• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ride/Park Accidents

I am very curious to see how this happened, as he must have surely hit on something other than the water to break two vertebrae in his neck.

Hitting water at speed can half hurt. However unlikely to cause serious injuries unless the guy head hit the bottom of the pool or just happen to hit the water awkwardly which is very unlikely, but could just be a freak accident.

There is a video which shows somebody in the adjacent slide going down at the same time as him, so maybe he struck that person (the video does not show the last few seconds).

Hitting water at speed can half hurt. However unlikely to cause serious injuries unless the guy head hit the bottom of the pool or just happen to hit the water awkwardly which is very unlikely, but could just be a freak accident.
I mean hit water at enough speed and it could cause injuries too, but surely these rides should be well below that threshold.

I suspect he failed to keep his head lifted, this would be against their given instructions they refer to. You are supposed to skim the pool with your head lifted until the speed trips and you stop skimming. Enter the pool with your head dipped into the water and the force will snap your head forward damaging your neck.

America (strangely Illinois again) - Woman receives minor injury when she falls from coaster. Appears the rear car has ejected her when it derailed due to a gap opening up in the track join, visible in this pic.

web+-+plainfield+ride+7-18.png

Looks like a 'knocked up in a shed' coaster to me.

plainfield-fest-ride___19153356640.jpg

oopsie!

Last edited:
Not really a ride accident, but theme park related. Japanese park worker dies after dancing around in a mascot costume for 20 minutes during a heatwave. Nasty.

Merlin may respond with a knee jerk removal of all character costume entertainment. So no change required across the whole estate then.
Not only did you beat me to posting that unfortunate news myself by minutes, but you also beat me to the exact same merlin comment I was going to make.
I would "like" your post, but that might seem a bit insensitive to the unfortunate death.

Merlin may respond with a knee jerk removal of all character costume entertainment. So no change required across the whole estate then.
Alton Towers have at least 10 costumes that they use on a daily basis on park plus more out at the hotels and an additional 5 for scarefest.
Chessington have been using 7 in their Gruffalo Show plus meet and greets.

If you want costume characters your just visiting the wrong areas.

Not really a ride accident, but theme park related. Japanese park worker dies after dancing around in a mascot costume for 20 minutes during a heatwave. Nasty.

I don’t think it would be a knee jerk reaction if they did that. Given how hot it has been in England, would sound like a sensible precaution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Walt Disney World says hi.
I don't know about Florida but I know Disneyland Paris have been cutting full costume meets and utilising light weight costumes for face characters through the recent heat wave.

:eek:

Two questions:
  • Why are there controls for the magnitude? Surely start/stop is all you need with the actual amplitude etc. calibrated and set by the engineering department.
  • Why is it possible to set the magnitude to an injurious value? If it is adjustable by the operator then it shouldn't be possible to set it to a dangerous value.

Maybe the top numbers are ment for surfing?

Anyway, surely there should be an automatic safety-cut-off if the computer detects a problem? :confused: