• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.
Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: Quick Questions 2013

Well, geeks, I have a few questions for you following a recent visit that I have to inquire about, and my friends have asked me to seek answers for some too;

1). How many trains does Air actually have?

2). How many trains does Th13teen actually have?

3). I took my glasses off for Th13teen, rendering me blind. What happens after the freefall drop, as I could make out an eerie green glow at the front of the train?

4). Does Ripsaw run different cycles on a regular basis? We seemed to notice a considerable change in the ride just one day after our initial ride.

5). Has the Rita launch audio been the same since 2010's retheme, or has it changed? It seems to launch after a different cue now. It took me by surprise.

6). How many dinghies can the rapids run at once, and what is the estimated throughput? It was totally munching queues last week.

7). What did Sharkbait Reef used to be? It seemed to occupy an awful lot of space.

8). What is the technical name of the second inversion? There has been dispute within my group.

9). Whereabouts is Swiss Cottage? We took a massive detour to hunt for it but were fruitless in our search.

10). The lake near Duel is beautiful. Has it ever been utilized as a boating lake, or something?

11). Sonic Spinball had a colossal queue when we visited, does it have a poor throughput or was this a one-off?

12). What's the most expensive restaurant on park?

Thanks in advance! I know geeks love answering questions anyway, so happy answer retrieving I guess. :p

1) Three
2) Three
3) Nothing, a wrath lights up green infront of you and you go backwards
4) It can do, I believe it has 10 diff cycles but only about 4 are used
5) Same I believe
6) dunno
7) There used to be a 3D cinema there
8) on what ride?
9) head up to hex, before going through the gate entrance , turn left at the front of the towers by the shop, follow the path, its down there
10) nope
11) it has poor throughput
12) I believe its the one up by Rita but cant remember its name....

GaryH said:
12) I believe its the one up by Rita but cant remember its name....

Woodcutters. But the prices aren't bad. Unless you want a cup o' tea.

8). Could be a Zero-G roll (Nemesis) or a Corkscrew (The Smiler)

Pizza pasta is £9.75 this season, so is technically the most expensive, but that is a buffet and includes drinks.

I meant The Smiler, but many, many thanks for those hasty replies! You see, we never even considered corkscrew. :p

Re: Th13teen... It's glasses safe. As in, I ride it wearing glasses :)

And to correct myself, I mean third, as I'd forgotten the barrel roll. Yeah, Scott, I realised after riding, but it was actually my first ever go and it seemed better to be safe than sorry! :)

Why does Squirrel Nutty so overwhelmingly get referred to incorrectly as 'Squirrel Nutkin'?

Is there a character at the park of this name or Is there some popular kids character from TV or something?

It baffles me.

Squirrel Nutkin was a red squirrel character created by Beatrix Potter. It was part of the line of Peter Rabbit stories, and as we know Towers was once home to the Peter Rabbit Ice Show. It could be dregs of that which sparked the connection, or it could be just the fact the names are similar and the character is a red squirrel too in this case :)

Harvey. said:
6). How many dinghies can the rapids run at once, and what is the estimated throughput? It was totally munching queues last week.

I think it can run about 35 boats maximum (how many it actually runs I do not know). Throughput is around 1,800 per hour. It's excellent at getting through the queues.

There tends to be one on the side by the crane, and on most days there'll be another 1 or 2 tied up at the top at the air line on the turntable. I'm guessing it can run every boat it has at once, as any waiting at the bottom of the lift will just sit in th bottom pool waiting for space to move in :)

Harvey. said:
And to correct myself, I mean third, as I'd forgotten the barrel roll. Yeah, Scott, I realised after riding, but it was actually my first ever go and it seemed better to be safe than sorry! :)

A Dive loop then.

Geek question: Rapids was running on only three pumps today with water flooding down the fourth, never noticed it before. Is it something that's been 'the norm' for a while?

No it's not normal but it was fine on Sunday as far as I can remeber, I would say the pumps moter has packed in

I've never seen the rapids running all 4 pumps. The one switched off varies, but it seems the ride is designed to run 3 with the 4th "spare" - all Intamin rapids rides run 3 pumps out of 4 as far as I know.

I'm assuming if they did run 4, then it would be a faster ride? that could be quite fun... 'Fat Boat' wouldn't work though :(

Virtually all Intamin River Rapids have 4 screw pumps, but most will only run 3, as the fourth isn't really necessary for normal operation, and just wastes power. I've never seen Towers using all 4 pumps in one go, but I would imagine it's the same as when kayaking on a river; the more water the smaller the rapids become, as there's more depth between the surface and the object making the feature (Logs in the case of most rapids rides) :)

Drayton, Holiday Park, and Thorpe also only ever seem to run 3. I should think the fourth is a backup so that if one dies they can change the flow to the other and continue running.

The pump that isn't usually used on Towers' is apparently know as Thunder Pump, because apparently it rummbles and makes the turntable shake when it's on :p

smudge said:
I'm assuming if they did run 4, then it would be a faster ride? that could be quite fun... 'Fat Boat' wouldn't work though :(

My water moving physics is shoddy but the slope of the trough is unchanged so I wouldn't guess there would be a huge change in speed. Though I could be wrong

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.