• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Review the last roller coaster you rode

Tornado at Bakken.

Had my first visits to both Tivoli Gardens and Bakken and of course Tornado was the most interesting cred. I’ve been fascinated by this one since I first saw the reactions to it of riders in vlogs and heard of how this “insane” spinning coaster had a legendary Boost mode. I’d also heard about its super fast lift hill, crazy first drop, and the vicious restraints. And you know what, it’s true. All of it.

0fc397e680e2a56f16bed13662d609c7.jpg

It’s hard to describe the ride experience in words because truth be told it’s all but of a blur. You’ve seen the videos and you think you know what to expect but the sheer sensation of what happens takes your breath away. After going up the rapid lift hill you feel as though you are being flung *violently* in to the modest drop and and the ride seems to want to remove your head from your shoulders. It’s not actually a launched but it sure feels similar to one, it really is as insane as they say it is. The restraints are awful on your shoulders and it almost becomes a test to see if you can keep your soft neck away from the razor like hard straps inches away from it as you bobble around the track. There’s a brief respite of a second or two in the middle of the run where you are just spinning before violently dropping down in to the second half of the ride. And when you come in to the break run the experience isn’t quite over as with four in the car you’ll carry on spinning and spinning for what seems like ages.

It’s hard to know what to make of it because it’s such a full-on balls to the wall experience but you feel as though you are battling against not only the sheer insanity of the ride but also the insanity of the restraints. It’s one of the most unique credits you’ll ever do, put it that way. And what’s more, after riding it six times or so the operator asked me “If I’d like to try it a little faster?”. My eyes lit up when it heard that, legendary boost mode unlocked! I’d read that they had stopped doing that recently so it was certainly a pleasant surprise. Sadly though I only rode it as a single rider (as my daughter wasn’t sure about it) so I didn’t get the full spinning experience on my own in the car but it most definitely had more of a kick to it. What a pity that Intamin never made any more coasters of this kind as with a redesigned restraint system they would truly be something absolutely phenomenal rather than just crazily fantastic.

Last edited:
I also rode Tornado for the first time just over a week ago. My review would be as follows: awful, horrendous, painful. I rode it just the once and was very much done. The restraints were very painful on my shoulders and I did not enjoy being flung over that first drop at all.

It's unique though, I'll give it that!

I also rode Tornado for the first time just over a week ago. My review would be as follows: awful, horrendous, painful. I rode it just the once and was very much done. The restraints were very painful on my shoulders and I did not enjoy being flung over that first drop at all.

It's unique though, I'll give it that!
Didn't fancy trying Boost Mode then Rob? :p

Gothy Citz.

Rode it a few weeks ago now (full review in Parque Warner topic) and I can't stop banging on about it. It's almost perfect.

Wasn't sure if it was top 10 at first but now I think it could even be top 5. Need to have a reshuffle.

Storm Chaser (Paultons)

(I avoid the big parks in the summer holidays)

Rode it about 12 times. It was that hot day last week, I was hot, tired and a bit dehydrated. Everytime I did it, funny things happened with my peripheral vision (is that a grey out? Never had one before?)

Cracks me up how they let 4 year olds ride it! (One little chap cried all the way up the lift hill but got off with the biggest smile on his face).

I swear that helix has more Gs than Nemesis!

Storm Chaser (Paultons)

(I avoid the big parks in the summer holidays)

Rode it about 12 times. It was that hot day last week, I was hot, tired and a bit dehydrated. Everytime I did it, funny things happened with my peripheral vision (is that a grey out? Never had one before?)

Cracks me up how they let 4 year olds ride it! (One little chap cried all the way up the lift hill but got off with the biggest smile on his face).

I swear that helix has more Gs than Nemesis!

Storm Chaser is surely the most underrated coaster in the country, the G-Force it pulls on that helix is nuts.

Several of us refused to ride the clone of that at Grona Lund on account of it being below the shame threshold. I rode in 2016 but elected not to this time, even with zero wait. I'm not entirely sure whether I'd have done it if I hadn't in the past.

Several of us refused to ride the clone of that at Grona Lund on account of it being below the shame threshold. I rode in 2016 but elected not to this time, even with zero wait. I'm not entirely sure whether I'd have done it if I hadn't in the past.

I hadn't managed to get in to Gulliver's Valley before and a +1 is a +1. Also did my first Go Gator today. I have no shame.

I've done a DAL Dragon Bront'O'Ring which is pretty much the same but I probably wouldn't do one now. I've accepted I'm never going to do 1000 coasters as there just aren't enough easily accessible good ones to justify the effort.

Anyway, moving on to the point of the topic:

The last new coaster I encountered that IS above my shame threshold was Grona's Monster, a new-gen B&M invert with a very flowing layout. There was either no space for a vertical loop or they just didn't want one, so all the inversions are rolls and corkscrews which gives it a very different feel right out of the gate. The layout felt more akin to Hals-Uber-Kopf than almost any other invert I've done. Bonus points for the mini airtime hill and excellent first drop. The underground station is a novelty, they went to town on the metro station theming but I'm not entirely sure where the monster theme fits with it. Only slight negative was an awkward bounce as it hits the brakes. The way they've fitted it into an already crowded park is highly impressive, shame they couldn't find a way to thread it through the 4 coasters at the back of the park though!

Went on Rocky Ridge Railway and it's gallic cousin Mini Mouse Coaster at Park St Paul this year.

IMG_20230813_135933.jpg

My last new coaster was the family coaster at Barry Island. Think it's the 7th Wacky Worm model I've ridden this year. Had a surprising clunk as it came off the station for the 2nd and 3rd laps.

This is why I do not count coasters.
1. Having to pay to ride such things as an adult.
2. Needless recording of sad events that have happened in the past.
3. The Ghost Train at Blackpool rolls and coasts far more, but no bugger counts that.

1. Got to meet @Alix and the Chimp
2. I'm a sad idiot
3. Fails on looking and being built like a coaster. Strike out.

Turns out Log Coaster (Gullivers Kingdom) was my 50th (ish as I’d not been counting properly before 2019), Rocky Ridge Railway was my 53rd (and latest) and @Chimpy ‘s 49th. Need to find something better for her 50th or she’ll really kick off 😂
I can confirm RRR is a bit crap. But the company was good, and it was the first time we’ve done 2 completely separate parks in one day. Nothing on the scale of a @Poisson and @MattyH adventure but it’s a start.

Thirteen.

It's bang average with increasingly rumpty theming. Outside, the ride is a simple and short family layout of around 20-30 seconds. Some thrill is reduced due to trim brakes. Inside, the drop section is fairly effective.

Throughputs, by and large, are adequate but main queue lines will suffer due to an increasing volume of guests using the exit, plus fastrack. As a result, wait times are routinely disproportionate to the quality/level of experience.

The return of Single Rider would be welcome and a full refurbishment.

The soundtrack is cheap and depressing and the wider themed area is lousy.

Rating 4/10