• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ride Availability 2018

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
If the weather has caused the major rides to stay closed, then how has Oblivion gotten away with opening?
I'm asking myself the very same question. Oblivion didn't open on opening weekend, when it was similar weather to this.

It rained at Drayton Manor on Friday and nothing closed.
It’s Alton Towers safety mad now. I remember 21 years ago going on Nemesis in the pouring rain and a lightning storm. I had to laugh when a announcement said if the weather got any worst then Nemesis will have to stop operating.

It rained at Drayton Manor on Friday and nothing closed.
It’s Alton Towers safety mad now. I remember 21 years ago going on Nemesis in the pouring rain and a lightning storm. I had to laugh when a announcement said if the weather got any worst then Nemesis will have to stop operating.
Was the weather while you were riding worse than the weather on say, the 17th March, when the park opened?

I remember riding all the coasters in seriously torrential rain a couple of years back, the only difference being there was an announcement over the tannoys saying 'due to inclement weather rides may be more uncomfortable'. Sad times if even rain can cause these sort of closures and delays now.

Same here, it was a Saturday in June iirc when I rode in the pouring rain, it was so wet there was more water in the queue line than the river on Nemesis, and this was just a few weeks after the Smiler crash.

I also rode Stealth and Swarm in a hail storm at Thorpe in mid February with two inches of snow on the ground a few years back, all they did with Stealth was close off the front row, just to give riders a bit of protection from pebble dash.

At some point you just have to bite the bullet and run trains around the track to clear the snow/ice otherwise punters are going to start asking if other parks can and do run their rides in the same conditions, what is different about yours that prevents you from doing so?

Looks like Galactica and The Smiler are now open, Wicker Man doesn't look like it will be doing much however, the track looks covered

It’s sad to keep seeing beloved Nemmy having lots of down time.
The good old gal has always been so reliable.
:(
EBn4fR1_d.jpg

It’s sad to keep seeing beloved Nemmy having lots of down time.
The good old gal has always been so reliable.
:(
EBn4fR1_d.jpg
Well, what with it being on only one train at the moment, I'm not surprised it's suffering from more down time than usual.

It appears that they are working on one of the motors for a set of kicker wheels on the brake run.

:)

Any idea why WM's gone down? More teething issues? Hope it opens tomorrow for when I visit.

It's genuinely upsetting to see operations like this. Last Saturday, things were pretty good besides Galactica. Wicker Man suffered comparatively little downtime compared to the weekend before and The Smiler was running pretty well too. Most other rides in the park were on very low queues for the majority of the day and the park was pretty busy. However, this bad weather excuse is ridiculous given that most of the rides can operate perfectly fine in some pretty rough conditions. Sure it won't be comfortable but in all honesty, the only two factors that can really affect the rides are high winds and excessive amounts of ice on the track; the latter of which can be solved pretty easily if Merlin would fork out the staffing costs. I really hope things pick up soon or I'm not going to bother with the park again until Scarefest. Rant over.

I also rode Stealth and Swarm in a hail storm at Thorpe in mid February with two inches of snow on the ground a few years back, all they did with Stealth was close off the front row, just to give riders a bit of protection from pebble dash.
I would of braved front row on stealth.

I would of braved front row on stealth.

They wouldn't let me, I told them I was happy to take the risk but they said no.
It was one of those days where there were so few people on park that they left the gate open and you could walk through for a re-ride, think I must have ridden it in nearly every seat that day. My wife even put a jokey SOS out on Facebook asking for someone to come and drag me off.

The park opened without Nemesis yesterday, however today it is the turn of Oblivion. Galactica is also down (along with the Rapids). The park's B&Ms are being ever so unreliable at present.

:)

Enterprise, oblivion, Rita and wicker man all showing as down now. Absolutely shocking, I’m booked to go this weekend but re thinking now

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.