• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Rainbow Laces Campaign

Rainbow Laces Campaign- Good or bad idea?

• I don't know I'm hungry

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Bad idea, simply invites ridicule disguised as "banter"

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Bad idea, trivialises wider issues

• Great idea but poorly thought out

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Great idea, the laces/terminology is light hearted.

• Total voters

TheMan

TS Member
Favourite Ride
NemiLerVion
OK, I am interested to get the views of the community as to the "Rainbow Laces Campaign".

For those unaware, it is an initiative launched by Stonewall, to encourage professional league footballers to don rainbow coloured laces in their boots. It is done independently of any present initiatives, and without consultation of any of the professional bodies. There has been varying degrees of take up, and quite a bit of controversy, particularly given the strapline:

"Right Behind Gay Footballers"

Is the idea of sending out that message, and also that of wearing "Rainbow Laces" particularly helpful in actually removing stereotypes or combating homophobia in the game itself?

Personally, in that environment, I sincerely doubt it! To me, all they need to do is make YMCA the theme for all the players to walk out to.

I saw plenty of good natured chat surrounding The Smiler's rainbow staircase. Taking this into football, in this way, I only feel adds to stereotypical views. This after all, is about stamping out homophobia. It is about raising an extremely important issue within football, which seems in general (racism, homophobia etc) to lag behind many other sports or aspects of society at times.

The issue isn't those who would see rainbow laces, and the strap line, and see the intention of such - we already understand the issues, the problem is stamping out homophobia.

Rainbow laces, and camp innuendo phrases, in this environment I just find quite stupid.

Can you imagine doing the same thing for the race issue? I am not even going there.

BBC Article

I am though, as always, keen to hear the generally exceptionally intelligent responses of this great community.

(No, honestly, I mean it ;))

;D

Well meaning but misguided.

Having Paddy Power involved is a bad move, it turns a serious issue into a PR stunt for a bookmaker. A pretty loathsome one at that. They're big on the whole #LAD #EPL #BANTER thing, leading to unhelpful slogans like "Right behind gay footballers". It's also a PR stunt for the teams and players "ooh, look how progressive we are". And what about players that don't take part? They'll likely all be painted as homophobes.

I guess it's a nice idea and obviously I fully support the cause of removing homophobia from football, but I'm wary of this, maybe if Paddy Power weren't involved, and the players had to go to Stonewall, and not the other way around, it may have been a better idea.

I'm not happy with Paddy Power being the bookmakers used in the campaign, but it doesn't surprise me to see Sonewall side with them.

Earlier this year, Paddy Power got in trouble for running some pretty transphobic adverts. This is something quite recent, yet Sonewall are more than happy to ignore bigotry towards trans people so long as they get publicity.

It annoys the hell out of me that Sonewall get the majority of LGBT charity funding, despite openly excluding trans people. It annoys me even more that they refuse to even be an ally to a group of people who are essentially in the same minority circle (that of gender and sexual minorities).

If Sonewall had chosen to side with another bookmakers, then maybe I'd support it as I'm all for LGB rights. But they've chosen one whose recently been accused of transphobia, and that's unacceptable.

Well, Ashlee has said most of my thoughts on it.

Paddy power! Stonewall you dropped a bow lock!!

AshleeKel said:
It annoys the hell out of me that Sonewall get the majority of LGBT charity funding, despite openly excluding trans people.

I had no idea about this Ashlee. I am now absolutely against it. Obviously you are passionate and knowledgeable on this subject and I have no reason to doubt the legitimacy of your points.

Not involving the professional associations, siding with a company with questionable attitudes (I am not familiar with this, but mentioned here multiple times), using innuendo publicity grabbing slogans, and stereotypes.

To me this appears to be a publicity stunt, and rather than achieving anything (let's face it, who doesn't know about this issue already?), this may actually damage credibility?

I would have thought myself, the best thing to do with issues of this nature, is not to sensationalise them, but surely to ground the issues so they are less of a big deal. To "normalise" it, this almost creates a further cultural divide in my mind.

Gay footballers, a bunch of mincing, rainbow laced wearing people.

Yeah, great idea that one. The more I think about it, the more ridiculous it gets.

We had a footballer on The Clare Balding Show last night. Can't remember his name, but he was a Scouser who spent his entire interview talking about how many times he has been arrested for beating people up, and his time in prison (we even skipped an ad break because the interview was so "gripping"!) Sounded like a real nasty piece of work. But he was wearing rainbow laces, and even brought a few pairs to give to Clare and the other guests.

This seemed to totally redeem him in the eyes of the audience.

DiogoJ42 said:
But he was wearing rainbow laces, and even brought a few pairs to give to Clare and the other guests.

I'll be honest with you here mate, I am not sure I get the point you are making? Is it adding to the superficial tone overall do you think? Or more about a greater degree of support for the campaign. Or none of the above, and I am a dozy arse?

Also, you must be walking lighter now after dropping all those names ;)

;D

DiogoJ42 said:
We had a footballer on The Clare Balding Show last night. Can't remember his name, but he was a Scouser who spent his entire interview talking about how many times he has been arrested for beating people up, and his time in prison (we even skipped an ad break because the interview was so "gripping"!) Sounded like a real nasty piece of work. But he was wearing rainbow laces, and even brought a few pairs to give to Clare and the other guests.

Joey Barton presumably. Nothing should be able to redeem him.

Sounds like that footballer thinks he can earn a few brownie points with fans and the general public just by wearing some rainbow laces that, unless you are genuinely supportive of the cause, are just multicoloured shoelaces.

It infuriates me when folk jump on a bandwagon just because "everyone else is doing it" or because "it seems like a good thing".

How about believing in it!

As for Paddy Power and their warped views, I'm genuinely surprised nothing else has come of the revelations.

Sent using Tapatalk

Wasn't really trying to make any point. It was just rather amusing how the mood of the audience shifted from "this guy is scum", to "oh, but at least he's not homophibic, so that's OK". (Sports fans can be so fickle).

As for the campaign itself, I see no problem with it. Anything that tries to encourage acceptance of gay people in what is usually a macho environment can only be a good thing.

On a side note, on Wednesday we were doing a rugby show. I ran to the loo five minutes before we went on air, to find it filled with about ten rugby players... two of which were sharing a cubicle. Make of that what you will. :p

Going slightly off topic, but should people not be given the benefit of the doubt, he has served his time, and now trying to do something positive with the influence he has. It might be just for show, but who knows, he might of turned his life around?

Back on topic, the campaign in theory is great, but why get someone to sponsor it, and if you are going to get someone to sponsor it, at least get someone a bit more appropriate. But maybe this is there attempt to put right, what they did wrong, but they could of left the branding off the laces.

I also think it could of been better organised, just sending out laces to the clubs training grounds without any discussion is always going to lead to issues that can not be resolved in a few days time.

So a great idea, just poorly executed.

Ian

I don't know, I just don't like the stereotypes. It is exceptionally camp. Now whilst I have absolutely zero problem with this, I feel it simply adds to a stereotype rather than moving away from it.

A close member of my family is gay, I am camper than he is, in fact he is a let down (joking obviously)! He cannot abide that stereotype. If I suggested to him, that he wear a rainbow tie to work backed by a cheesy slogan for gay rights, he would probably deck me one!

A more extreme example to me, would be tackling racism in the early days, by having footballers run on the field wearing afro wigs!

Apartheid was not removed by stupid slogans/stunts, racism in football has credibility and a serious tone, I just don't understand why a prolific gay rights organisation would approach it in this manner.

Those whose opinions you are trying to change, those with homophobic views, are not going to respond to multi-coloured laces and dodgy slogans/sponsors. The majority rest of us already know and support the cause where we can.

I don't see how camping it up helps one bit.

I find it astonishing, and quite sad, that gay footballers are still almost locked in the closet! I cannot see how this will encourage them forward.

(PS, Who is hungry lol?)

DiogoJ42 said:
Wasn't really trying to make any point. It was just rather amusing how the mood of the audience shifted from "this guy is scum", to "oh, but at least he's not homophibic, so that's OK". (Sports fans can be so fickle).

As for the campaign itself, I see no problem with it. Anything that tries to encourage acceptance of gay people in what is usually a macho environment can only be a good thing.

On a side note, on Wednesday we were doing a rugby show. I ran to the loo five minutes before we went on air, to find it filled with about ten rugby players... two of which were sharing a cubicle. Make of that what you will. :p

The funny thing is, just over a year ago, said footballer was knocked out outside Liverpool's biggest gay nightclub. Can't help but feel his involvement is his way of saying "I don't hate you really!"

Sazzle said:
Sounds like that footballer thinks he can earn a few brownie points with fans and the general public just by wearing some rainbow laces that, unless you are genuinely supportive of the cause, are just multicoloured shoelaces.

It infuriates me when folk jump on a bandwagon just because "everyone else is doing it" or because "it seems like a good thing".

To be fair to Joey Barton, presuming that is who we're talking about, he does have a violent past but despite being a bit of a pseud, is relatively intelligent and grew up with a gay Uncle almost as a father. He's campaigned against homophobia in football many times previously.

I think that's my cue to leave this conversation. I'm clearly in over my head, in a world I actually know nothing about. :p

As you were chaps.