• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Recorded Toilet Conversations?

Joban

TS Member
Hi guys,

This has bothered (well, not bothered, more I think about it time to time) me for years now.

Allow me to take you back about 9 years ago. I was in the toilets to the right of the entrance, on Towers Street and by Guest Services. I was in there a while as my clothes were drenched through (guess why) and trying to dry off slightly before a 4 hour car journey.

When I was in the cubicle, I could hear people coming and going, having general toilet conversations. I remember a woman's voice saying "Trace, have you got any mascara?", and a couple of children laughing about how soaked they'd gotten on a ride (a predicament to which I could relate).

However, as I came out of the cubicle I realised there were nowhere near enough people to have been making the level of inane chatter I could hear. This freaked me out (I am of a nervous disposition), and I listened closely. I noticed that the voices began to loop! 'Trace' was asked for mascara, again, and the same sounds of children played.

At the time I figured it was a pre-recorded message, and laughed about that. However, it's been so long that I'm not sure if I'm remembering this rightly, and ever since then, on my visits, I have heard no pre-recordings in any of the bathrooms. I also can't find anything about anyone doing it on the internet. I've heard 'ambient' toilet recordings before (i.e. spooky soundtracks), but faking a group of toilet-goers seems a bit weird.

So, does anyone else remember/know about this?

I think it was in 2006/2007 Alton Towers spruced up the Towers Street toilets and they were renamed "Extraordinary Toilets". You would find sound effects in the male and female loos. Usually of people talking and people making noises. I remember vividly one being a man squeezing out a you know what and then humming 'In the Hall of the Mountain King'.

The sound effects didn't last long, the minute speakers began to break that was pretty much the end of it. It was an interesting (if strange) idea at the time but never extended beyond that.

IIRC, the toilets in Mutiny Bay still play the recorded voices from the pirates. Then there's the toilets in ATH and there's also some rather unique and superb toilets in the Gardens that are a must do for any guest!

The title of this thread is misleading. I was expecting some grand conspiracy where Google were putting monitoring devices in toilets in order to build a profile of your pooping habits and target the correct bog roll adverts at you.

The title of this thread is misleading. I was expecting some grand conspiracy where Google were putting monitoring devices in toilets in order to build a profile of your pooping habits and target the correct bog roll adverts at you.
To be honest, I thought it was AT stalking everyone in the toilets!

Don't give them ideas!
I won't! Anyway, suppose we'd better get back on-topic before t'ban stick is whipped out.

It is rather odd that they had this in the loos. Most bizarre. It doesn't seem very "magical" which I assume the aim was, just a bit disturbing!

I think it was just a late Tussauds-under-DIC idea that sounded good on paper but in reality you would rather forget it ever happened. :p

Bit like Dung Heap and Haunted Hollow really. :p

Not sure the Dung Heap ever even sounded good on paper. Just the name alone..surely?

I'm fairly sure the toilets at the top of Towers Street still had fart sounds in them last season, or at least the season before?

Ahhh the good old Extraordinary Loos! They still work sometimes, my favorite was when you lifted the toilet lid and it would say the iconic "Don't Look Down!"

I'm fairly sure the toilets at the top of Towers Street still had fart sounds in them last season, or at least the season before?

Yeah I recall them, fond memories of me and Dad always spending far too long laughing about them. :p

Hey, I'm not crazy!
IIRC, the toilets in Mutiny Bay still play the recorded voices from the pirates. Then there's the toilets in ATH and there's also some rather unique and superb toilets in the Gardens that are a must do for any guest!
I'm back in 12 days and staying in ATH so I'm going to check out all of this. (P.S. Danny I love the quote in your banner).

It is pretty odd but I have fond memories of it, if vague. Reading all of your replies I remember more of it now; I think I remembering the 'man's farting sounds' but that would be weird considering I was in the women's'?

I consider this possible confusion when devising the title, but because I had such a vague memory I couldn't think of anything better. If I could turn back time, it would almost definitely be called Extraordinary Toilets.

Edit: I spelled 'odd' like 'add'. Like add idiot.

Jesus wept this all sounds very odd. To hear random children laughing is always spooky in its self, but the hear these whilst in your glory in an empty toilet. Just be glad there is paper nearby.

However that's a very good idea. Surely having a pirate ask you "Have ye got the map" in the cubical would be very good aswell.