• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ride Access Pass Systems and Disabled Access (pre 2024)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Is the system even smart enough to deal with known reduced capacity operation or will it allocate nearly the entire capacity to reservations (I'm thinking of Chessington in particular here where none of the rides seem to be running at full capacity right now).
The system can definitely deal with known capacity restrictions, though of course that relies on it being updated when necessary.

I know that more often that not, one method used to manage the system which is effective (even if not the best approach) is for rides to be marked as 'full' when the RNR queue is getting long, thereby prohibiting further bookings. It's then reopened after a period. No idea if many parks work like this though.

I'm imagining Galactica dropping from 3 trains to 2 and things quickly getting messy as there's still hundreds of people with reservations and the only way to honour them would be to deny access to anyone else.

Following breakdowns at Disney its normal for them to either close standby queues, or put a very long wait time up and just take 90% of riders from the lightning (was fastpass) and access queue. The standby moves incredibly slowly as they will only take a handful at a time but it prevents the fastpass/access queue backing up. They have three stages of the ratio of standby to lightning/access guests depending on how long the lightning queue is and will start taking fewer standby guests when needed.

I think the scenario @John is referring to is as follows. If a ride has a hypothetical allocation of 100 per hour for two train operation, then if the ride suddenly goes down to one train, your allocation is now only 50 per hour. What if 100 people have already reserved slots? In my head the fairest solution would be to treat it the same as a real queue and push those last 50 people to the next slot, maybe use a push notification. However I could see how that might cause complaints. I suspect the current systems make no allowances for this and just honour all issued tickets at the cost of the normal queue line.

Don't believe that's correct. They can operate offline, but primarily operate online.
Ok technically yes, it's just how merlin end up actually using it that ends up effectively so

Edit to clarify: when I say offline first, im using the technical definition which basically means it can work offline most of the time.

The queue for those who can't queue. Seen on Twitter from 3 hours ago.20230407_153611.jpg
That's ridiculous. If that's not enough evidence for going digital I don't know what else they need.

Actually, Maybe the RAP photo cards should be digital, like the Discovery MAP. Then the queue would be non existent.

Read a couple of posts on Facebook saying the smiler RAP queue was over an hour today and that they went through the main queue instead…..

Goes to show, it’s not being given to the right people at all. Feel so sorry for those who genuinely can’t queue and they have to endure this crap.

Needs a total rethink, scrapping it from next season and having everyone reapply would be a start. Then perhaps go digital as others have said.

But is that queue specifically for RAP or is it a general queue for all guest service's functions? It has the general vibe of the usual queue of people out of guest services to file complaints.
Given it was taken seemingly before midday, I'd lean towards it being predominantly RAP collection.

Even still, having the two merged into one still makes a mockery of the system.

Good on them for going for what seems to be a fair compromise. Again it’s all about equal access, if a standard queuing guest can’t get on everything on a busy weekend then a RAP guest should only have equal opportunity. Providing staff have the training to deal with complaints I hope it goes some way to helping what’s becoming a crazy situation.

Good on them for going for what seems to be a fair compromise. Again it’s all about equal access, if a standard queuing guest can’t get on everything on a busy weekend then a RAP guest should only have equal opportunity. Providing staff have the training to deal with complaints I hope it goes some way to helping what’s becoming a crazy situation.
I don't agree with that. If the original RAP process was working as it should do (i.e. staff following the right procedures) then a RAP user should still only be getting on the same amount of attractions. As they'd still have to wait the same queue time on each attraction.

To take this new system to an extreme (I know) just because you have a disability it now means you can only go on a ride once a day, where as a standard guest could ride that ride all day if they wanted to.

That's not an equal opportunity, saying because you have a disability you can only ride once today. You should be able to ride the ride as many times as a standard guest should be able to.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.