• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ride Access Pass and Disabled Access - 2024 Discussion

I'm not personally affected but it seems like such an obviously bad idea to try and have the wheelchair access via the loading side. Offload is invariably more spacious for manoeuvring and storing a wheelchair and allowing wheelchair users to exit away from oncoming passengers is clearly less confusing for oncoming passengers who aren't expecting people to try and exit towards them.

I can sort of see why Icon wheelchair access is where it is as there's only step-free access via the speedy pass queue but the lack of a separate exit is an major oversight, especially considering that the main exit really couldn't be a much more difficult route (though I suspect the entire design of the exit was the result of a major oversight with how they've had to shoehorn it in, much like Inferno). With WM and Smiler it's just poor design though and for Hyperia they can't even claim lack of space as an excuse. It's really not difficult to occasionally hold one row to allow people to board from offload if you just route people the right way in the first place.

I would have thought air gates make it almost impossible to have wheelchair access on the boarding side of any coaster? Clearly, us armchair geeks know nothing!

Having wheelchair access on offload also causes problems with other guests

We have fewer issues on Thirteen and Blivvy. There's more space to play around with and it isn't dependent on staff remembering where the wheelchair user is.

Nemmie currently has the best system for wheelchair users as there's a separate pleb exit.

I would have thought air gates make it almost impossible to have wheelchair access on the boarding side of any coaster? Clearly, us armchair geeks know nothing!

Considering most rides require transfer it's not a big deal for us. But we're fortunate that short walking isn't a big problem. Dread to think what it's like for some guests who have far greater mobility issues.

Just a recent annoyance of mine overall.

I can sort of see why Icon wheelchair access is where it is as there's only step-free access via the speedy pass queue but the lack of a separate exit is an major oversight, especially considering that the main exit really couldn't be a much more difficult route ...
Hmmm.
Icon access.
" Rob, I know you are using the access pass (EVE at the time...enter via exit), but you must leave by the exit stairs..."
Me..."But those stairs are precisely why I am using the access pass..."
"Then you have to tell the ride staff you have left your walking aids at the Speedypass entrance gate, so you have to exit that way to collect them"...
Me..."But I don't use walking aids, and I don't tell fat fibs (much)"
"I know mate, but rules are rules, and it is the only way we can get round them sensibly"

I love the Beach.
For me to use the reasonable access on Icon...I have to lie...

True tale, about three years ago.

I believe stealth has a double-width air gate for the last car so wheelchairs can be taken right up to the train. Would assume Hyperia will have similar.

I believe stealth has a double-width air gate for the last car so wheelchairs can be taken right up to the train. Would assume Hyperia will have similar.
yeah, its rows 9 and 10 are combined into 1 large gate, pretty sure that galactica also has its last rows gates are easier to get through (there is only 1 90 degree bend not 2)

Just looking to book some days at Chessington/Legoland/Thorpe and can't get a weekend RAP slot for a month at Chessington and Thorpe Park, and over a month at Legoland! Looks like we will have to book days in July and August now rather than wait.

Seeing people in the regular Hyperia queue who have had there single RAP ride for a second ride. Where they can clearly queue 4 hours, and seemingly happy to do so for a 2nd go on Hyperia 😬

I would so dearly love these people to be identified and have their RAP entitlement/accreditation removed. With so few RAP holders in the park now I'd say it's worth the effort for them to do it.

I would so dearly love these people to be identified and have their RAP entitlement/accreditation removed. With so few RAP holders in the park now I'd say it's worth the effort for them to do it.
I was standing in a line and saw people leave the main queue to enter the RAP queue, this was a quiet week day, I had a thought if they could use those wrist band sticky stuff for RAP as an imediat way of spotting people, the wrist bands that they use at events or currently use in the parks for measuring height, they are hard to remove and pratically impossible to put back on if removed, and it would allow staff to identify someone who has an rap pass and is using the normal queue. although I wonder how accessable it would be if certain problems could lead to people being unable to wear the bands.

I was standing in a line and saw people leave the main queue to enter the RAP queue, this was a quiet week day, I had a thought if they could use those wrist band sticky stuff for RAP as an imediat way of spotting people, the wrist bands that they use at events or currently use in the parks for measuring height, they are hard to remove and pratically impossible to put back on if removed, and it would allow staff to identify someone who has an rap pass and is using the normal queue. although I wonder how accessable it would be if certain problems could lead to people being unable to wear the bands.
RAP used to utilise red and yellow wristbands before they were scrapped in favour of just the cards. I will admit that I used to hide my wristband up my sleeve, although that was mainly because I don't "look" disabled and was worried that people might call me out for using it.

Seeing people in the regular Hyperia queue who have had there single RAP ride for a second ride. Where they can clearly queue 4 hours, and seemingly happy to do so for a 2nd go on Hyperia 😬

How do you know?

There's technically no rule to say you cannot use a main queue if you have a RAP pass. It's also not realistic that your suggestion could be enforced as it would require an additional staff member at the entrance of every ride. There are probably valid exemptions we're not thinking of too (eg someone wearing a wristband on behalf of the RAP user who is not going on said attraction). You'd be creating a situation where every customer is examined and potentially questioned for every ride.

I know with my son, if the main queue is a time he can tolerate (i.e 10 minutes) we try to use the main queues where possible to help condition him to waiting whilst highly motivated, as something of a sensory break in itself if it's a pleasant queue (i.e. not a cattle pen) and as not to unnecessarily clog up the RAP queue for others (less of an issue since the capacity limit introduction). Of course it's very rare at a Merlin park that any queue is that length, only the Pirate Ship at CWOA or The Curse at AT springs to mind as ticking all those boxes and the advertised wait times are often incorrect so you need to be an experienced visitor who can visually gauge the wait as well.

On occasion skipping the main queue also means RAP users miss out on part of the experience so it's plausible some users may think they can manage.

I do agree, anyone with a RAP pass joining a 4 hour queue clearly is not in true need of it but ultimately it's now the job of Nimbus to determine who is eligible and I think i've previously made my thoughts clear on their approach. The fact the capacity limit was introduced afterwards speaks volumes in itself.

RAP at Legoland is a bit burdenous.

Think was literally only scanned once. No staff at merge points on most of them meaning you have to do the awkward merging thing.

Dragon is added to the list of "urgh why is wheelchair access on the onload side". Ninjago is the same but yay join the slow queue.

Even wheelchair access on the BRAND NEW coasters if faffy. Go up the regular queue but then diverted to the exit route. Whyyyyyy?

Any idea on Hyperia RAP today?

Both ambulant and non-ambulant RAP enter through the same queue under the arch, then ambulant proceeds up the stairs and non-ambulant go left to the lift. No one enters via the exit.

Was aware, more considering how much of a wait to expect tomorrow.

Am already annoyed by the location of the wheelchair lift.

Am already annoyed by the location of the wheelchair lift.

It does seem there is a separate large manual gate after the last row airgate that could be used for wheelchairs so you might not be battling against the flow of folks waiting to board after all? I’m no expert though, just an observation.

IMG_6833.jpeg

Both ambulant and non-ambulant RAP enter through the same queue under the arch, then ambulant proceeds up the stairs and non-ambulant go left to the lift. No one enters via the exit.
*Step free, ambulant disabled is a slightly different category.

It does seem there is a separate large manual gate after the last row airgate that could be used for wheelchairs so you might not be battling against the flow of folks waiting to board after all? I’m no expert though, just an observation.

IMG_6833.jpeg
Yep, like on stealth wheelchair users use the staff gate, it's some weird magnetic locking thing.