities.
They are not digging down? Ah missed that one.

What can I say, I am a gambling man 😅

I am more and more convinced this is a sunken Intermin whatever they are calling their topspiny towey flying theatre.
Are you on about the Motion Tower? If so, I think Towers would need to go for a shorter version; Intamin's stock model is 29m, while the Project Horizon building is to be only 20m high with a hipped roof, so the ride would need shortening to fit in.

It's not impossible, of course, but it would have to be a shorter version of the ride type to fit properly.

Are you on about the Motion Tower? If so, I think Towers would need to go for a shorter version; Intamin's stock model is 29m, while the Project Horizon building is to be only 20m high with a hipped roof, so the ride would need shortening to fit in.

It's not impossible, of course, but it would have to be a shorter version of the ride type to fit properly.
I was assuming they would dig down but apparently that isn't happening so ignore me and my fantasy.

I was assuming they would dig down but apparently that isn't happening so ignore me and my fantasy.
They could well go for a smaller version; Intamin are a very flexible company, so that isn't out of the realms of possibility!

Regarding the motion tower being “too tall” it’s looking incredibly likely that Efteling are using that ride system for their Spookslot replacement, and that building is also going to be shorter than the stock Intamin model - at a building height of 20m

The building height isn’t basis to rule one out for Towers

Regarding the motion tower being “too tall” it’s looking incredibly likely that Efteling are using that ride system for their Spookslot replacement, and that building is also going to be shorter than the stock Intamin model - at a building height of 20m

The building height isn’t basis to rule one out for Towers
I thought that was rumoured to be an Ultra Tower?

They appear to be family and thrill versions of the same core concept ? Certainly though any attraction of that nature could be adapted to a particular height as requested, I have no doubts. I do think Horizon suggests something to do with flying or travel though, so some kind of simulator, whether it’s this or a take on a flying theatre, would be my bet

As much as I want to think it would be a flying theatre, the large land area this building seems to cover would be double than what is needed for it providing that flying theatres have fairly small footprints if you ignore the building itself.

If the building was only half the size in terms of width from those plans then I'd definitely say a flying theatre though honestly I'm not so sure, though I'd like to be proven wrong. Why they'd go for the trouble of making a large building just for that unless it was to have a restaurant or something built within it.

As much as I want to think it would be a flying theatre, the large land area this building seems to cover would be double than what is needed for it providing that flying theatres have fairly small footprints if you ignore the building itself.

If the building was only half the size in terms of width from those plans then I'd definitely say a flying theatre though honestly I'm not so sure, though I'd like to be proven wrong. Why they'd go for the trouble of making a large building just for that unless it was to have a restaurant or something built within it.
Or two theatres for capacity?

I think the building is too large even for 2 flying theatres. They are deceptively compact rides in terms of ground space; Sky Lion takes up an area of less than 1,000 square metres (and that possibly even includes its queue line), so even a 2 theatre flying theatre probably wouldn't take up any more than 2,000 square metres or so. This ride is at very least 3,200m2 in ride area alone, and the ride area could be up to 4,000m2. That seems way too big for a flying theatre to me, even 2 of them.

The building is also possibly too tall for a flying theatre; Sky Lion's building is only 13m, while this ride's building will be up to 20m. Admittedly, the hipped roof could cancel that difference out dependent on how hipped it is... but at the same time, why would you build a building 7m higher than you needed it to be with a hipped roof for the sake of it? Surely if it was a flying theatre, a 13m flat roofed building like Sky Lion has would have sufficed and likely gotten through planning easier?

It absolutely could be a flying theatre, but I'm not personally convinced it will be based on the evidence I currently have before me.

My money is still on an indoor family coaster, personally, but I'm open to surprises!

I think the building is too large even for 2 flying theatres. They are deceptively compact rides in terms of ground space; Sky Lion takes up an area of less than 1,000 square metres (and that possibly even includes its queue line), so even a 2 theatre flying theatre probably wouldn't take up any more than 2,000 square metres or so. This ride is at very least 3,200m2 in ride area alone, and the ride area could be up to 4,000m2. That seems way too big for a flying theatre to me, even 2 of them.

The building is also possibly too tall for a flying theatre; Sky Lion's building is only 13m, while this ride's building will be up to 20m. Admittedly, the hipped roof could cancel that difference out dependent on how hipped it is... but at the same time, why would you build a building 7m higher than you needed it to be with a hipped roof for the sake of it? Surely if it was a flying theatre, a 13m flat roofed building like Sky Lion has would have sufficed and likely gotten through planning easier?

It absolutely could be a flying theatre, but I'm not personally convinced it will be based on the evidence I currently have before me.

My money is still on an indoor family coaster, personally, but I'm open to surprises!
Yeah I still think It'll be a family coaster, and I'm still hoping for a Mack suspended powered coaster. 🙂

They are rebuilding "Cine 2000" (possibly)
...and Black Hole. Are Alton Towers about to enter the nostalgia baiting market like what many have done? Because I'd be first in line to buy merchandise of the return of Black Hole, actually I have a retro shirt of Black Hole that I have proudly in my collection. :p