• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ride Availability/Operations 2022-24

It was once one of the most reliable rides on park. I gather it had a major mechanical issue which was resolved during the year of "TLC". Was it making weird noises (not thunder lightning etc) when operating this year?
I’m pretty sure the year it was closed was just for cost cutting reasons post The Smiler accident. It’s only operated for 1 1/2 days this year and was creating a knocking noise whilst the ride was in motion.

I’m pretty sure the year it was closed was just for cost cutting reasons post The Smiler accident. It’s only operated for 1 1/2 days this year and was creating a knocking noise whilst the ride was in motion.
Nah it did actually have work done that year, which included effect upgrades like the smellpods.

They wanted to have something to show for the year-long closure but they could have easily done the work over a single closed season, in all likelihood they did absolutely nothing to it in 2016.

Hex has been open on at least 3 separate occasions since the end of last season but has never stayed open for more than a few days at a time. I managed to get on it during the most recent period of operation and it was very clear at the time that it wasn't going to last long.

Nah it did actually have work done that year, which included effect upgrades like the smellpods.
Yes but I was responding to the "major mechanical issue" comment. Effect upgrades and smellpods don't equate to a major mechanical issue,

Probably worth restating that, unless I've missed something, we have had no indication of the severity of the issue. The length of the downtime has been major, but we have no idea what's actually causing it... it still could be something relatively trivial.

This CCTV issue seems silly, surely there's a way for them to operate at least some of the rides with closed CCTV systems that can send a live feed to the security office, however if the stream goes down you could have a member of security in the op both with the operator watching the CCTV. Let's hope this doesn't become a common problem,

I think everyone is focussing a lot on the pros and cons of remote viewing when in fact the real requirement here is remote recording, archiving and access.

Having 50-odd DVRs dotted around site each recording to local hard disks is a huge PITA when someone at the office in Dorset gets a letter from a guest that wants to lodge a claim that they tripped or hurt themselves on a ride.

It makes sense to me that they would want to record and archive everything centrally for ease of access. We’ve all seen that Claimed and Shamed show - running footage back to investigate complaints and incidents must be a fairly regular occurrence for a business of this size, and if comms go down and interrupt recording, there’s no way they could let ops continue.

I also rode today and noticed that on my row the restraint release mechanism on the left-most seat had been physically disabled - the seat remained locked when the rest of the restraints opened (yes we tested it, before anyone asks).

I had assumed this was the case for both rows on all shuttles as from what I saw none were using all 8 seats

How very odd. I wonder if something like the holding brake is on the way out and they're limping it on due to a lack of parts, so underfilling the shuttles to save the weight?

I have no idea how the restraints release but could it be something to do with a sensor of some kind in the station not unlocking them properly? Pardon my ignorance of how it works if this sounds stupid.

The restraint release is a mechanical system. You can see the part of the mechanism on the trains in this photo in the TS gallery:

1662326392605.png
When the bars are unlocked a plate pushes up on each corner of the train. This movement is converted to rotational movement of the silver bar visible at the bottom of the photo. In turn, this rotational movement is converted to linear movement in the link cables running up each seat (dark blue). The other end of those cables will be attached to some part of the restraint locking mechanism (I've never seen one disassembled so this is educated guesswork on my part).

From what I saw today, it appears the link cables in the left most seats have been disconnected. I still have no idea why.