• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ride Availability/Operations 2022-24

Worst season in a long time is a stretch, try 2016 or 2017 for dire.

I'm not buying Brexit as an excuse. At work we get parts from Switzerland, Italy, Germany and the US fairly easily, even ones with big batteries with the extra fire risk. You pay and it'll turn up. Smacks of Towers doing things on the cheap, hopefully it gets knocked on the head asap under the new leadership.

Both very very average
They open Sub Terra and close Hex
I don't buy into this needing a new drum rubbish, they've closed Hex and the Sky Ride to save money.

You clearly haven’t heard the racket the drum makes just before it closes for a period, you can hear it over the music.

Towers have no reason not to open them if they can this season, they where definitely budgeted for. If they never planned to open them they would have pulled a TLC con like they did last time when they where trying to make savings after the Smiler crash.

Unfortunately for the conspiracy theorists in the room they where both planned to be open.

No idea on the problem with the Skyride but in terms of Hex, one major issues is that they've gone for the relatively cheap fixes over the last few years which just haven't worked and the same issues have just re-occurred. It sounds like they might actually be getting Vekoma involved this time, which is a start. If after a proper fix next year it still keeps having issues, you have to wonder whether they should just cut their losses and get rid.

I do feel for those who rely on the Skyride to traverse the park, not having it available for a whole season is pretty unacceptable no matter the reason.

Haven't they forgotten a certain B&M? 😛
It's a good point, there are honestly a lot of day visitors who genuinely don't know it isn't operating. Or they join the queue for NST and wonder why it isn't a coaster...

I guess the marketing last year led with Nemesis closing for good and [something (Nemesis Reborn?)] replacing it as a new attraction in 2024. So it's not an unavailable ride because it doesn't actually exist as either permutation right now.

The skyride is a system that's been patched up for decades. We all know the new gondals were a great attempt at extending its life span and the wire cable has been replaced a few times but I wonder now if the heavy lifting parts of the ride are now towards the end of their life.

The towers and metal structures must get metal fatigue. You think of the stress on the supports across the valleys and the joints on the cable rollers. It's been open since the 80s90s? In that time table top mountain has had 3 versions of the system put in. And Although it's not big altons must be towards the end of its life.

Hex is inexcusable... at this rate the park will have more funfair rides that theme park ones.

The skyride is a system that's been patched up for decades. We all know the new gondals were a great attempt at extending its life span and the wire cable has been replaced a few times but I wonder now if the heavy lifting parts of the ride are now towards the end of their life.

The towers and metal structures must get metal fatigue. You think of the stress on the supports across the valleys and the joints on the cable rollers. It's been open since the 80s90s? In that time table top mountain has had 3 versions of the system put in. And Although it's not big altons must be towards the end of its life.

Hex is inexcusable... at this rate the park will have more funfair rides that theme park ones.

The structures can survive a long time (you don’t see them rebuilding bridges every 30 years. The rest does get replaced intermittently. The ropes in particular are done relatively regularly in the grand scheme of things.

In 2006 I doubt they would have invested so heavily in the gondolas if the ride had less than 20 years life left in it.

Why are people assuming they'll get rid rather than do a major Hex 2.0 upgrade if the drum is dead? Hex is quite an iconic ride within the park and it's been desperately needing upgrades for a while now -- if it's shut for a few years but comes back updated that would be great.

Why are people assuming they'll get rid rather than do a major Hex 2.0 upgrade if the drum is dead? Hex is quite an iconic ride within the park and it's been desperately needing upgrades for a while now -- if it's shut for a few years but comes back updated that would be great.
it had a "refurb" not long ago tbf, all improvements and replacements should have been done during this time, clearly the issues they're having are occurring due to quick temporary fixes rather than a proper replacement, kinda dissapointing, however, we do now have 3 other dark rides on park so for this season it'll have to do

The availability issues are still a problem this far into the season. Runaway Mine Train has been closed for the past 3 days, for an unknown reason.

the runaway mine train front car detached from the rest of the train in the tunnel, the ride area was completely cut off with barriers on wednesday when i went past. so that'll be gone for a while
If true, I'm surprised that that didn't make the news... that almost sounds like the 2006 incident all over again, albeit without the actual crash.

Merlin aren't having much luck with Mack Powered Coasters at the moment, are they? Between Scorpion Express being in purgatory and whatever is up with RMT, it does seem like the company are going through some bad luck with their Mack Powered Coasters at the moment...

If true, I'm surprised that that didn't make the news... that almost sounds like the 2006 incident all over again.

Merlin aren't having much luck with Mack Powered Coasters at the moment, are they? Between Scorpion Express being in purgatory and whatever is up with RMT, it does seem like the company are going through some bad luck with their Mack Powered Coasters at the moment...
787DA278-643D-4501-8104-B6EC0F01BBA7.jpeg
I thought the same, when my little brother asked if it would reopen, one of the ride hosts quite harshly said it definitely wouldn't reopen.
this is the photo i've seen a few times on my feed, if true, they're gonna have to try and sort this issue out fairly quick!!

Am I right in thinking the RMT can be parked in the tunnel by design? To keep it undercover etc?

So the fact it is parked there with the front car separated is likely for maintence reasons as opposed to there having been some incident as was implied above?