• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ride a Wind Turbine!

Rob

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Steel Vengeance
The Dutch sure are crazy people. This is clearly never going to actually happen but a Dutch renewable energy company have revealed plans for a sustainable theme park with numerous rides making use of wind turbines;
inhabit.com said:
If you’ve ever wanted to see the views from atop a wind turbine, your wish may soon come true. The Dutch renewable energy company Qurrent just unveiled plans to transform a wind farm into the “world’s first sustainable theme park.” Designed in collaboration with Jora Entertainment, the park will be packed with adrenaline-pumping rides from the world’s tallest spiraling water slide to an incredibly fast attraction on a turbine blade booster.

While Qurrent’s planned 8,000-square-meter theme park won’t be the first to be powered by wind, it will be the first to turn wind turbines into amusement park rides. The eco-theme park will also offer more than thrills and novelty. Qurrent envisions the park as a “celebration of environmental contribution” that will showcase Dutch renewable energy and educate the public on sustainable practices.

The wind-powered attractions will include rides such as the Beaufort Buster, a spiraling water slide that winds around the wind turbine tower; the Blade Runner, a “shockingly fast ride on a turbine blade booster;” the Newton Nightmare, a drop tower ride that descends 95 meters in 1.5 seconds; and the Happy Hurricane rollercoaster ride. In-park eateries will be solar powered.

“Within ten years from now, wind energy will be ubiquitous,” says Richard Klatten, CEO of Qurrent. “We strive to be ahead of things, and shape the future of renewable energy. Creating an environment where people can experience clean energy in a fun and educational way could be one of those. And hey – how neat would it be to tell your friends you took a ride on an actual wind turbine?”

Wind-powered-theme-park-by-Qurrent-.jpg

QURRENT_04NewtonsNightmare-1020x610.jpg

Newtons-Nightmare-Ride-by-Qurrent-1020x610.jpg

Happy-Hurricane-Ride-by-Qurrent-1020x610.jpg

Blade-Runner-by-Qurrent-1020x610.jpg

Beaufort-Buster-by-Qurrent-1020x610.jpg

Source

Looks like a mental concept with some pretty cool looking rides. It just doesn't seem at all feasible for many reasons, for starters safety! I'd imagine there's an awful lot that could go wrong.

:)

I think it'd be a cool 'land' in an existing park, but I'm not sure if I'd take the trip for those rides alone?

That's funny, I've often wondered if it would be possible to convert a wind turbine into a booster.

I think that with the right sort of attraction, these concepts could become a reality. There are a few alternative energy centres that I know of in the UK alone. These rides are basically a much more extreme version of the Green Dragon coaster at Greenwood Forest Park.

Can't see this actually happening but I really hope it does. it'd be fantastic. Be like a fun version of the Eden Project that's actually accessible to people who don't live in the south west.

Thing is, for a ride like the Blade Runner (booster) if it's not windy then the ride can't operate - surely using motors to power the thing would go against the principle of the attractions. Although I suppose it could be a 'fake' wind turbine and run on power generated by the other turbines in the park.

But then for the other attractions which do make use of real wind turbines, if it was too windy they also wouldn't be able to operate. I'd imagine they can create quite a force when rotating.

It's a lovely idea and interesting concpet but I can't see it being a feasible reality.

:)

Good point. Also, constantly stopping and starting the blades to load guests would probably use more energy than it would produce.

It reminds me of Diggerland, although looking at the rides it would require a bigger capital investment. How likely it is to work would partly depend on whether it would need to make money it's own right or whether it's a loss leader to promote the energy company.