• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ride/park accidents in 2013/2014

Good news regarding Ninja at Magic Mountain, it has re-opened following an inspection by the state.

However a lawsuit has been filed against Six Flags following the accident. Two people involved want reimbursement for their medical expenses, loss of earnings and emotional distress. The lawyer is arguing that the coaster should not have been built in and around trees. Don't get me started on how pathetic that is! I'd imagie they don't have a leg to stand on.

:)

I can understand them wanting money back for medical expenses and compensation for emotional distress but hopefully it doesn't go into the stupid numbers. Six Flags should pay the full medical bill for all those that needed medical assistance and should pay money to the whole train for emotional distress. Especially the people at the front deserve it as it must of been pretty horrendous being where they were.

I agree on it being pathetic about not building the ride around trees though. Lawyers will grab onto anything to make their case sound worthy. Silly really, the only things that should be paid out by Six Flags is the money I mentioned above and the judge should just laugh at 'the coaster should not have been built in and around trees' part. It was a terrible freak accident that lucky no one lost their lives to.

Good to hear that Ninja has been passed as safe by the state and is once again reopen. Also good to hear that Green Lantern has reopened around the same time - hopefully the problem down in Benidorm gets figured out and the right parties get punished. Still won't make up for the poor lad that tragically died though.

Unless it's found that Six Flags knew the tree that fell down was unsafe but did nothing about it or that they hadn't been carrying out any tree surveys that they should have been then I don't feel that they should have to pay anything. Its not their fault if the tree just fell down! But I'm no law expert and things probably work differently over in the USA anyway.

/\ I understand where you are coming from but the accident happened on Six Flags' land and happened on one of their rides. They are liable to protect their guest that come into their park everyday and this is why they would have insurance covering them - probably like public liability insurance or the likes here but I don't know so won't comment further on what they would have.

Its a bit of a weird thing to compare it too but think of car insurance. If I was driving my car and had to suddenly serve because of a tree falling in the way but crashed into you on the other side of the road I would still be liable for the accident so it would come from my insurance. It wasn't my fault per se but I would still be liable. Sad but true.

Good point, for some reason I had forgotten all about insurance. That would make a lot more sense. I was seeing it as the lawyers may be attempting effectively press charges against the park for something that is not their fault. Paying out of insurance though is something that would work.

I think its obvious the SF's insurance will pay out for the damages, that is a given. I think this is more the lawyers trying to point the blame at SF thus resulting in a bigger payout. SF could be classed as negligent if the court rules in favor of the lawyers claim. I sincerely trust/hope that this won't happen though as it is quite apparent that this was a freak accident.

It is the Lawyers job/in the law firms interest to pursue a claim for ANYTHING they can imagine, probably not even expecting to win on many of the proposed accounts. Its a bad day for theme parks if the courts rule that SF are to blame for putting a roller-coaster near a wood/trees. Can-of-worms springs to mind.

According to Sky News 24 people are stuck on Jokers Jinx at Six Flags America. Looks like it could be some sort of malfunction in the launch as it seems to be rather close to the start of the ride.

The local emergency services are saying that crews are attempting a high angle rescue to get the people off the Joker’s Jynx ride. A statement from the park said the cars stopped about 45 feet above the ground and contain 24 people on board.
Bus7eBwIAAIUGa7.jpg

At this stage it's not known what went wrong on the ride to cause the girl's death but it's understood the girl's body was so badly mangled that police at the scene were only able to determine the victim was female.

Daymn! :S

I can only assume that the poor kid got crushed under one of the hubs. But how did she get there? Fell out of a car? Jumpped a fence and got in to the ride area?

That's horrendous, possibly one of the worst injuries to happen on an amusement ride since the infamous Mindbender accident.