• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ride/park accidents in 2013/2014

BigAl said:
Future versions should be fitted with some kind of flexible rubber mat to cover the floor of the boat that lets water run out, allows for the segments to move easily and also provides a little bit more grip for riders getting in and out.

Honestly Al, I really don't think there's any need for them. You can see in the image below how the footwell is contained, and quite a lot lower than the joints for flexing. I find it very hard to believe you could just accidentally slip your foot into there. You'd have to be moving it some way out of the footwell to get to it. Plus, aren't Vekoma rapids discontinued now?

SFH_El_Rio_Grande.jpg

Hafema are the same. They have plates which cover the joints in any areas where the rider will ever need to step, but again, the considerably sunken footwell makes it near impossible to let your feet just wander into the gap by accident.

riverquest_pic.jpg

These boat designs are a lot my sophisticated and thought out than those naff Intamin plug boats we see so often at Towers and Thorpe :p

Ah I was under the impression that the gap was larger. I've never been on either a Hafema or a Vekoma rapids so I don't know much about them. I have always been under the impression that the Hafema model at least is a far superior model to most others from what I've read on the Internet, but this made me question that until you've posted that picture showing the boat from above. I'll be interested to hear about how the girl injured her foot on the Vekoma model (which isn't made anymore like you said).

:)

Well looking at some offride videos it is fairly obvious that the girl must have got her foot caught between the sections. If it happened mid ride then I would assume that the rider must have exited the passenger section and tried to cross to a different one. If the incident happened in the station then I would suggest that there is some serious safety issues with the design. The story doesn't really say much though. Terrible thing to happen though, please all have a good time at these parks but do be sensible and follow safety instructions at all times.

Does anyone remember when that tit jumped in the rapids at AT?

Not an accident but worthy of reporting nonetheless; a woman visiting Six Flags New England was bitten by a rabid skunk! There's a short report on it here. :p

A sinkhole, 60 feet in diameter and 15 feet deep, has reduced part of the Summer Bay Resort at Walt Disney World to rubble. According to firefighters, nobody was injured.

Read more about it here.

America seems to be full of sink holes at the moment. Must be all that fracking.

Still, if you build your theme park on a swamp, I guess it's asking for trouble.

From Le dauphine

ledauphine.com said:
28 personnes sont restées bloquées plus d’une heure en haut du Boomerang, le grand huit du parc de Walibi Rhône-Alpes aux Avenières. Les opérations d’évacuation viennent juste d’être terminées. Le manège s’est arrêté dans des circonstances encore indéterminées. Les pompiers ont envoyé un hélicoptère sur place pour acheminer du matériel de secours et ont ensuite dégagé les passagers dans une mauvaise posture, à plusieurs mètres de hauteur. Selon la direction du parc d’attractions, c’est peu avant 15 heures qu’ un wagon de cette attraction, qui promet des sensations à ses usagers, est resté bloqué sur la partie centrale de la structure.

ob_d3319663df3f469032a56c6f000d4d70_ledauphine.jpg

The smiler isnt the only one! Walibi Rhone Alpes Boomerang (in France) was stuck in the middle of the track on sunday. No one was hurt, and the park doesnt know why such an incident happened.
This boomerang was built in 1988, I rode it many years ago and found it really bad! And knowing the park, it isnt surprising. A few years ago, a child falled from their wild mouse...

It's odd that the two UK Boomers don't have that evac catwalk on the middle of the cobra.

Oh my!! Didn't/don't all the giant inverted boomerangs have that catwalk on the cobra roll? Glad no one was injured :)

Sent using Tapatalk

Scott said:
It appears a small girl is in critical condition after falling from the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland Paris:

http://www.lefigaro.fr/actualite-france/2013/10/30/01016-20131030ARTFIG00520-accident-a-disneyland-un-enfant-entre-la-vie-et-la-mort.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Well, it's clearly the parent's fault; the only reason a child would fall is if they were stood up, which should've been stopped by the parents. It's a shame there's a risk for DLP over the parent's stupidity.

Screamscape said:
Park News - (11/4/13) According to the latest update the family lawsuit against Six Flags over Texas over the death on the New Texas Giant was amended to also include Gerstlauer as a co-defendant. This isn’t surprising as Six Flags has said all along that they denied any claims of negligence and that they followed all safely protocols and standards from the manufacture of the train and restraint system, Gerstlauer, which was previously not named in the lawsuit. Click here to read more.

Things not going too well for Gerst at the moment, they're starting to acquire an Intamin-esque reputation...

Just read through a paper, Star Flyer in Edinburgh seat fell apart and left a woman holding on for dear life as her seat tumbled to the ground, the passengers were immediately taken down, with her still dangling from the chains, she was completely shocked and was sick due to the fear.

We all know how safe THEME PARK rides are, but, what about these portable star flyers? I know Six Flags and Cedar Fair are keen on them, but this is a portable one, so what do you guys think? :)

jackandylan123 said:
Just read through a paper, Star Flyer in Edinburgh seat fell apart and left a woman holding on for dear life as her seat tumbled to the ground, the passengers were immediately taken down, with her still dangling from the chains, she was completely shocked and was sick due to the fear.

We all know how safe THEME PARK rides are, but, what about these portable star flyers? I know Six Flags and Cedar Fair are keen on them, but this is a portable one, so what do you guys think? :)

Are you working for The Sun? What actually happened was a bit of the back of the seat broke off and fell down. The seat most certainly didn't "fall apart" and the chains were perfectly in tact. It was apparently cleared safe the next day.

^I don't think so as they didn't have eye witness quotes saying some rubbish, but even so, it'd still be scary to see a seat's back break.

anyway, thanks for that, should be more careful about what I read in papers after what happened with air and the smiler ;)

edit: Ok, lets stop me from looking a bloody idiot for believing a newspaper and move on, aye? ;)

It was very much only the back of the seat which is only there to look nice. Yes, the experience would've been terrifying, but in no way was it the escape from death that the Sun would like it to be.