• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Recycling Bins, or the lack thereof

Wonderbolt

TS Member
Alton towers have lots of bins around the park (which is good) but one thing I have noticed is they have no recycling bins for plastic bottles, paper, card and the like. Which I think seems quite bad for such a park in the UK which sells so many food and drinks containers that could be recycled and has athe Sealife part (which could be used to encourage damage done from plastic bottle in the sea etc). Surely such environmental responsibility would look good on Merlin's part.

Do you think the park should provide more recycling bins as well as general waste bins (London Zoo for example do this really well) or would it not be worth it as park users would not bother to separate rubbish or just be added expense?

A good few years back they did add some recycling bins, there was certainly a set head Air and also one on to path from Spinball to X-Sector. But all these have gone now.

The bins in CBeebies land have (or had?) a fact on them saying they recycling all there rubbish. No idea how true it is but there is a lot of rubbish and stuff behind CCL that looks like it's sorted in to paper, plastic etc. So maybe Alton towers sort their own rubbish out to be recycled?

I know Thorpe still has one set of recycling bins near the Rapids but that's it there as well.

I have not been to CBeebies land so I don't know if the information was still there last time I went.
Maybe they do sort the recycling out themselves (or maybe they are telling porkies lol), It just seems like it would be more sense to have park users put the rubbish into the correct recycling bin in the first place rather than the general waste bins and someone have the horrendously unpleasant task of sorting through the smelly rubbish afterwards.

A lot of big companies post sort their bins as they know guests don’t really care about putting rubbish in the correct bin so they have to be sorted anyway.

Most rubbish that can be recycled is ruined by being soiled by fatty/greasy food. This usually contaminate the rest of the recyclable rubbish, so usually have to end up in the landfill site anyway.

Take most fast food packaging, all are recyclable until they put the actual food inside them, then they are no longer recyclable.

I'm pretty sure that once the seperated rubbish and recycling is handed over to the local council... it all just gets shipped to the same landfill in India.

We should be burning the bloody lot to feed power stations. Correct me if I’m wrong but I’m sure there is such a station next to the stoke city stadium?

I find it very hard to believe that the ammount of waste a site like Towers must produce can be 100% recyclable.

Could this be a case of,
"We can honestly say we don't send anything to a landfill... We just leave the bin bags on the curb and they magically dissapear!"

Last edited:
Even if Alton do post sort all waste, it does surprise me that there isn’t anything visible on park promoting recycling anymore. I feel bad throwing away a plastic coke bottle for example. In fact, given that Coke themselves do a lot to promote recycling, and they are a partner, it surprises me that there isn’t some visible promotion on park to this effect.

It is a small thing but it does register.

Fairly sure nearly every bin in sealife London had a sign saying "don't worry, we'll sort it and recycle it for you".

Worth advertising if it's true, as I imagine that takes a fair bit of effort.

According to a google search Browns Recycling manage the waste from the Resort, their website states:

‘We aim for “zero to landfill”, and this is a firm target that we believe we can meet. We have skips of all sizes, as well as wheelie bins and containers from 240 litre wheelie bins to 40-cubic-yard roll-on roll offs, so you’re covered for whatever kind of waste materials you need to dispose of.’

There is also a testimonial from Towers:

https://www.brownrecycling.co.uk/testimonials/

Ps - what an exciting post this is, and it’s not even closed season.

It is not an issue that Alton don't shout from the rooftops that they recycle. 10 years ago maybe. Now, in 2018. It is expected for companies to do it.

First time ever...outworded Diogo!
Beerbottle designed like a brick.
Don't do links, but Heineken wobo searches ok.
Part of my official studies many moons ago.
Use beer drinkers to solve the housing crisis.
Sadly, it didn't catch on...shame really.